Fraud! Remembrance Day conman who marched with 'impossible' haul of 17 medals

Warren D

Quote:

Fraud! Remembrance Day conman who marched with 'impossible' haul of 17 medals

By Fay Schlesinger
Last updated at 9:11 AM on 05th December 2009

Cheered by thousands as he marched alongside brave troops during a Remembrance Day parade, he looked every inch the battle-hardened war veteran.
But on closer inspection, his striking collection of 17 medals - including the Distinguished Service Order and Military Cross - was not what it seemed.
No single servicemen could have been awarded all the medals, and they were wrongly displayed, experts said last night.

Enlarge

Enlarge
Last night a hunt was under way for the fraudster after he took part in a big Remembrance Day parade in Bedworth, Warwickshire.
Wearing decorations without authority is a criminal offence under the Army Act 1955.
Bereaved families of servicemen killed in Afghanistan were among the crowds who applauded as he passed, but organisers became suspicious when they noticed his array of medals. He wore badges from campaigns including the Second World War, Korea and the Falklands, medals for both officers and other ranks, and foreign decorations.

The man, in a beige SAS beret, was confronted by a march organiser. He is said to have admitted to being a fake before leaving.

Martin Harrison, a medals expert from the Bedworth Armistice Day Parade committee, said the display of decorations was clearly fake.

Enlarge So proud: Veterans hold military banners at the parade
He said: 'To start with you never wear two rows of medals - you wear one long row overlapping. The entire order is wrong.
'But the real outrage is over the gallantry awards. Swanning around with things he is not entitled to, especially under the present circumstances, is offensive.'

did you loose your mind since moving to cala vadella ? :lol:

Have a search of climategate if you are bored, The government`s of the world are lying (nothing new there) global warming is a pile of tosh, we need more pollution or we are going to freeze to death.

Have a good one
Tim

OK lads you can call off the search. He's been found.

A "WALTER MITTY" figure who outraged veterans by marching in a Remembrance Day parade wearing an SAS beret and an "impossible" array of medals was last night identified by local veterans.
Roger Day, from Earl Shilton, Leicestershire, had worn medals apparently dating from the Korean war and the Gulf war while on parade at Bedworth, Warwickshire, alongside 600 veterans.
Well-wishers, who included the recently bereaved families of servicemen, had clapped and cheered.
However, suspicious organisers challenged him and he admitted the deception, disappearing into the crowd.

Day joined the Hinckley Ex-Service Club two years ago, declining to state which regiment he served in. George Duffus, chairman of the Bedworth branch of the Parachute Regiment Association, said two of his members were ex-SAS and had challenged Day: "If he was in the SAS, they would have known him.
"They asked him where he served and it was obvious that he wasn't genuine. When they challenged him, he admitted he wasn't genuine and he left. Regretfully, there are these people about."
Last night Day claimed he could not talk about his claimed SAS service "because of the Official Secrets Act".
"I can't comment on that, like I can't give you any real relevant details. I'm still tied under a lot of the Official Secrets Act," he said.
"They're all proper, pukka campaign medals. Medals I won in conflicts while I was serving with the British forces. All I can say is south Atlantic, the Gulf, Kuwait and one or two other stations."
Members of the Army Rumour Service internet forum are petitioning Gordon Brown to make it illegal for people to misrepresent themselves as having served in the armed forces or having been awarded medals for gallantry.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6946105.ece#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=797084

... an over sized photo.

20hasn9.jpg

that bloke must be under the influence of forbidden substances -
or is there another excuse for that disgusting psychedelic-hippy-woodstock-tie ? :lol:

Back