First Timers Goin 2 Ibiza

E

Eklipser

Hi people,
I m plannin on goin to ibiza this summer with 2 of my really close friends and we are lookin forward to meeting new people and partyin till our legs drop. Anyways i was wonderin if we can get some good advice on where to stay, mainely which side, Ibiza or Sanantonio. We looked into some appartments and prices and clubs and what not, we just need to decide on the minor yet big details. So if u guys can gimme some info on the diffrence on both sides ie the clubs and the people and the gorgeous ladies and what not, that would be appreciated. And also how much is food and drinks there. Like pre drinkin outside the clubs becuz it seems that drinks are expensive there. Anyways any help would be much needed.

thank you

Sami

San Antonio is the cheaper of the two, both in drinks prices and accomodation. One thing to bear in mind though with San An is it's very British dominated, and brings to gether the very best an worst of 'Brits abroad'. The West End for example has a high concentration of bars in a small area with no entrance charges and cheap drinks, but it is full of rowdy drunken Brits and is not usually the choice of the discerning clubber. San An does have some more classy upmarket bars though, such as Bar M, Itaca on the bay and Cafe Mambo, Cafe Del Mar and Coastline Cafe on the famous 'sunset strip' ehich is about 5 minutes walk from the west end. San Antonio would be the best choice if you are on a tighter budget but please bear in mind the British domination and the amount of drunkards that inhabit the place.

Ibiza Town is much more cosmopolitan and attracts a much more diverse range of people and nationalities. The bars and people there are generally higher class than those in San Antonio, and you are also more likely to find fellow Canadians there too. The main drawback with Ibiza town is that it is more expensive than San An, both in accomodation and drinks prices.

It really is up to you, if you don't mind paying more for a 'better' class of people and bars with a more cosmopolitan less British atmosphere then Ibiza town is for you, but if you are on a tighter budget and like to have a drink or 10 then San An is the place for you. Weigh up the pros and cons and make your choice!

Must be the 1st time anyone has ever called me polite but true!!! Oh well the old Muel will soon be back mwuhahahahaha! :twisted:

hey thanx a lot guys. Ur input helps a lot. Just a few more question, compare to clubs, how much is alcohole when purchased outside clubs. I mean can u predrink anywhere for a fraction of the cost?? And how much is food, like fast food joints and just lil market shops type deals. Anyways, keep the info comin guys, i wanna be as prepared as i can. hehehehehehehe

thanx

Sami

if you buy drinks on the pre club bars, then they are just as expensive, but if you buy them from a supermarket they are very cheap, providing you drink in your room as its illegal to walk around the streets drinking alcohol....

there are fast food restaurants in both san an and ibiza town, the restaurants in the 'touristy' places tend not to be the best restaurants.....
and yet again the food in the supermarket (SYP) is very inexpensive and has a very large selection..

The drinks in the supermarkets are rediculously cheap, big bottle of Sam Miguel for €1.50, cheap spirits, even found a big bottle of absinthe for €4 on one supermarket last year!

And of course water is rediculously cheap, about €0.50 for a liter was what I typically found last year, sometimes cheaper especially if you don't buy it chilled. It's normally worth buying it chilled though because the unchilled water is so warm it takes hours to cool down in the fridge in your apartment!

Also like someone said Eden and Es Paradis stamp your arms when you go in so you can leave and re-enter whenever you want. This is a good idea because rather than spending €4-6 on a small bottle of water in the club, you can go out for 10 mins cool down and have a breather and pick up a bottle of water from a nearby supermarket for a fraction of the cost!! (bear in mind though the bouncers won't let you bring any drinks you buy back into the club with you when you re-enter!!)

Brits abroad certainly do have a reputation for drunkardness, rowdiness and bad manners etc. You should try living here in the UK with them!

But just to balance things up a little we are a family from the UK coming to Ibiza for the first time in August 2003 staying in Playa d'en Bossa. We are looking forward to our holiday as are our two sons aged 17 and 13. We will tour, eat, drink and have fun but we certainly won't be adding to the sad image of "drunken" Brits abroad.

We just wanted to make our point as not all Brits are drunkards.... although, regretably, we understand how the image is generated.

Phil & Janet Graham (UK)

Hey to all of those that have been to Ibiza...
Is it really true that it's illegal to sleep on the beaches in Ibiza? And if it is true, does any one know what they do to people who dare break this law?

hey sami,

just to give you a canadian perspective on things, as for drinking and accomodations. Liquor is extremely cheap in Ibiza if you buy it at the supermarket. One litre (about the size of a 40oz) of smironff vodka or bacardi rum cost about $15 cdn. Accomodations can be pretty cheap if you stay in san an. Thats what me and two of my friends did. I actually enjoyed it. We usually had dinner (not too expensive either, about $10-15 cdn a meal) and drinks in the west end and then took a taxi out to the clubs in ibiza town or playa.

jas

BBQ

are there any beaches in ibiza that allow you to do your own BBQ on the beach or is this a no no

I'm sure BBQs are not allowed at all. Just in the night of St.John (the night of witchcraft and magic in Spain) people are allowed to gather around bonfires on the beach to sing and jump over the flames and take the seven waves of fertility (or something so) at the border of the beach at 12am.

That day is about the 23rd or 24th of June, when the big clubs are already open.

It's a deeply rooted tradition in Mediterranean cities like Barcelona and mainly in Valencia. There are outdoor night parties.... I'm sure Ibiza has it all that night too.

yes we have san juan here too - we even have a village of that name.

as for bbqs - yes you can have them on the beach. in winter hundreds and hundreds of people spend all sunday afternoon on or by the beach at 'torradas' as they are known here.

tip - for a really good barbie go to san lorenzo by the church where there is a small park especially for bbq's - they provide the fire you bring the food - it's really good.

mcrackin do you have a photo?

stephen said:
yes we have san juan here too - we even have a village of that name.

as for bbqs - yes you can have them on the beach. in winter hundreds and hundreds of people spend all sunday afternoon on or by the beach at 'torradas' as they are known here.

tip - for a really good barbie go to san lorenzo by the church where there is a small park especially for bbq's - they provide the fire you bring the food - it's really good.

mcrackin do you have a photo?

Well...but surely it's on beaches with no danger to set fire on woods. Even more, it must be extremely forbidden to do it on beaches with pinewoods at their side. I guess. :rolleyes: Fires in woods are a plague in Spain some years.

in the woods at cala bassa all round to cala conta is one of THE most popular places. but correct, forest fires are a problem here.

comin' at ya said:
Fires here are a problem too. A tip - dont hold a lighter near a can of butane gas - it will take your eyebrows off.

Did you or anyone you know suffer that terrible experience???

You are australian if my memory serves me right, don't you? The news told about a huge fire this winter (summer there) all around Sydney's outskirts. I remember nearly every year they talk about huge fires there. :cry: I'm sure laws there are also strict so that fires don't happen.

I believe the politicians here enacted a law to imprison people who provoke big fires in woods, even if there wasn't intentionality and it was just negligence, so watch out for BBQs please. :spank:

Back