Gareth Emery

Londoner

Before I start, I'm not a massive trance fan these days....but

I caught some of GE at SW4 this weekend. What a dick. Talk about loving yourself. Bit of an actress up there, pulling faces, talking over his set etc etc.

And the music itself, he would drop a song for all of a minute and then bring it back down. Now I know you are meant to build a crowd up, and down and back up and so on. But not every bloody minute. Only reason I saw him was as my mates wanted to see him.

Just my 2 pennies. Anyone a fan?

Great DJ but a man increasingly proving himself to be one of the scene's biggest dicks. He genuinely loves himself and spends a lot of time whinging about critics and ranting like a diva. Also the whole Global pull out recently did not help him.

Ex fan here. First saw him years ago when he was first starting out and often played the small club I used to frequent in Manchester (as did Above and Beyond). He used to be one of my favourites a couple of years back but he's really gone up his own arse of late. Not particularly looking forward to seeing him at Cream tbh and might do one to the terrace. We'll see.

Was my favourite DJ for many years, used to host some of the best nights with his podcast parties & Garuda events at Sankeys. He used to be one of the best at building up his sets with some quality progressive tracks before hitting full on Trance goodness.

He's changed his style far too much of late (as have many other DJs - Ferry Corsten remixing Justin Bieber?!?!) so im not that big a fan anymore.
Prefer to listen to his sisters music :lol:

Blokes a fool.

Refused to play for Global Gathering because his name was one place lower than an original flyer (he was listed below Ferry) had a strop and pulled out

Gareth Emery's set at Transmission in Prague last year was EPIC!

Have a listen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqgxRobejrE

If he plays like this at Cream closing it'll be EPIC!!!

But yeah I know what you mean, on the odd occasion he drops the ball and think he's doing his radio show LOL...I think that's when he's as munted as us behind the decks hahaha...Haven't seen it happen too often though, I think we'll be in for a treat at Cream Closing, he's going to put on his A game ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ikoda aka Ben is a BIG fan! I'm sure he'll have a few words :lol:

Sure, I'll have a word... or five. :lol:

I was a big fan, up until a few months ago, started to get bored of him now to be honest. He's beginning to really show himself as a complete tool, a spoilt diva who can't come up with his own ideas, his productions aren't as good (the saga is pretty poor if you ask me), his podcast has gone downhill and his live sets have gotten boring (he's still playing the same mashups he came up with nearly two years ago!), they are predictable. Look over any of his livesets from the last year, they are the same tracklists (bar a track or two) in different orders.

A year ago, the Cream line up I'm going to (13th August, Above & Beyond, Gareth Emery, Mat Zo) would have made me weak at the knees. Now, with the kind of sets A&B and Emery play...blargh. It'll still be good, but I know they can play better.

Blokes a fool.

Refused to play for Global Gathering because his name was one place lower than an original flyer (he was listed below Ferry) had a strop and pulled out

Think there was more to it than this, to be honest. Godskitchen and Garuda have at least put that night for their fans who missed him play at Global to make up for that whole debacle.

Sure, I'll have a word... or five. :lol:

I was a big fan, up until a few months ago, started to get bored of him now to be honest. He's beginning to really show himself as a complete tool, a spoilt diva who can't come up with his own ideas, his productions aren't as good (the saga is pretty poor if you ask me), his podcast has gone downhill and his live sets have gotten boring (he's still playing the same mashups he came up with nearly two years ago!), they are predictable. Look over any of his livesets from the last year, they are the same tracklists (bar a track or two) in different orders.

I think you have a point here. To be fair to him, the last 2 occasions I've seen him, he's been really good - fantastic even. And I like the fact he tries to play a bit of everything in terms of style. Not everyone likes house mingling with trance on the dancefloor, but up to a point, I'm fine with it. It's the way of things in clubland at the moment.

But I can see there being a tipping point somewhere (and we've already seen it with the podcast) where he edges himself very firmly into those more 'fashionable' commercial house circles. Let's face it, he's a diva and a bit of a poser, so he's likely to have more of an eye on what's popular and cool as opposed to being creative and different.

Strangely, GE is probably on a similar path to the one that Sander Van Doorn has been on. The difference is, given Sander's background in more techy, dark music, Sander's shift has been more organic and less commercial. Plus, Sander is one of the nicest, down-to-earth DJs around (maybe the nicest) and the complete opposite of this diva character that Emery has become. It's easy to be cynical and negative about someone's music when a guy's a tosser.

And as you say, like A&B, he needs to freshen his set list up a bit. A&B are far worse in that regard, but there are handful of tracks that he's doing to death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree to a point with the easy to be cynical when a guy is a tosser, but I've always rated Andy Moor's music, and he is a complete tosser. :lol:

I follow Emery on fb, and he really does like to show off the lavish lifestyle he has. Not that I can nesseciarly blame him. Without tracks like Metropolis and Mistral, he wouldn't be here today. I think that's the problem with GE, he's surviving off tracks he made 3 - 4 years ago.
GE to me is all about the commercial music now. I still enjoy his sets, but I don't rank them as peak time sets, compared to the likes of Armin or Paul Oakenfold.

A&B still play 'On a Metropolis Day', which is a track I'd sorely wish they'd retire. So many other amazing tracks on their back catalog to play... come on boys, please! Seen them 12 times in the last 18 months I think (or some stupid number like that), heard it at every gig...

I wouldn't say Gaz is a tosser, always been great to have a decent conversation with on nights out & when I've seen him out & about in Manchester. Pretty down to earth guy.
Tbh if I was earning decent money to travel the world doing what I love I think I'd probably show off a bit too just through pure excitement.

podcast parties & Garuda events at Sankeys.

He did bring trance back to Manchester which was ace. The Podcast parties in particular were immense. Garuda nights themselves were a bit too rammed as Sankeys does get but I met back up with my long lost best mate in the loos at one of them and now we are off to Ibiza together for the first time this year :)

I think he's a great DJ, had a wicked time at Cream whenever he's been on and caught him upstairs for a quick chat. Seems very down to earth.

Bit of a weird one with the Global cancellation - but FairPlay to everyone involved for the free show that they're putting on to compensate!

True though - you cannot beat his old stuff - but Concrete Angel is a fantastic tune!

I think he's a great DJ, had a wicked time at Cream whenever he's been on and caught him upstairs for a quick chat. Seems very down to earth.

Bit of a weird one with the Global cancellation - but FairPlay to everyone involved for the free show that they're putting on to compensate!

True though - you cannot beat his old stuff - but Concrete Angel is a fantastic tune!

Yeah. JoCs Remix of it is crazy. :)
Guess I've listened to too many of Emery's livesets of late, haha :lol:

some of you might be interested in this new spoof EDM mockumentary series that Gareth Emery is involved in.

It might be funny. It might not.

It is called:

"We Are CVNT5"

To give it some context, it's something of a follow up to the music video he did for his track CVNT5 a couple years ago. It's actually not a bad trance track on it's own, and the video is mocking commentary on his impression of the mainstream EDM DJs. I think the guest appearance by another major trance DJ is pretty hilarious. ;)

Back