Faro vs Nice

Which would you choose for a long weekend September break? Is Nice massively expensive?

Nice needn't be massively expensive but I usually head away from the City as soon as I hit the airport .. so many really lovely places to go round there, provided the weather holds and it doesn't rain.. food can be steep but if you're used to Ibiza prices ...

Weather's usually more reliable and hotter in Faro in September :) but nothing's guaranteed. It's still alive down there that time of the year (by October begins to die a death unless you're a golfer) and there's so much to do in the Algarve if you like outdoor/active stuff.

We're looking for a bit of sight-seeing and bit of night-life.

Nice / Cote d'Azur

Must admit, in Nice itself the only nightlife I've ever participated in is getting p1ssed on someone else's tab at a horribly overpriced hotel and in the area generally it's consisted of revoltingly over-indulgent nosh-ups followed by long chin-wags over a Cognac 'till the wee small hours ....

On the sightseeing front there's loads within striking distance. The Villa Ephrussi garden in Cap Ferrat is one of my favourite places in the whole of France. You could probably get a room for about 100Euro/night in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat nearby if you wanted to go somewhere other than Nice. It's a lovely little town but very ‘boutique' and yachty. Nightlife unlikely to be any more boisterous than Santa Eualia !

http://www.villa-ephrussi.com/en/ephrussi/

St Paul de Vence and Grasse in the hills behind Nice are also firm favourites for a day out (or even better to stay).. and Eze-village is especially lovely, particularly after hours when there are fewer tourists. Cap d'Antibes and Beaulieu-sur-Mer probably my favourite places to stay round there but not geared up for a trip on a budget.

Driving can leave you feeling desperate on the Cote d'Azur (!), in fairness more in August, but taxis can be very pricey & buses far too time-consuming for a short trip.

Faro / Algarve

I tend to go to Lagos area, further west along the coast, owing to the watersports and skydiving etc. in close proximity. Plenty of bars etc. some with dancing in Lagos – but things do tend to wind down around 2am. Don't really know the area nearer Faro so well except for Quinta do Lago, and to be fair that's really best if you're in to golf and shopping in a big way (imho) !

Things are still ‘alive' in the Algarve in September (it dies a death in October) and if you want to hire a car the driving is very easy round there.

Weather usually hotter and less prone to rain than Cote d'Azur in September. Completely different ‘feel' and far less sophisticated here than in France (the endless miles of tat and tack along the French coast aside !).

Hope this helps a bit for a start !

Actually, maybe Warsaw or Riga...

Any opinions?

I'm in a going to places that I can get to with least bother mood.

I actually like Riga !! Well worth going for a look-see.

On the others, maybe Morbyd or someone else can shed more light ?

Haven't been to Poland, unfortunately.

Riga is great. Really nice old town (I stayed in the Forums hotel which is right in the middle of it).

Nice people too. I was out partying by myself in some little underground club and met people who invited me to a closed birthday party in another underground club the next night. Good times.

Not sure how the atmosphere is post-recession (they were hit reeeeally hard) but I'd still go back.

Vilnius is also nice.

Riga seems to get A LOT of negative reviews, mainly because of scams. I take it it's no worse than Prague/Budapest in that it's just a case of avoiding the wrong bars/clubs?

Riga seems to get A LOT of negative reviews, mainly because of scams. I take it it's no worse than Prague/Budapest in that it's just a case of avoiding the wrong bars/clubs?

Guess so - I never had any problems in any of the 3 mentioned cities.. maybe I just didn't look the type worth f**king about with :lol: (tap-dances through the minefields whistling happily)

It's Faro after all. :lol:

If you want to take another look at Poland? Krakow would be my choice plenty of entertainment in the city center.

Faro is more of a golf outing that time of year. If you hire a car you can drive to other towns for sightseeing and nightlife(about an hour away). Lisbon is about 1-2 hours away one of my favorite cities in Europe.

Faro is more of a golf outing that time of year. If you hire a car you can drive to other towns for sightseeing and nightlife(about an hour away). Lisbon is about 1-2 hours away one of my favorite cities in Europe.

Lisbon a bit of a trek for sightseeing ?!! Used to go there regularly and love the place but would fly to Faro :oops:.. there's oodles to do still beyond golf in September round there, to be fair, but best with a car ? Managed a day-trip to Faro and over to Lagos last year in October !! Hired a car and headed to Lagos, wakeboarded, had lunch, skydived and flew home - think one could manage a thing or two in a long weekend !!

Lisbon a bit of a trek for sightseeing ?!! Used to go there regularly and love the place but would fly to Faro :oops:.. there's oodles to do still beyond golf in September round there, to be fair, but best with a car ? Managed a day-trip to Faro and over to Lagos last year in October !! Hired a car and headed to Lagos, wakeboarded, had lunch, skydived and flew home - think one could manage a thing or two in a long weekend !!

I was just giving options, If you never been to Lisbon and it is a short drive away why not take a look around. I would drive there from Spain.

Back