FAO: Morbyd

Kasparov's an interesting case.

The Western press often make him out to be some major repressed opposition leader. The Russian government has helped perpetuate that image by shutting down protests which he has organized together with a couple of other organizations (one of them, the National Bolshevik Movement, is very controversial no matter what your politics).

However, while he was once revered as a chess god, Kasparov has almost no following among the Russian public as a politician. I'm not quite sure how an opposition leader can be legitimate if he has no significant support, but the Western press continue to try to legitimize him.

Anyway, will try to give that a listen later on.

Kasparov's an interesting case.

The Western press often make him out to be some major repressed opposition leader. The Russian government has helped perpetuate that image by shutting down protests which he has organized together with a couple of other organizations (one of them, the National Bolshevik Movement, is very controversial no matter what your politics).

However, while he was once revered as a chess god, Kasparov has almost no following among the Russian public as a politician. I'm not quite sure how an opposition leader can be legitimate if he has no significant support, but the Western press continue to try to legitimize him.

Anyway, will try to give that a listen later on.

Interesting stuff, I always had a soft spot for Kasparov - as a massive chess fan and political junkie - he represented the new liberal order whilst Karpov embodied the old Soviet grey - some of those chess matches were astonishing

and you are quite right in that he does generally get a better press here than at home

...but if he has so little support, why should the Russian govt feel the need to shut him down - makes no sense creating a martyr out of nothing :confused:

and what's the latest on the Anna Politskaya case? would you say that's a real trial or a sham?

It's a funny thing with the Russians (and I saw similar cases in Kazakhstan so maybe it's a Soviet thing). They will waste time, and risk further damaging their image abroad, by shutting down people like Kasparov instead of letting him march with entourage, even if the guy has little/no broad appeal and little likelihood to develop a mass following.

On the other hand, I think Kasparov made a tactical error by hooking up with the NatsBols. That almost ensured he'd get shut down no matter what.

My gut feeling is that the Politkovskaya trial is a sham.

Back