El bigotes at Cala Mastella

utagaura

I remember last year just loving Cala Mastella, but didn't eat at the restaurant there.

I also heard you need to book in person the day ahead.

Is El bigote a good restaurant? worth the reservation?

Thanks!

whatever it's like i'll never know. nowhere is worth 2 return journeys to the middle of nowhere for one lunch.

a very very good place....and yes,you absolutly need a reservation...

Apparently the restaurant is so popular the King of Spain was turned away as he didn’t have a reservation !!!

I’m not sure but I believe it is purely a “fish” restaurant & the food is caught, cooked & eaten on the same day

i haven't eaten there yet but i've heard different reviews. some say yes, its really good food and a nice place (agreed - i saw the place last year and it looks nice) while others say food was average and el bigote only lives from the story of the king being turned away because he didn't have a reservation...to be read in every travel guide about ibiza...

(but i definitely agree on the fact that cala mastella is nice!)

i haven't eaten there yet but i've heard different reviews. some say yes, its really good food and a nice place (agreed - i saw the place last year and it looks nice) while others say food was average and el bigote only lives from the story of the king being turned away because he didn't have a reservation...to be read in every travel guide about ibiza...

(but i definitely agree on the fact that cala mastella is nice!)

yeah thanks!! i don't know if I'll bother.. I found the beach by chance last year an had a wander around to the restaurant.. funny thing was, i remember it being empty last year, but it was open :confused:

I have heard the king story too..

6bbcfnd.jpg

chef + (part of) family:
4qr273m.jpg

I also heard you need to book in person the day ahead.
correct (various days ahead in august ! ! ) but if you go at the beginning or at the end of the season, as i did, you can do it the same day..... i went there at midday and booked the table, then went to the flea market at cala leña and came back at 2pm :!:

izs19h.jpg

btw, during the last three months i have been eating in wok gran oriente (twice), can lluch (twice), brisa de la mar, muay thai, the gallery, el carmen, macondo, meson can toni, casita, ancient people, destino, el bigotes, hotel puchet, el zaguan and granja dunes.....

fantastic setting and a good fish stew, top tip is to reserve a stew for 2, there was 4 of us and we got the same plateful between us as a table for 2 did sitting on the next table, which was a bit crap! Would go back with the missus but forget taking the rels.

Restaurant finally has a telephone if anyone wants to avoid two treks - 650 797 633 is the number. Website due in 2020 apparently.

Finally ate there the other day - nice, communal experience with everyone getting double helpings of both the bullit de peix and the rice.

Promptly fell asleep on the beach on account of the massive carb intake.

Restaurant finally has a telephone if anyone wants to avoid two treks - 650 797 633 is the number. Website due in 2020 apparently.

Finally ate there the other day - nice, communal experience with everyone getting double helpings of both the bullit de peix and the rice.

Promptly fell asleep on the beach on account of the massive carb intake.

They're really good actually - dropped in last year to book as I was passing fairly close by - but they were full for days ahead.

However, they gave me a cellphone number last year and even called me on my UK mobile the next day to say 'come along for lunch as we can fit you in today'. Bit more than an hour's notice would have been good as I was on the South side of the island when they rang - but went up anyway .. it's not that far !! Good fresh food, cheap and friendly relaxed atmosphere in a nice setting. Couldn't eat all the 2nd serving - was completely stuffed !

yeah, very nice people. I felt a bit guilty about going for the 4th bowl of food. In my defence though my girlfriend and I had just walked all the way from San Carlos.

... the King of Spain was turned away as he didn�t have a reservation !!! ...

**** the ****ing "king" anyway :eek: :eek: :eek:

35mnucm.jpg
:spank: :evil: :spank:

Spain's King Juan Carlos under fire over elephant hunting trip
Juan Carlos's expensive trip to Botswana –
from which he was flown home injured –
arouses anger in recession-hit country

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/15/spain-king-juan-carlos-hunting

Spain's King Juan Carlos asked to quit WWF
over elephant hunting

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/323136

They're really good actually - dropped in last year to book as I was passing fairly close by - but they were full for days ahead.

However, they gave me a cellphone number last year and even called me on my UK mobile the next day to say 'come along for lunch as we can fit you in today'. Bit more than an hour's notice would have been good as I was on the South side of the island when they rang - but went up anyway .. it's not that far !! Good fresh food, cheap and friendly relaxed atmosphere in a nice setting. Couldn't eat all the 2nd serving - was completely stuffed !
I've gone in each of the past 2 years since I discovered the place.
Love it!

Great food but I also love the setting, the atmosphere and the service.

(original poster of this old thread, utagaura, was there with me last year!)

sad news - the chef of el bigote died two days ago. it seems he's fallen out of his boat while fishing, people then found him dead yesterday. the restaurant's currently closed.

sad news - the chef of el bigote died two days ago. it seems he's fallen out of his boat while fishing, people then found him dead yesterday. the restaurant's currently closed.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:(

That's so sad!!!

I love that place. I went there at least once per visit to the island from when I discovered it in 2010 until my last visit in 2013.

I had a dinner party in March for which I made one stew from each continent and the European one was bullit de peix. I told all my friends the story of El Bigote and the mustachioed man and his fishing boat. My girlfriend was genuinely excited when I promised to take her there during our trip this September.

Even if they reopened, it wouldn't be the same without that guy and his mustache sitting at the table in the back. :(

(Mackie - I may need a recommendation on another restaurant to take her to. I know you always thought there was better bdp on the island.)

morbs - I think the one died wasn't the actual mustache guy (but mackie will confirm)

as for wicked bullit de peix, check out s'espartar on the road to cala tarida. by far not as great a venue as el bigote, but the bullit is out of this world (IMO).

Back