End of season summary/thoughts

This i fully agree with and it baffles me. Seen people walking round space closing with there head down looking at there phones not even where they are walking in a packed club.
My point is that just because someone may look miserable at some point it doesnt mean they are having an awful time and would rather be somewhere else

Can you please find the section where I said if people aren't smiling they are having an awful time? So that I can address it.. I'm struggling to find it.

I'm sure people have a great time posing, drinking Moët and filming DJs no doubt. But they are not engaging in the experience in the same way that I am. They have brought things to a culture that I have belonged to for many years and made it turn to crap. I went to see Carl Cox the week before his closing, I haven't been to his night in 10 years and just wanted to attend his terrace set. A man stood in front of me like a statue holding his phone in the air recording for 10 minutes. Yet he is the one who is in the right? Now, if I was to be so stupid as to go to Ushuiaia I would expect that behaviour.. But that is now seeping into nights where DJs that I want to see or rather HEAR are. I'm all for taking a few snaps while you're out its part of creating memories to look at and smile when you're old.. But I feel that clubbing has become all about the pictures and the videos and 'will I look ok in that pic at the end of the night' and staring at a person mixing records in a weird stalker like manner, and updating your status to 'awesome night at DC10 last night'

I
Can you please find the section where I said if people aren't smiling they are having an awful time? So that I can address it.. I'm struggling to find it.

I'm sure people have a great time posing, drinking Moët and filming DJs no doubt. But they are not engaging in the experience in the same way that I am. They have brought things to a culture that I have belonged to for many years and made it turn to crap. I went to see Carl Cox the week before his closing, I haven't been to his night in 10 years and just wanted to attend his terrace set. A man stood in front of me like a statue holding his phone in the air recording for 10 minutes. Yet he is the one who is in the right? Now, if I was to be so stupid as to go to Ushuiaia I would expect that behaviour.. But that is now seeping into nights where DJs that I want to see or rather HEAR are. I'm all for taking a few snaps while you're out its part of creating memories to look at and smile when you're old.. But I feel that clubbing has become all about the pictures and the videos and 'will I look ok in that pic at the end of the night' and staring at a person mixing records in a weird stalker like manner, and updating your status to 'awesome night at DC10 last night'

I am not and have never defended these people.
I spent 2 weeks in Ibiza this year and took my phone only to Space closing and recorded 2 short vids before i left for nostalgia (ps i know youre not directly referring to me) but letting you know im not part of that monstrosity of clubbers

I think she has a point though - who actually wants to be surrounded by dickheads on facebook killing the buzz? all very well people saying just move elsewhere - really?! how about they move elsewhere (preferably a different interplanetary system)?

I feel that I go out a lot, Iam lucky to go to many places, from clubs to bars to raves in a field. I've never once been surrounded by people on their phones etc. Not that I really notice but sure there are one or two, but it's never killed my vibe or the people around me, and judging by the comments I read after it doesn't bother anyone else either.

Shady you have made some good comments on why they won't move away, you already know why they won't, social media is coming into clubbing wether you like it or not, even the DJ's use it ( including DJ Harvey ) and the clubs, it's a good free outlet to get new followers and advertisement

I read some people have a dig at people recording Pepe's speech at Space as well, again people who hadn't been there. That night was highly emotional and clubbers had been in there for hours soaking up the atmosphere with hardly an inch to move, dancing their hearts out. So fair play to anyone who wanted a recording of something that meant so much to them, they waited so long for it and quite frankly deserved it.

Some of you on here cannot move with the times and are adverse to change, it looks like it's eating away at you which is a shame, people's way of having a good time differs, people need to accept that.

I feel that I go out a lot, Iam lucky to go to many places, from clubs to bars to raves in a field. I've never once been surrounded by people on their phones etc. Not that I really notice but sure there are one or two, but it's never killed my vibe or the people around me, and judging by the comments I read after it doesn't bother anyone else either.

Shady you have made some good comments on why they won't move away, you already know why they won't, social media is coming into clubbing wether you like it or not, even the DJ's use it ( including DJ Harvey ) and the clubs, it's a good free outlet to get new followers and advertisement

I read some people have a dig at people recording Pepe's speech at Space as well, again people who hadn't been there. That night was highly emotional and clubbers had been in there for hours soaking up the atmosphere with hardly an inch to move, dancing their hearts out. So fair play to anyone who wanted a recording of something that meant so much to them, they waited so long for it and quite frankly deserved it.

Some of you on here cannot move with the times and are adverse to change, it looks like it's eating away at you which is a shame, people's way of having a good time differs, people need to accept that.

Actually everybody doesn't 'need to accept that'. Which is why places like Berghain exist. The day we all accept it is the day the underground will die. It's not about social media being bad. I use Instagram but not Facebook and I love photography. It's the obsession with appearance where music is meant to be the purpose which is the problem. I don't think it was so bad to film Pepe's speech because it wasn't a musical moment. There are times when filming in a club might be appropriate.....

But does anyone want to explain to me why people FILM DJ's from afar?

I don't have a problem with DJs using a phone to capture a crowd, to keep a memento of a memorable party - that's completely different

my issue is with shit crowds. Of which there are too many.. as we all know. However, I went to Red Bull Music Academy in Barcelona on Wednesday - to check out a musical hero of mine Larry Heard in an old flea market under a glass roof (actually amazing, but for another thread). one or two cameras but most of the crowd were just in the dance as it should be. No fluoro vests, snapbacks or crap merchandise. Just a diverse range of people with a love of music. Oh yeah, I booked it on the internet and my barcode was on a portable telephone. get with the programme grandad...

Then stick to going to Germany and your underground scene....there you will be happy

Let others stick to their scene and be happy

Then stick to going to Germany and your underground scene....there you will be happy

Let others stick to their scene and be happy

'Let others stick to their scene'?

What about get your own scene?

What about make a new scene in Tenerife where you can stand around filming all night, maybe have a few glasses of Moët and then congregate to take your 'I stayed 'til the end' perfect selfies?

And leave all the pure ravers in Ibiza.

The funny thing is sooooo many young people, probably even younger than you, are in agreement with my argument and you act like its some point of view specific to old people lol.

Lots and lots wrong with that comment.

Would love to hear more about this.

aah man, it was magical. he really is the master - a live 2 hr set featuring highlights from his back catalogue featuring Mr White on vocals - played all the classics from the Mr Fingers era onwards 'stars', 'mystery of love', 'can u feel it' and a blistering hyper-acid workout of the 'sun can't compare'. A lovely, lovely man as well. well worth the trip across town in the lashing rain. the venue was pretty unusual - usually used as a partially covered flea market but it was a spanish bank holiday so it was a whole day festival featuring mostly local DJs i didn't know. The stunning glass roof designed by Fermin Väzquez somehow complemented the sound very well

If anyone happens to give a f^3k

I made two youtube vids for my sessions this year

July

Sept

All of us are pretty much Ibiza virgins (My first time last year).
You could class a few of us as posey as mentioned

However do we look like we are standing around on the side line, posing and not enjoying the music

I don't get this consensus on here that Ibiza has lost its vibe and it isn't like the old days?

Considering it is currently at its most busiest ever proves that it is doing something right????

I

Clear as day Joanie.....

Yes. Now can you find the statement where I said if people aren't smiling they are having an awful time please?

Anyway forget that because as I thought you've twisted something I said into something different that would support your argument. Furthermore, anyone that watches the video in question will notice that there are a range of different facial expressions from posey to p1ssed off. And still, there are none that are happy.

If anyone happens to give a f^3k

I made two youtube vids for my sessions this year

July

Sept

All of us are pretty much Ibiza virgins (My first time last year).
You could class a few of us as posey as mentioned

However do we look like we are standing around on the side line, posing and not enjoying the music

I don't get this consensus on here that Ibiza has lost its vibe and it isn't like the old days?

Considering it is currently at its most busiest ever proves that it is doing something right????

Firstly you are an Ibiza Virgin which is why you don't get it. I have been to Ibiza 22 times and I consider myself new to the scene compared to a lot of people.

Secondly, Ibiza hasn't not got a vibe, it's got a different vibe. Ibiza is an incredible place for partying but there area lot of different views to what a party should be now. The people who still hold on to the original vibe of the 'rave scene' are being pushed out and told to accept it. We just find other like-minded people and cool places but we are vilified for voicing our opinions.

Third, Ibiza being packed to the rafters isn't a good thing.

Fourth, videos are all part and parcel of holiday-making. But there's a way to be respectful of your environment. You shouldn't continuously point your video at topless women on a beach really, it's a social rule. They are there on display but does that mean they should be filmed? A sea of phones isn't appropriate on a DANCE floor.

Last of all, there's different types of posers. if you hang around with a glass of Moet always considering whether your next move will look good on your Facebook tagged pics then you're a nincompoop as far as I'm concerned :)

Life of rye, that looks like hell in Ibiza to me to be honest:lol:

Im glad you had a good time mate, Ive just got much different tastes. more aligned with Joanie99. Im an arl git :)
I suppose when some of us have experienced Manumission, Space terrace, amnesia back in the mid-late 90s etc then the events and atmosphere of a lot (most?)of current Ibiza leaves us non-plussed.
If your new to it and know no different then you cant compare to how different it was back then.

by the way there is defo posing going on in that video ;)

Yes. Now can you find the statement where I said if people aren't smiling they are having an awful time please?

Anyway forget that because as I thought you've twisted something I said into something different that would support your argument. Furthermore, anyone that watches the video in question will notice that there are a range of different facial expressions from posey to p1ssed off. And still, there are none that are happy.

Im bored of this convo as everyone reading it probably is ;)
I read and respect your comments, opinions and often agreed whilst you just remain defensive and want things to go back to what they were but the world changes and rather than whinge why something isnt what it used to be try and appreciate the things what keep you attending these events

Back