Fake euros from Kanya!

Liquidjoe

Just a small warning as I got ripped off when changing a €500 note at Kanya in San Antonio. The Italian guy behind the bar called his mate who said that he had to go down to the safe to get change. After waiting a couple of minutes I got nine €50:s + plus some small change.

After a few days I had about three of these left and wanted to pay in the bar at The Zoo. I turned out that two of the €50 notes were false.

I never got round to complain at Kanya as I was busy having a good time elsewhere on the island, but the rip-off was obvious.

Just a small warning as I got ripped off when changing a €500 note at Kanya in San Antonio. The Italian guy behind the bar called his mate who said that he had to go down to the safe to get change. After waiting a couple of minutes I got nine €50:s + plus some small change.

After a few days I had about three of these left and wanted to pay in the bar at The Zoo. I turned out that two of the €50 notes were false.

I never got round to complain at Kanya as I was busy having a good time elsewhere on the island, but the rip-off was obvious.

How was the rip-off obvious?

If I had to change a 500 euro note (something that I would always refuse to do as so many of those are fake) I would have to go to the safe as we never keep that much change in the till. There are lots of fake fifties circulating in Europe and mistakes are made. I have even received fake notes in bank cash machines.

If you thought that you had been deliberately passed fake notes then you should have called the police. Waiting until you get back to the safety of your home and then slagging off somebody's business on the internet without any foundation and when they have no way of defending themselves is unfair on the business concerned.

Liquidjoe

so looks like you have money to burn then.too busy to nip in and try and sort it out.not sure what happens when you get fakes.but i think both partys lose out.unless you tried to pass them off again.plus i don;t think anyone in the uk really knows how to check a duff note like we can with a £20 or £50 here.think if i had 500 note i would of gone to a bank to change.

so your 100 euro;s out of pocket then or did you pass them on

I would never pass them on to someone else. In fact I took them home just to show my wife what an idiot I was being tricked in that way.

For me, if I get ripped-off doesn´t mean I try to rip someone else off. It´s all ´bout karma and why should I do something bad in return when I know how it feels to be fooled. I was a fool falling for the trick and I´ve learned my lesson from it. It´s just money after all.

It´s not that I have a lot of money to burn, but for me there is more important things in life than money. Also when I go on holiday I dont want to spend hours dealing with the police etc. I took the loss and then I continued to enjoy the island instead of ruining my holiday with what I felt would be a waste of time.

How was the rip-off obvious? Well the paper quality of the bills were so bad that no-one who would really check the money would think that they were real. The fake euros were next to each other as number six and seven out of nine. My mistake was that I just took the nine notes and put them straight down in my moneybelt without checking them at all.

Slagging someones business off? I just tell a story of what happened to me in Ibiza and if someone feels wrongly accused they are more than welcome to contact me - give me a private message here o the forum for instance - and we can sort things out. As I said I still have the bills at home.

My main reason for posting this thread was to warn other people that they should have an extra look when given change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slagging someones business off? I just tell a story of what happened to me in Ibiza and if someone feels wrongly accused they are more than welcome to contact me - give me a private message here o the forum for instance - and we can sort things out. As I said I still have the bills at home.

I'm sorry, I didn't realise that you had contacted Kanya and warned them that you would be accusing them of ripping you off in an internet forum so that they could then reply and defend themselves.

Casper, I understand your point of view here as a business owner, having run a business in the past.

And I think it's a valid point you're trying to make that the Kanya employee could have unknowingly passed on the fake notes just as easily as Liquidjoe received them.

However, based on that assumption of innocence, there is still some blame to apportion to Kanya in this situation. If these notes are as easily identified by touch as LiquidJoe asserts, then the Kanya employee who counted them out (at least once, possibly twice) to him should have noticed something was wrong.

One of two things happened here - Either Kanya did not have proper currency authentication controls in place (admittedly hard in an environment like Ibiza but still vital in a cash business anywhere) or the cashier knowingly passed along bad bills.

And LiquidJoe also bears responsibility for not checking his bills, but he's admitted that.

Back