End of the season gigs.

NakedAge

A friend on another forum told me the best months to go to Ibiza were June, July and August. .. I've never been but was wondering, I don't want to go in July and I think the opening is too close for me to get there, but August I think is when I want to go.

I want to go only to play music. I don't want to drink and get drunk and take drugs or any of that. Just to play music, and so I was wondering whats good in the last month? Is there still many people or does the majority come at the start then leave towards the end? Do many people stay all 3 months? What's the general, feel or the vibe of the last month?

Does it go off with a bang or, simmer down?

Does it go off with a bang or, simmer down?

Alot of people say July is the best time to go but August is definitely the busiest, the season runs till the end of september and the clubs will all be open then. It's a lot cheaper to go in september.

whether you come in may or august, it's hard to get gigs.

the reality is though that the early bird catches the worm, so people on the island in april-june, sniffing around and asking questions, will have a better chance of getting a gig than someone who turns up in august.

in august, you're depending on people having left/been sacked, which does happen but most people tend to stick around till at least the start of sep.

the other thing to say is that it's quite difficult to separate the going out thing, which you say you're not interested in, and a job like DJing..........many leads/friends/good people to know are the ones you'll meet if you're out clubbing.

good luck!

the reality is though that the early bird catches the worm, so people on the island in april-june, sniffing around and asking questions, will have a better chance of getting a gig than someone who turns up in august.

exactly.... the chances of scoring a gig in august are pretty remote unless you know people on the island that run a night or bar/club owners.... like grego said... it pays 2b out in the clubs because that's where you meet people who could help you get your next gig....

ibiza is august isnt my favourite time of the season; the clubs are packed to the rafters...

I don't want to drink and get drunk and take drugs or any of that.

Naked Age pre-Ibizan trip

200603SuitTie-full.jpg
http://thestorminmormon.googlepages.com/200603SuitTie.JPG/200603SuitTie-full.jpg

Naked Age by the end of his Ibizan trip

08002157.bro
http://www.pymca-library.com/zooms/00000000001/08002157.bro

I'm just not into it. Not even here. I don't drink or take drugs. I quit smoking 3 months ago and am loving it. But, that doesn't mean I dont like to have fun. I just like a clear head.

Ok so, having said that its best to go out as a patron to score gigs, would it be a better idea to go for a week purely to hand out demos and make contacts etc then go again the year after for gigs, or, is it like the situation of submitting a demo and then 2 weeks later your forgotten? Which, is what I expect as I'm sure theres a zillian Dj's there.

I don't know. I'm thinking of even giving it a miss. I've been talking to a few veterans and they're all saying it's not as good as it used to be and giving it the whole jaded plug.

I'm trying to think of a way where I can submit a demo that will make me stand out above the rest and get me the gigs but it all seems to be about contacts. It feels like, a bit of a Dj cast system. As if, if you start at the bottom today, you will stay there because you can't work your way up because of the politics and ****, but if your lucky enough to be connected you can start up the top. Depends who you role with. I don't know. Maybe I should wait another year?

Ok so, having said that its best to go out as a patron to score gigs, would it be a better idea to go for a week purely to hand out demos and make contacts etc then go again the year after for gigs, or, is it like the situation of submitting a demo and then 2 weeks later your forgotten? Which, is what I expect as I'm sure theres a zillian Dj's there.

I don't know. I'm thinking of even giving it a miss. I've been talking to a few veterans and they're all saying it's not as good as it used to be and giving it the whole jaded plug.

I'm trying to think of a way where I can submit a demo that will make me stand out above the rest and get me the gigs but it all seems to be about contacts. It feels like, a bit of a Dj cast system. As if, if you start at the bottom today, you will stay there because you can't work your way up because of the politics and ****, but if your lucky enough to be connected you can start up the top. Depends who you role with. I don't know. Maybe I should wait another year?

put it this way, some of the DJs who work in and around the islands bars and clubs, the resident DJs, the guys and gals who now get gigs at the big clubs on some of the big nights............they are the ones who 10 years ago, came to the island with 20 records and blagged a gig somewhere, then blagged another and even 10 years later are still blagging gigs.

they did start at the bottom and had to work their way up. yeah sure, some DJs are lucky enough to be born to important people (e.g. Mar-T), which helps........but for what you're talking about, hard graft and talent is the only way.

by the way, you should definitely come as even if it's "not as good as it used to be" *cringe*, it's still probably miles better than anything you've had the pleasure of experiencing. and anyway, what's up with you, you scared or something?? give it a go.....

yeah i agree with grego (again!) you should @ least give it a go.,....
it's better than staying in rainy melburn during winter.....
just dont pin all your hope on getting gigs over there. most bars/clubs want DJs who are going 2bb there all season... & most of those DJs dont leave after summer & stay during winter 2secure their residency & (most importantly!!!) meet the movers&shakers that actually LIVE in ibiza all year round.....

you should give it go....
what music would you're demo be just out of curiosity?
good luck.... ibiza's a fun place with or without gigs! ;)

Hi Naked Age, I'm assuming you are the same NakedAge from the DJ Mag Forum.:)

The advice above is all good. You should definitely go and visit Ibiza. You might score a gig, you might not. But you should go.

put it this way, some of the DJs who work in and around the islands bars and clubs, the resident DJs, the guys and gals who now get gigs at the big clubs on some of the big nights............they are the ones who 10 years ago, came to the island with 20 records and blagged a gig somewhere, then blagged another and even 10 years later are still blagging gigs.

they did start at the bottom and had to work their way up. yeah sure, some DJs are lucky enough to be born to important people (e.g. Mar-T), which helps........but for what you're talking about, hard graft and talent is the only way.

by the way, you should definitely come as even if it's "not as good as it used to be" *cringe*, it's still probably miles better than anything you've had the pleasure of experiencing. and anyway, what's up with you, you scared or something?? give it a go.....

Well, yes, I am scared. Very scared. I've never been on a holiday before. I wanted to score a gig before I go so then I have a reason to go but. .. Meh **** it. I guess its worth a shot right? Bring a Cd wallet, a bag of vinyl and some headphones and see what I can get. Thanks for your help everyone.

P.s. As for everyone who says "its not as good as it used to be", I havent even been but, I think anything is only as good as you make it. If you go with a **** jaded attitude of course you will hate it. If I go, I'm going with like a drowning baby attitude. You know when your a kid and you go to the deep end of the pool for the first time and your scared but then you dont die and you really love it? ..... THATS ME! :D

DabielR - Yes I am the same NakedAge. I am THE NakedAge. THE ONLY NAKED AGE!!! THE MOST HATED DJ ON THE INTERNET NAKED AGE :D

Surely thats bound to score me a gig? Come on, if they write "most hated Dj on the internet" on the flyer. surely theres bound to be some facebook skanks in Ibiza who r like "THE INTERNET, OH I USE THAT!!! LETS GO SEE, MAYBE AFTER WE CAN ADD HIM TO FACEBOOK" :p

well, maybe not YOUR life, but, everyones life is different.

End of the day. If Ibiza won't give me a gig, I'll just make my gigs better than Ibiza and then, Ibiza will come to me :) .. Even if it takes me ages to pull it off.

I have a plan see. Ibiza isn't so much part of it, more what Ibiza represents. Whilst it is a beautiful place, if another area of the world was the hot spot for dance music, I'd be hitting there. I'd also like to go to Miami. THAT I'd love. Infact probably even more than Ibiza.

But yeah. Whats the worse that can happen? I die trying? Big deal, least I can say I tried instead of saying "what if"

Bring a Cd wallet, a bag of vinyl and some headphones

dont bother with the vinyl mate.....
most of the bars now dont have the trusty technics in the console anymore....
its digital city all the way...... @ least it makes it easier to travel......:rolleyes:

If I go, I'm going with like a drowning baby attitude. You know when your a kid and you go to the deep end of the pool for the first time and your scared but then you dont die and you really love it? ..... THATS ME! :D

DabielR - Yes I am the same NakedAge. I am THE NakedAge. THE ONLY NAKED AGE!!! THE MOST HATED DJ ON THE INTERNET NAKED AGE :D

Surely thats bound to score me a gig? Come on, if they write "most hated Dj on the internet" on the flyer. surely theres bound to be some facebook skanks in Ibiza who r like "THE INTERNET, OH I USE THAT!!! LETS GO SEE, MAYBE AFTER WE CAN ADD HIM TO FACEBOOK" :p

looks to be like you're already on your way towards sorting yourself nicely now for a nice trip.

buena suerte...

Back