First club in Ibiza

vedraes

Hi,
I read somewhere that the first club in Ibiza (sort of -it was rather a meting point) was located in a windmill (I found this information in at least 2 books).
It was in 60s if I remember correctly.
Does anyone know anything about this? Where was it?
Cheers

Taken from another thread:

the discoteca was called mar blau like the hostal (different owner though) but it was located in front, where they built in recent years that complex of ocher/brown apartments. the club, the only one back then, was open air.....

when it first opened, in 1951 (!), the sala de fiestas mar blau was located in what now is the terrace of the hostal (overlooking p.d.b./etc). as there was 3 rooms just next the authorities thought it was a kind-of-brothel like other similar salas de fiestas in spain (first boogie-boogie with some belgian chicas, then shagga-shagga :lol:) so they had to move a bit further down (where now you find the new complex of apartments).....

on a curious note, juan (the owner of the hostal) started working at the sala de fiestas the 3rd day after its opening cleaning glasses. as he was still a wee boy he had to stand on a box for a few years so he could reach the sink ! !

the first sala de fiestas was the bar/restaurant mar blau in puig des molins in ibiza town, a venue that opened the 29th of june of 1951.

:arrow: COMPLETE ARTICLE

I bet none of those books mentioned all these details... ;)... ha!

Btw, I found out all those details asking directly to Juan (owner of Mar Blau) to reply to Iain Stewart (author of The Rough Guide to Ibiza & Formentera and, back ten, forum member).

There are so may many fascinating stories and not written anywhere.
Someone should write a proper book about the recent history of the island.
I have read all the available books (apart from The Road To San Vicente) but there is much more to tell.

I've got more then 50 Ibiza books,some new
som older. Oldest written in 1926 I think(Only parts) But not the one I really want....20200517_101854.jpg

50? I though I have read all of them and it was maybe 15.
I did not know there were so many.
Started ordering old Pacha magazines due to lack of reading materials but maybe I did not look hard enough.

I can take some photo's with my phone.
But some are in Spanish or Ibicenco, som in English others in some Scandinavian language or....?

Back