Free water...CULTURE SHOCK

Rebecca G

Just wondering.....people that live in Ibiza..aren't you a little pissed that water isn't free?

You don't have any water fountains and no one brings you a glass of water with your meal. It seemed ludicrous to me to pay for water @ restaurants. It must be terribly expensive for the locals. I would assume that considering the amount of money the island makes; they should be able to convert the salty water of the Mediterranean Sea into drinkable tap water.

Just wondering...do any of the major clubs donate part of their money toward helping the Ibizan community? Things like providing new technology in schools, fixing paved streets, etc.?

Desalination is not yet a universally practical option. There is a severe shortage of clean, freshwater in many places around the world. One of the worst examples I've read about is children playing in disease ridden puddles in some third world countries.

"Right now, 1.1 billion people on the planet don't have access to safe, clean drinking water."
Source: http://www.charitywater.org/whywater/

One organization that is actively working to address the global water crisis is charitywater.org .

Its founder, coincidentally, was a promoter who left the nightlife industry to work on this cause.

As far as Ibiza, the showers and faucets in the Jet apartments, for example, use saltwater. Even the coffee and tea in the restaurant-cafeteria is salty.

Last edited by a moderator:
stephen

we don;t all drink beer or wine like you.a bottle of water does you good.i know a few restaurant.that spend loads of euro;s just on water to cook.plus they pay a lot just for normal water/but you cannot really drink it or cook with it.only good enough for a shave and bath/shower

i guess we are lucky in the uk.just turn a tap on.and fresh water to drink,only thing is we don;t get that the better weather to go with it.

just goes to show you the things we take for granted. i recently found out my city's tap water has the same electrolytes as Gatorade, weird.

Just wondering.....people that live in Ibiza..aren't you a little pissed that water isn't free?

Where on earth did you get the idea that water is available for free anywhere in the world?

The cost of that "free" jug of water on the table in your local restaurant is factored into the price that you pay for your meal.

Uh...in Chicago we get FREE water with meals @ restaurants. In fact...most restaurants in the U.S. give you a complimentary glass of water. Also we have water fountains. It just struck me as strange that there were no water fountains. As I stated earlier...CULTURE SHOCK!

As far beverages and food begin "factored" into your meal..I'm aware of that. It's not really noticeable here. Unlike in Ibiza, when I asked for a glass of water @ a restaurant, I was shocked that they charged me 2 euros for it! A little glass of water! That's crazy!

Where on earth did you get the idea that water is available for free anywhere in the world?

The cost of that "free" jug of water on the table in your local restaurant is factored into the price that you pay for your meal.

Back