english speaking = racism ? ! ?

I

icebaer69

**** - it gets crazier day by day:

"...
Taxi drivers accused of racism for displaying sign
saying they are 'English speaking'By Daily Mail Reporter

A racism row has broken out after a city's taxi drivers started displaying stickers
in their cars saying they are 'English speaking'.
Up to a dozen drivers have been showing off the notices bearing the St George's Cross
on the back windows of their cars in Southampton, Hampshire.
The small red and white sticker declares the cab is being driven
by an 'English speaking driver.'

A racism row has broken out after taxi drivers in Southampton started
displaying stickers in their cars saying they are 'English speaking'
But the flags have been branded 'racist' by trade representatives, councillors
and racism campaigners who have demanded they are removed.

Taxi drivers have hit back, claiming the stickers are simply a protest to force the council
to make sure new drivers can speak good English.
..."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-displaying-sign-saying-English-speaking.html

:lol:

People get upset over anything.

If I were a minority taxi driver, I'd just put one of the stickers on my car! :lol:

far from being racist, it should be a pre-requisite surely? does it affect your ability to do the job? well yes it does I think!

is not hiring a blind man to drive a mini cab discriminatory too??

They stuck England flags with 'english speaking' in their cabs.

All taxi drivers need to have a good enough grasp of english to do their jobs properly or they won't get a license (or, presumably, get any customers!)

Thus to create a divide between the taxi drivers is, yes, racist - it's implying that the english (as shown by the england flag), english speaking taxi driver is better than a 'foreign' one. There are racist undertones in this, definitely.

Notice also Daily Mail's use of these two sentences together:

The stickers were placed in the cars after drivers received complaints about the standard of spoken English among them.

There have also been complaints from passengers about drivers using sat navs and over-charging.

Unsupported stuff about complaints, trying to insinuate that these bad practices were made by the 'foreign' drivers, when in reality that may not have been the case at all.

The daily mail - subtly instilling a fear of foreigners, hurray.

it should be a pre-requisite surely?

read the article - it clearly shows that you have to have a grasp of english to get a licence.

Daily mail articles quite often tend to contradict the entire point they were making in the last paragraph, which naturally noone reads, but by then you're 'outraged from tunbridge wells' so job done.

far from being racist, it should be a pre-requisite surely? does it affect your ability to do the job? well yes it does I think!

is not hiring a blind man to drive a mini cab discriminatory too??

I agree with you, the problem is that there probably aren't enough english speakers applying for these jobs so many of them go to those who can't.

read the article - it clearly shows that you have to have a grasp of english to get a licence.

Daily mail articles quite often tend to contradict the entire point they were making in the last paragraph, which naturally noone reads, but by then you're 'outraged from tunbridge wells' so job done.

read my post, I wasnt referring to the article, I was merely stating a fact.

big racial divide in the London taxi industry

traditional black cabs predominantly driven by old white middle-aged cockneys with opinions on everything and everyone (usually regurgitated off Nick Ferrari on LBC)

newer mini-cabs driven by asian or west africans - often quite educated in their own countries but desperate for the money - so happy to work anti-social shifts here.

then you have totally illegal cabs - driven by sex-cases who could be anyone

the advent of sat-nav means that any tom, dick or harry can drive a cab these days and "the knowledge" will inevitably become redundant

the old cabbies closed shop is seriously under threat from this and cheaper rivals and they know it!

In glasgow you get the black cabs which are a rip off and driven mostly by white middle aged men.

private taxi's which are more reasonably priced driven by white/asian middle aged men

then you get the taliban taxis which are cheap as chips and the driver speaks no english what-so-ever. Occasional ones you have to input your address into their sat nav for them :lol:

the old cabbies closed shop is seriously under threat from this and cheaper rivals and they know it!

what they should do let us know they're english (maybe with a flag in the back window?) so we can slowly drive the foreigners out of business and reclaim what is rightfully theirs.

:lol:

you were still a bit outraged ;) :lol:

not at all, stop trying to do a daily mail on me!! :lol:

imagine...poor young lady, lives on her own, no support network, goes into labour, they wont send an ambulance (i know for a fact they wont) rings her local private hire. Chap pulls up outside, probably a lovely man, but has a very basic grasp of english!

"st marys please"

the man nods, consults his tom, tom!!

20 mins and £15 later, he pulls up at sainsbury's!!

it could happen!!! ;)

not at all, stop trying to do a daily mail on me!! :lol:

imagine...poor young lady, lives on her own, no support network, goes into labour, they wont send an ambulance (i know for a fact they wont) rings her local private hire. Chap pulls up outside, probably a lovely man, but has a very basic grasp of english!

"st marys please"

the man nods, consults his tom, tom!!

20 mins and £15 later, he pulls up at sainsbury's!!

it could happen!!! ;)

it could do, hence why they make people pass a test ;)

also any taxi driver that can't distinguish between a woman in labour and one that is just very very hungry and needs to go to sainsbury's is quite a spectacular man and deserves his own TV show or movie, like Borat.

it could do, hence why they make people pass a test ;)

also any taxi driver that can't distinguish between a woman in labour and one that is just very very hungry and needs to go to sainsbury's is quite a spectacular man and deserves his own TV show or movie, like Borat.

funnily enough its not all screaming, legs akimbo and "get me a hot towel"

at the begining it can be very low key ;)

99% of taxi journey's I've been on I wouldn't have noticed if it had been a Cow driving the cab.

Storm in a teacup.

Back