Erick Morillo - Subliminal Sessions 2nd July Review

B

Belfast&funky

Just back from Ibiza after another excellent 2 weeks. The last 2 years I was there I went to the gorgeous Pacha which I rate as the best club on the island alongside Space. As in previous years I went to see Erick Morillo of whom I've numerous subliminal sessions releases and I fully expected it to be the best nite of my hols. However aliens must have abducted Erick Morillo and his funky house record bag and replaced him and I kid you not, with a dj who was playin something akin toindustrial/ techno music. Perhaps this was a one off bad performance from the great man as he was literally staggering around the dj booth looking very drunk. There were a few glimpses around 6.30am of the old Morillo but I was very disappointed. No rich females vocals, piano or anything that resembled deep funky house. Aliens - please bring back the old Morillo!!!
Also at We Love Sundays opening at Space - Excellent, but Steve Lawlor is no Sasha (saw Sasha @ Space last Sept and he was superb. Manumission was also very good and it was good to see a higher profile on the nite from Mike & Clare Manumission!

Agreed

I would second your comments on Morillo... didn't seem to have many new records either - was caning a lot of the stuff that was big last year.

I also had a brilliant time at Manumission - the last few hours featuring Smokin Jo' in the side room were fantastic. Manumission also has the best carryon (@ Space). Seriously, what's better than the Manumission dancers passing out fruit, costumes (indian headresses, masks, etc.) and organizing limbos! Wow.

I have not heard Morillo spin in a while, but the description of his track selection does not surprise me at all because the direction of the Subliminal record label has been leaning towards dark, techy tracks for a while now. However I still have hope that maybe one day the funk will return.

a dj who was playin something akin toindustrial/ techno music.
yes..e morillo played that kind of music when he came in paris a few month ago & it's thot the kind of music i enjoy the must... :confused:
it's the subliminal sound (subliminal vol 4 & subliminal @ sound planet)
chase said:
the direction of the Subliminal record label has been leaning towards dark, techy tracks for a while now
u r right & sure i won't pay 35-40e to see him @ pacha even it's free...:lol:

seen morrillo 2 weeks ago in belfast an he rocked it proper style proper up-front house with plenty of classics

Sean - REAL classics or songs from the last two years? I bet he played the rip groove/shined on me rip?

I did have a good night that night but its wasnt as good as everyone was saying......Out of the 3 nights ..Release yourself.Underwater and Subliminal I chose that and although I had a good night....It died off at about 630-7ish when people started heading out :cry:

I wanna catch this fella when hes on form but at £25 a ticket and £7 a beer I expect him to be on form :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Morillo = cheese, simple as that! Same as Pete Tong. Don't get me wrong Erick is good technically, but he plays some shite!

If you want to hear some proper house music, and proper up front stuff and classics, go to Sanchez on a Mon, MOS on Thur or Def Mix on Sat.

Every time i've been to def mix (a far few) in the last two years its been awful.

"Morillo = cheese, simple as that! Same as Pete Tong. "
No. Morillo is good. But as belfast&funky mentioned he wasn't himself that night. I went to Underwater on tuesday 24 and Subliminal the day after. Underwater was much much better. Groove Armada were great. I think that subliminal will kick off when Morillo will be joined by other star djs, till then I think the night will be risky (dependant on Morillo's mood).
[/quote]

N8 said:
Every time i've been to def mix (a far few) in the last two years its been awful.

You've not been a good night then cause I've had some amazing nights there.

Maybe we have different tastes.

moudire said:
"Morillo = cheese, simple as that! Same as Pete Tong. "
No. Morillo is good. But as belfast&funky mentioned he wasn't himself that night. I went to Underwater on tuesday 24 and Subliminal the day after. Underwater was much much better. Groove Armada were great. I think that subliminal will kick off when Morillo will be joined by other star djs, till then I think the night will be risky (dependant on Morillo's mood).
[/quote]

Bit bored of the Morillo argument. I used to love him when he played funkier stuff, but find him very cheesy now, he just plays last years classics and them goes off into banging techy records all night with acapella overkill, its so boring to me.

Elrobbie said:
N8 said:

You've not been a good night then cause I've had some amazing nights there.

Maybe we have different tastes.

I had a good night there three years ago. Every time since Morales has played badly, one time he was off his barnet and couldnt mix sh1t. Keep going back as my mates loves david! Another night Frankie was playing and i didnt like his music, maybe its cause he was playing to the locals.......

, but Steve Lawlor is no Sasha

they are different type of djs and would hate if Lawler played like Sasha

they are both top quality in their own rites.

but would still rather see Lawler on the Terrace than Sasha.

N8 said:
I had a good night there three years ago. Every time since Morales has played badly, one time he was off his barnet and couldnt mix sh1t. Keep going back as my mates loves david! Another night Frankie was playing and i didnt like his music, maybe its cause he was playing to the locals.......

Who gives a funk what Morales plays as long as he is without top :p :lol: ;)

N8 said:
Sean - REAL classics or songs from the last two years? I bet he played the rip groove/shined on me rip?

no real classics

tunes like#

maw to be in love
sandy b make the world go round
dan harteman relight my fire
tori amos professional widow
crystal waters gypsy women

Hi
I thought when I typed unenthusiastic comments about Erick Morillo I'd be totally slagged off but Its refreshing that I haven't been (yet!). Last Sunday I caught the tail end of Dave Pearce (Mr Cheese) on Radio 1 and one of the top Ibiza tracks was along the lines 'You are so beautiful'. Before this record was played there was a number of clubbers saying that they'd heard Erick Morillo playin it @ Pacha. This is a Paul Van Dyk style choon - I mean it was pure trance. Erick, are u trying to ditch your loyal following for 15 year old cheesy quavers who need acne cream - c'mon on? Considering what you're playing lately I dont think this is an unfair question. As they say in Belfast, 'Wise up!'
I must pay respect 2 smokin jo who was xcellent at both Space and Manumission. Also Roger Sanchez was simply superb at Mambo.

seanbelfast said:
N8 said:

no real classics

tunes like#

maw to be in love
sandy b make the world go round
dan harteman relight my fire
tori amos professional widow
crystal waters gypsy women

Ah right, mymates heard Erick last night, said he played most of those!

Back