Fabric London

What does everyone make of it?

It was my first time last night and I personally thought it was the best English club by a country mile, and I've been to a fair few now. Like a UK-version of Space, just smaller.

Amazing layout and all four rooms have top sound systems, the staff are actually friendly (shock horror!), drink prices (for London) are very respectable, the crowd was generally good, its location is amazing for doing other things in London in the day, and it's really simple to catch a taxi at the end of the night. Oh, and the music was banging! Robert Dietz & Reboot and Craig Richards in the main room and Stacey Pullen in room two.

Heard lots about it before but had never actually been myself. Very impressed though and will be back for sure! :)

Have a love-hate relationship with Faberge... definitely my favourite permanent conventional club - go quite a bit, have FabricFirst etc etc blah blah .. but I still feel London is about the small clandestine dark spaces which host the city's "real" party scene. Fabric could never come close to competing with some of those nights, although they are as much about the people, crowd and vibe as the (often shifting) venues.

I find the crowd in Fabric often just too "international" (and not in a good way if you know what I mean - sometimes it can be a very good thing other times .. really .. NOT !). But as clubs go it's ridiculously long-running for London and I always feel 'at home' there. The sound quality depends where you stand in the room (especially Room 1 - you can never make out vocals in there either, the other slight gripe). But on a good night the atmos can be really cracking. So not bad at all, all in all.

as a londoner i'll hold my hands up n admit its my favourite club altho corsica studios is a very narrow second. fabrics saturday lineups are consistantly the best europe for house n techno. room 2 is englands mini berghain. when they do their birthday party n stay open for 2 days non stop it can get pretty errr . interesting!

The whole experience off the place was very enjoyable.

Been to many clubs now in the UK and Europe and can say this is my favourite in the UK anyway, has a proper good feel to it, nice crowd and staff and each room was spot on!

when they do their birthday party n stay open for 2 days non stop it can get pretty errr . interesting!

Seriously messy shizzle ! Dunno about mini-Berghain but when Room 2 really goes off it's blooming great probs my favourite room. You can still smell that unmistakeable Raspberry smoke stuff off your clothes and hair when you get home !

I like Room 3 a lot too - but if I remember right, Minimarc keeps getting hit on by amorous pretty boys up there ... and is less keen :lol: :lol: :lol: :spank: :spank: :spank:

The Villalobos On & On partA's are all time!

I personally have never had a bad experience there, with that system & week in week out line up's like they have - It's hard for it to fail.

I def concur with the room 2 comments - special.

No doubt Pullen absolutely killed it on Saturday, sooo bummed I couldn't make it!

Only been once, ages ago and really enjoyed it. One of my first 'proper' clubbing experiences. I remember having a 'moment' near the end of the night and retreating to a toilet cubicle for some peace, not to mention being at the stage where taking a wee is practically impossible. While i was in there, I could have sworn they were playing The Cheeky Girls outside. :eek: London's not too convenient for me these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've only been in fabric once, and have to say was a bit underwhelemed by the whole place, heard a lot about the club...but really i would just say the club is alright, i would go again , at a push, but would look to other places in london first next time im there.

sound system is of course brilliant, but the place has too many wee twists & turns, its just a strange layout...and not in a good way for me....& i actually thought the main room would've been a lot bigger as well.

the club gets good lineups no doubt, but what percentage of the crowd is there for the music, and not due to it being open til late and being pretty central?

certainly not one of the best clubs in the world, but you'll have a good night in there.

I lasted 20 minutes, too crowded (villalobos was playing), too many fuds, but i'd like to go back to see if it was just a one off. Ended up going to the key instead and having a great night in there.

Fabric is excellent, but it isn't its true self until after 4:30
hmm...so what does that mean?
that only the hardcore/music loving crowd hang on for the last few hours?

so is fabric really only good as an after hours place then (if you take 3/4am as typical closings fro most clubs):?:

hmm...so what does that mean?
that only the hardcore/music loving crowd hang on for the last few hours?

so is fabric really only good as an after hours place then (if you take 3/4am as typical closings fro most clubs):?:

No - in London 6am is far more common for Saturday night. 4am closures are widespread on Friday night events.

Quite a few hardcore types arrive after 4am (entry is reduced) and many people head to Cable afterhours which goes 5am-2pm to try to avoid queueing for 2 hours to get in. So you're left with those who are happy to party till 8am and haven't burned themselves out by 4am (i.e. no shrinking violets / wimps), but without the mass crowding which you can get until 4am. It's a really nice time in there usually !

No - in London 6am is far more common for Saturday night. 4am closures are widespread on Friday night events.

Quite a few hardcore types arrive after 4am (entry is reduced) and many people head to Cable afterhours which goes 5am-2pm to try to avoid queueing for 2 hours to get in. So you're left with those who are happy to party till 8am and haven't burned themselves out by 4am (i.e. no shrinking violets / wimps), but without the mass crowding which you can get until 4am. It's a really nice time in there usually !

we went in after 4am, so was only £7, so that from point of view it was good value..im not questioning the prices....the 4 of us just weren't that impressed really.its funny you mention Cable, for me its a much better club inside than fabric...but the q was a joke (when we went)...got the feeling deliberaly going out the way to be fussy over who did/didnt get in...(berghain apeing?)perhaps due to license, but heavy id checks, credit cards being scanned to get in? seemed way over the top...or is that another common thing for london?

i think thats just something they do at the clubs round there becaue there was some problems with weapons etc some time ago , cant remember the exact details but they introduced metal detectors at the time

heavy id checks, credit cards being scanned to get in? seemed way over the top...or is that another common thing for london?

If you're referring to those scanning machines which take an image of your driving license/passport, I was initially sceptical too about their use.

However, I have since learned that they are not allowed to use any data gathered ie. you won't receive promo crap through the post. I have to say, I believe this is be true as I have never received anything through my letter box and there is one venue i visit quite regularly where it is a condition of entry.

Apparently if you have one on your door then it will help your license application along, especially if you've previously had a reputation for having the "wrong crowd".

What the most sophiscated of these machines can do is collate information of where their patrons are all from at any one time. From hometown, down to street of residence. Useful information to know, especially if you are aware of inter-town rivalries eg. East London vs West London. They can also allow the door supervisors to be selective on their door policy.

Still a lot of critics out there. Understandable really, it is a bit Big Brother-ish. There will always be that data protection act legislation that has many grey areas and is open to interpretation.

And I how much evidence there is to suggest they work??

Still, if it allows you to trade later & sell what you like as well as building bridges between your venue and the local police/licensing authorities, you can see why owners are utilising them.

Years since I've been to Fabric but have a lot of respect for the place and had some great nights there. So much variation and generally always a good crowd.

Been to Fabric on numerous occasions when I was a Londoner, Imagine when I'm back in Brighton I'll be turning up more often again (money permitting). Some great nights had, from Tech House nights to a Drum N Bass night. Some awful (student) nights had too :lol:

Back