Faro vs Nice

8) - like a trip to the beach at Praia da Luz and there are some boat trips too nearby if you like that sort of thing.

http://www.praiadaluzuncovered.com/

These guys are great .. mainly kitesurfing/surfing but helped me out with other stuff too even tho' not staying with them :

http://www.extremealgarve.com/other_activities.htm

djjaycool is right - Lisbon is an awesome place to go see. In fairness, it can easily work out to be a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive from Algarve in practice tho', door to door .. think there are trains which might be easier/quicker (and you don't have to park at the other end either). Lisbon taxis are really cheap once you're there by European city standards.

Lots of ideas - lots to do !

25 floating days a year + 13 banks hols - is that excessive?

Don't plan on doing much in Faro - just chill out and enjoy some nightlife (tho I doubt it's too mad), maybe a daytrip or two to places nearby. We're there Friday to first thing Wednesday. Quality of fish is meant to be amazing? Any other foodie stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha how can I be sad when I have Ibiza, Amsterdam and Thailand and Serbia to lok forward to in the next few months .... oh and Croatia weeeeeeeeeeee I LOVE HOLIDAYS :) :) :)

25 floating days a year + 13 banks hols - is that excessive?

Don't plan on doing much in Faro - just chill out and enjoy some nightlife (tho I doubt it's too mad), maybe a daytrip or two to places nearby. We're there Friday to first thing Wednesday. Quality of fish is meant to be amazing? Any other foodie stuff?

If you are into wine and drink Casal Garcia is a green wine that is good. The local food is great also seafood and a fried fish dish called bacala (SP), flan, pepper steak, and local ice cream.

I pay off my credit card every month - but I do have a mortgage and car. My mate always talks me into a 3rd holiday a year. I'd probably be more comfortable with 2. The way wage rises can't keep up with inflation it might get to that.

I budget for hols too - but that affects what I can do on a month to month basis - going out, etc.

Elephante Branco ... Brazilian wonderland ... ones on the street are guys tho' - beware !!

Might be using Faro to get to Lisbon now.

start off in Chiado bar district then go to barrio Alto for dinner, If you are up for it The dock area has afters and you can see the sun rise. Clubs Lux (doorman can be picky), fragil and incognito. I enjoyed all 3 friends didn't get let into Lux for some reason.

lisbon is so good and cheap.My spanish friend told me its like barcelona was 15yrs ago. beers less than 2euro in most bars and as cheap as 1.20euro during the day. 4 of us had lunch one afternoon just 4 main courses of 1 rabbit stew 1 veal and 2 had sea bass all came with simple salad and some other bits and 16 small draught beers only 57 euro for the lot..8)

Portugal is not great for fancy food or service on the whole - best for simple honest stuff, however have been here a couple of times and got decent food, amazing location and views and good service. Was well worth it (on a clear day) especially after a couple of bottles of red had flowed down the hatch :

http://www.pousadas.pt/historic-hotels-portugal/pt/restaurants/pages/casa-do-leao.aspx

The place itself is stunning.

Portugal things go at a more relaxed pace. I enjoy a relaxing meal and found the food great. If you need something more upscale in Lisbon it is there.

Back