Frankie In London

Robo

For those that haven't seen it elsewhere..

Frankie Knuckles, 4 hour set, Easter Sunday.

Get in....

Changed to Easter Saturday. Typical as I'd just booked hotel for the Sunday.

Changed to Easter Saturday. Typical as I'd just booked hotel for the Sunday.
If you do the night properly, you might only need the room around check-in time on Sunday :lol:
(I'm sure they'll store your bags in the interim ;) )

a rather excellent interview with the Godfather - although he paints a not particularly pretty picture of New York nightlife right now...

http://www.faithfanzine.com/?p=798

gutted to be missing this party..

Thanks Olly Great article! It is not only the New York nightlife it is across the USA. I am jealous of the different clubs with line ups you guys have there. It is bleak here all flash with no substance.

Thanks Olly Great article! It is not only the New York nightlife it is across the USA. I am jealous of the different clubs with line ups you guys have there. It is bleak here all flash with no substance.

I thought it was a really good point about the disneyfication of New York

Howeveer I still don't get it though - there's 8, 10, 15million people in New York right?

there must be something happening under the radar? All those supercool DFA or body & soul parties I keep reading about - are they all just in small bars?

I thought it was a really good point about the disneyfication of New York

Howeveer I still don't get it though - there's 8, 10, 15million people in New York right?

there must be something happening under the radar? All those supercool DFA or body & soul parties I keep reading about - are they all just in small bars?

Post 9-11 people are worried about security, and the underground stuff has been snuffed out pretty much. I like a little grime in my Nightlife if you know what I mean. The scene has changed. I could be jaded because I remember how it was before. I have friends that think the same way I do. The clubs/bars are there but they don't have the soul they use to have. I don't go to clubs to pop bottles and sit in VIP. The Mayor Bloomberg has all but outlawed fun with his clean up efforts. I still like New York but it has changed sadly.

so are there little rave dens going off at 9 in the moring or has all that stuff been swept away in NYC???

I just find it bizarre that there aren't focal points in new york for the various art, creative, latino, gay crowds - there must be different communities doing interesting things on the quiet?

Am suddenly trying to imagine the horror of how bland London would be if everywhere was like North Sheen :eek:

I just find it bizarre that there aren't focal points in new york for the various art, creative, latino, gay crowds - there must be different communities doing interesting things on the quiet?

Am suddenly trying to imagine the horror of how bland London would be if everywhere was like North Sheen :eek:

Still tons of interesting scenes, places in ny. The whole 'big room' era is over, at least as far as commercial clubs in manhattan. There are warehouse parties, art collectives, etc all over brooklyn, bronx, queens. Even manhattan has a few good, legal clubs left - good units, santos, lpr, etc.
Things are actually looking better now than they have in years - no, it will never be like the early 90s, but there is always something going on - crowds still tend to be a lot less mixed than in days past, but even that is slowly changing...also, live music/diy scene is blowing up, lots of crazy parties in
apartments/lofts/etc. but it is very young, i went to see a colleague's band and felt ancient- but those kids were having a great time.

As much as i love and respect frankie knuckles, he is really out of touch. He needs to put his $ up and create something new instead of criticising , while contributing to the problem - he only plays ****ty commercial/bottle service venues in manhattan, why doesn't he drop his fee once a month and play a gay club in the.bronx or something? or better yet, open something in chicago- i had to spend some time there for.work, that city has no nightlife during the week, at best a (small) room open until 2 on weekends

Still tons of interesting scenes, places in ny. The whole 'big room' era is over, at least as far as commercial clubs in manhattan. There are warehouse parties, art collectives, etc all over brooklyn, bronx, queens. Even manhattan has a few good, legal clubs left - good units, santos, lpr, etc.
Things are actually looking better now than they have in years - no, it will never be like the early 90s, but there is always something going on - crowds still tend to be a lot less mixed than in days past, but even that is slowly changing...also, live music/diy scene is blowing up, lots of crazy parties in
apartments/lofts/etc. but it is very young, i went to see a colleague's band and felt ancient- but those kids were having a great time.

As much as i love and respect frankie knuckles, he is really out of touch. He needs to put his $ up and create something new instead of criticising , while contributing to the problem - he only plays ****ty commercial/bottle service venues in manhattan, why doesn't he drop his fee once a month and play a gay club in the.bronx or something? or better yet, open something in chicago- i had to spend some time there for.work, that city has no nightlife during the week, at best a (small) room open until 2 on weekends

Can you recommend something specific for next week? I'm in town Monday-Monday.

Much appreciated.

I think I'm inclined to agree with this. He's in a great position to rant - lord knows I have about the ebb and flow of the UK scene over the years...but I don't think his moan should be taken at face value.

In interviews, Cosmo is always talking about the sudden resurgence of the warehouse scenes in the outer boroughs run by art collectives and passionate kids that only play vinyl etc.

I for one had a life defining time of it when I was out there last. Like the UK DiY rave scene, the garage era is dead and buried with any hopes to rekindle it fizzling out like a wet fart. It's time to clear the decks to make way for new blood and from a professional point of view (despite his continued relevance) Knuckles runs the risk of becoming a dinosaur if he speaks his truth in such a brash way so publically.

inspiring post - have you got any links to any footage of these parties?

I think I'm inclined to agree with this. He's in a great position to rant - lord knows I have about the ebb and flow of the UK scene over the years...but I don't think his moan should be taken at face value.

In interviews, Cosmo is always talking about the sudden resurgence of the warehouse scenes in the outer boroughs run by art collectives and passionate kids that only play vinyl etc.

I for one had a life defining time of it when I was out there last. Like the UK DiY rave scene, the garage era is dead and buried with any hopes to rekindle it fizzling out like a wet fart. It's time to clear the decks to make way for new blood and from a professional point of view (despite his continued relevance) Knuckles runs the risk of becoming a dinosaur if he speaks his truth in such a brash way so publically.

true, but still NYC would've been a lotta fun in the 90s

http://www.backinthehouse.com/#/Backinthehouse-Teaser

Back