Emirates to spain: Great news

freakstar

This will cut the time and hassle of getting to Ibiza by at least a half!!!

Emirates becomes the latest fashion in Spain
<H6 class=date>DUBAI, U.A.E., 5th January 2010 : Emirates, the international airline of the United Arab Emirates, is to start flights to Madrid, providing the only scheduled passenger service between Dubai and Spain.

The daily, non-stop service begins from 1st August, making the Spanish capital the carrier's 25th destination in Europe.

His Highness Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al-Maktoum, Chairman and Chief Executive, Emirates Airline & Group, said: "The new Madrid route is particularly significant because we will provide the only scheduled passenger service between Dubai and Spain. It will also give passengers out of Spain much easier access to our international hub in Dubai, where they can travel onwards to popular destinations in Asia and the Far East. If there is one route that we have been repeatedly asked about in recent years, it is Spain, so I believe we will make a lot of people very happy with this announcement."

EK flight 141 will depart Dubai at 0725hrs and arrive in Madrid at 1320hrs. The return flight, EK 142, leaves Madrid at 1615hrs, getting into Dubai at 0105hrs the following day. The route will be served by an A330-200, offering 12 seats in First Class, 42 in Business and 183 in Economy.

There are already strong trade links between Spain and Dubai, particularly in the field of fashion, supported by Emirates' SkyCargo, which flies to the Spanish city of Zaragoza. The UAE has been listed as a priority fashion market by the Spanish Institute for Foreign Trade (ICEX), and the list of Spanish brands found in Dubai's shopping malls is extensive.

Bershka, Zara, Stradivarius, Oysho, Massimo Dutti, Pull & Bear, Mango, 13 Búho Street, Pepe Jeans, Pablosky and Camper, Loewe, Carrera y Carrera, Cortefiel, Pedro del Hierro, Tuc Tuc, Women’s Secret and Manolo Blahnik are amongst the many distractions for fashion-inclined shoppers.

In 2008, Spanish clothing exports to the UAE were worth AED 428 million (USD 116 million), while overall trade was worth more than AED 3.6 billion (USD 1 billion), according to the Economic and Commercial Office of Spain in the UAE.

In all, Emirates SkyCargo has two weekly Boeing 747 freighter flights to Zaragoza, each offering 120 tonnes of cargo capacity. Textiles, electronics, other consumer goods and perishables such as fish are carried into Spain. Dubai-bound, the commodities include finished garments, manufactured goods and spare parts for the car industry.

Spain, with a population of more than 45 million, is one of the most visited countries in the world. In 2007, nearly 60 million tourists arrived in Spain, making the country the second destination for world tourism, according to Spanish government figures.

Madrid is the fourth destination to be announced by Emirates for 2010 after Tokyo, Amsterdam and Prague.http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/english/Careers_Overview/cabin_crew/default.aspx</H6>

Congrats there, Freakstar.

Good news for you and the handful of Aussies that frequent the forum.

Congrats there, Freakstar.

Good news for you and the handful of Aussies that frequent the forum.

Yes, connect in Dubai on the A380 to Sydney - I am off to Hong Kong tonight on that plane via Bangkok - it is superb, very sociable with a bar at the back in business - one just needs to make sure that they can get back to their seat!

Do they not do a daily service to Moscow also? You should visit. Easily the best airline for getting about athough Etihad is even better for service.

Last year I had the unfortune of connecting onto a BA at Gatwick to Ibiza - it was atrocious, but not as bad as the year before via Zurich with Italiair, connnecting with Iberia in Palma. You can imagine the issues getting home...If I only have to take an Iberia from Madrid, I'll take it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Both Emirates and Etihad fly to Moscow.

I took Emirates to South Africa when I was there in '05 and thought it was a great flight (also bought a new videocamera in Dubai duty free).

I'm flying Etihad for the World Cup in June so looking forward to checking them out.

European airlines aren't as good as the big Asian ones but they're a lot better than the American airlines which, sadly, are just crap (although United flies here now which is slightly better than the horror of Delta, which I've flown home for the holidays in previous years)

Hey Freakster - this is indeed great news!!!

Whereabout in Dubai are you? I am in the Marina, been here over a year and have spent hours trying to find the best route to Ibiza from here. I am hoping that Air Arabia or Fly Dubai will announce a Southern Europe destination soon that we can get a direct link to IBZ. Until the I am going to go via Gatwick this summer (booked for July)!!

Anyway, where you go out in Dubai? To be honest, the whole vibe here frustrates me, I find the promoters greedy, they charge over the odds for very average nights, which tend to be be a let down due to numbers. They dont seem to care though as they make their money from the VIP tables...... Can't help but think they are missing the point!!

I do wanna check out Audiotonic though, have heard good things - ever been?

Also, I read with amusement the Dubai post, I didn't get involved, people have a pre-judged opinion of Dubai which is a shame as the majority have never been here and you loose too much energy trying to get your point accross. The reports in the British press are hugely inaccurate as you will know, but hey, that's the way the world works!! Personally I love it here, wouldn't swap it (at this stage in my life) for the UK, it isn't without it's issues granted, but is certainly a good experience!!

What do you work in?

Awesome!

Right now I have to go Lufthansa via Frankfurt or KLM via Amsterdam to get to Spain. Emirates is my favorite airline and their prices are actually competitive, especially considering what they offer. I usually fly them when I go home, 15.5 hrs non-stop.

I live in the GCC as well and this year i'm trying turkish airways > istanbul > barcelona with a 2 hour layover. seems to be the most straightforward and cheapest way.

there is also qatar airways > qatar > madrid

Back