Fire at Benirras

can i suggest that you start watching csi warren
I do watch CSI shows but I have no interest in them. Theres not much on the telly at that time of night around because the tower cranes further up the hill interfere with the satellite reception for most stations at night.

Thought I'd lost these photos taken at Benirras on the day of the fire in 2010 with a camera I since lost. They turned up in a folder on my spare laptop ... must have uploaded them.

Brings back strong memories. The place is still bearing the scars.

66454_323045524428773_100001699833778_868361_1746195328_n.jpg

575354_323046221095370_100001699833778_868364_280308125_n.jpg

522183_323046491095343_100001699833778_868366_232253928_n.jpg

I don't have any later ones - stopped taking photos by then and had all my stuff in the hire Jeep parked on the beach, but there are some above on this thread which give a pretty good idea of what it was like by the time I drove out of there - especially the burned out cars which you could hear exploding from the beach. I thank God that day I persisted with parking at the bottom of the hill despite being told it was full - may well have lost the car.

It was only on account of befriending some Spanish-speaking drummers in the Restaurant 2000, who persuaded the police to let me leave when the wind changed and they started letting a few people out, that I managed to avoid abandoning the car to a very uncertain fate and leaving with the evacuation. Being my 2nd hire car in 2 days :)oops:) and a canvas-roofed Jeep to boot, I was going nowhere without it that day !

Have seen some happy times and a very sad one too at Benirras... but it will always be a very special place for me.

So sad when we went to Las Dalias last year we drove up through the North and down past Cala St Vincente and saw all the damage I was shocked to see the extent of the damage, if I was there at the time of the fire I would have been terrified :(

besides the fire - benirras in main-season = nightmare

It's nice in the bit where the naturist family lives, near where I was when I took those pictures - they keep most of the crowds away at binocular distance.. the Italians in general don't like it at all :lol:. Relatively quiet, away from the melay and great snorkelling nearby too 8)

What happened to the first car ?

I flew in at 9am on the Saturday morning, so couldn't check in and drove straight from the airport to the Bay to go wakeboarding. Only I'd been up all night before flying and was not 100% focused - had left the car key in the pocket of my shorts instead of giving it to Belssa in the boat. Of course it wasn't there when I got out of the water, was it ?????? :evil: :evil: :evil: :eek: ..

The hire company (remaining nameless :!:) had no spare on the island and would not send a locksmith so the car had to be left on the roadside... and ended up with a smashed in rear windscreen :oops:. They also had no replacement cars as it was August - so I had to hitch a lift to go diving with a suitcase and all my stuff, and get a cab to the hotel afterwards. Ended up hiring the 4x4 from a local company in San Antoni next day ... which was just as well because it ended up parked on Benirras Beach away from the fire. Couldn't have done that in a normal car, so maybe it was all meant for a reason. Strange things happen sometimes :!:

MUSIC vs FIRE-party this friday (10th of may) @ pacha !

"...
Second edition
The party in favor of forests 'Music vs Fire' returns to Pacha
The money raised at the meeting on Friday will help reforest areas affected by fires

Pacha nightclub Vila will host this Friday, May 10, in the second edition of the festival of solidarity and "ecofriendly" as organizers call it, 'Music vs Fire', which, as it happened last year, will raise funds to continue the reforestation of forests ravaged by fires in 2010 and 2011.

The meeting is organized by Pacha and Ibiza Green Squirrel, seeking to unite the party fun with ecological awareness, through the music of DJ David Moreno, Tania Moon, Toni Moreno, Angel Linde, Javier Gonzalez, Mariano Large and Sergio Mussa.

The challenge of the second edition is greater than the first. For this occasion the goal is to raise enough funds to plant 5,000 junipers in Benirràs, thus culminating reforestation work in that area. The funds raised will be given to the nonprofit organization Plant for the Planet, which aims to recover burned areas of the Mediterranean and the project part Ibiza Green.

Voluntary Contributions
Besides raising evening will install a box at the entrance to the club for people who wish to make voluntary contributions. Podrar also contribute by sending an SMS with the word Ibiza to 25600 or through the web www.ardilla.eu.

The forests that is intended for this action are located in the municipalities of Sant Joan and Santa Eulalia and suffered fires in 2010 and 2011, which destroyed 2,000 hectares of forest, the largest environmental disaster in the island. Over 50% of the burned area is declared a Site of Community and included in the Natura 2000 network.

..."
http://www.diariodeibiza.es/pitiuse...osques-music-vs-fire-vuelve-pacha/618918.html

Back