Extending a lease on a flat

theoretically looking to buy a cheap 1bed next year in some arse end of town, because I'm sick of sharing rented flats (15+ years now) but does it just bring on a whole load of new pressures? Renting = no hassle with stuff the landlord can sort out, limited responsibility + flexibility about moving out and I enjoy that freedom - just not sure I'm ready to be at the mercy of what seems to be an unstable market...

We are in the same boat. Also the other factor that we have never lived together first. Everyone is telling me that we should rent first.........but we just dont know what to do for the best. Can no way get together such a big deposit either :cry:

Bung the agent Becks. He personally will be getting 1.5% max of the difference between you and the other buyer. For every grand extra he sells for he gains £15. You give him £200 and that's the equivalent of him selling for another £13k. He puts off the other buyers you get you flat and he gets to move onto the next sale.

;)

Now THAT tip was worth the entry fee alone (saves to memory for operation bigmove in a year or so's time).

Rodber had it spot with 'keep your business head'. If the other offer is not real, when you walk away it will soon vanish, if it is & it feels like you are over paying, walk away no matter how much it hurts.

Be cold, no emotions! A quote from a google search says it quite well:

Don't get emotionally involved
One big mistake many amateur negotiators make is to become too emotionally attached to winning. They shout, threaten and demand to get their way. This is all counter-productive.

Most deals are only possible if both people feel they're getting something out of it. If the person across the table feels attacked, or doesn't like you, they probably won't back down. Many people hate bullies, and will be more willing to walk away from a transaction if it involves one.

Keep calm, patient and friendly, even if the other person starts losing their cool. Make sure you leave any pride or ego at the door. You're much more likely to do well that way.

theoretically looking to buy a cheap 1bed next year in some arse end of town, because I'm sick of sharing rented flats (15+ years now) but does it just bring on a whole load of new pressures? Renting = no hassle with stuff the landlord can sort out, limited responsibility + flexibility about moving out and I enjoy that freedom - just not sure I'm ready to be at the mercy of what seems to be an unstable market...

Obviously if the market has bottomed is one question - personally I think that the g'ment tap will run dry before confidence returns to the commcercial market & we may well get a 'w' recession, with another house price dip to come. But your playing the long game & over 30 years now should be near the bottom of a cycle.

Rent V Buying depends what you want from life I guess, kids - something to leave them, want to put roots down etc etc. Given you have been renting for 15 years & assuming you started at 18, thats 33. A 30 yr (say) mortgage takes you to the door of retirement. So on the face of it get stuck in.

And to all Londoners who can't afford anything I say move to Manchester, we even have the beeb now!

Back