El Barco

Olly

No longer active
some of you may know El Barco, this pretty fab floating spanish bar on a fixed moored boat down on the Thames by temple in the heart of London town and it was just my luck that it would be full to capacity on saturday night, with about 15minutes to go till kickoff before the big game, two burly bouncers not allowing anyone else down the gangway, a real shame because the atmosphere generated by the expat Catalans and the food/drink are always top notch - cue a frantic search for another decent venue and eventually a pub was found opposite Borough Mkt, fish & chips and beer. aah well. In the end, didn't think the game was all that, and Madrid could well have won with 10 men. It was never going to be another 2-6! I'd like to think there was less urgency because of the 4 games, this was prob the least important but still have nagging doubts... next stop: Wednesday, which is all about the Copa del Rey final

Last edited by a moderator:
some of you may know El Barco, this pretty fab floating spanish bar on a fixed moored boat down on the Thames by temple in the heart of London town and it was just my luck that it would be full to capacity on saturday night, with about 15minutes to go till kickoff before the big game, two burly bouncers not allowing anyone else down the gangway, a real shame because the atmosphere generated by the expat Catalans and the food/drink are always top notch - cue a frantic search for another decent venue and eventually a pub was found opposite Borough Mkt, fish & chips and beer. aah well. In the end, didn't think the game was all that, and Madrid could well have won with 10 men. It was never going to be another 2-6! I'd like to think there was less urgency because of the 4 games - this was prob the least important but still have nagging doubts... next stop: Wednesday, which is all about the Copa del Rey final

Lets go real Madrid

some of you may know El Barco, this pretty fab floating spanish bar on a fixed moored boat down on the Thames by temple in the heart of London town and it was just my luck that it would be full to capacity on saturday night, with about 15minutes to go till kickoff before the big game, two burly bouncers not allowing anyone else down the gangway, a real shame because the atmosphere generated by the expat Catalans and the food/drink are always top notch - cue a frantic search for another decent venue and eventually a pub was found opposite Borough Mkt, fish & chips and beer. aah well. In the end, didn't think the game was all that, and Madrid could well have won with 10 men. It was never going to be another 2-6! I'd like to think there was less urgency because of the 4 games, this was prob the least important but still have nagging doubts... next stop: Wednesday, which is all about the Copa del Rey final

Are you a member of la Penya Blaugrana? im supposed to be but have never gone to that place. Is it a good place for food?
I got a facebook message from them saying sorry for turning so many people down on saturday, looks like you were one of them.

As for the match, we should've killed them of when we had the chance. Still, love the way the Madrid fans were celebrating the draw lke they've won the league..

As for the match, we should've killed them of when we had the chance. Still, love the way the Madrid fans were celebrating the draw lke they've won the league..

i think they may knock you out the champs league you know mate....

Are you a member of la Penya Blaugrana? im supposed to be but have never gone to that place. Is it a good place for food?
I got a facebook message from them saying sorry for turning so many people down on saturday, looks like you were one of them.

no, deffo need to get more involved.

i think they may knock you out the champs league you know mate....

quite an interesting review of the game in the Guardian yesterday - the sense that although Barca were obviously the superior side for large stretches, Madrid emerged from the game happier. Psychologically, Madrid may have turned into a tactical cup side under Mourinho and that has provoked a bit of anguish in Marca and AS who traditionally were used to an imperial style of football, the paradox being that precisely this kind of Inter-style play (200 passes to Barcelona's 800 passes) is their best hope of making it through..

quite an interesting review of the game in the Guardian yesterday - the sense that although Barca were obviously the superior side for large stretches, Madrid emerged from the game happier. Psychologically, Madrid may have turned into a tactical cup side under Mourinho and that has provoked a bit of anguish in Marca and AS who traditionally were used to an imperial style of football, the paradox being that precisely this kind of Inter-style play (200 passes to Barcelona's 800 passes) is their best hope of making it through..

exactly. he (mourinho) knows how to play over 2 legs better than anyone else out there. be very interesting for sure!

If I go and watch next weeks game in a bar in Valencia, who should I be supporting?

Is it Catalans vs The Rest Of Spain, or should I be cheering Real on due to the East coast (Spurs/Arsenal esque) Valenthia/Bartha rivalry?

If I go and watch next weeks game in a bar in Valencia, who should I be supporting?

Is it Catalans vs The Rest Of Spain, or should I be cheering Real on due to the East coast (Spurs/Arsenal esque) Valenthia/Bartha rivalry?

Man Utd.

haha, I would say politically, on the whole, Valencia hate Barcelona more - (various territorial, linguistic, historical factors at play + it's a Partido Popular stronghold) there are pockets of Valencia where they still speak Catalan, or there were when I went to the Fallas in 1996 - but it's smallscale these days. It really depends on where you end up. Or give it 10minutes and assess the mood around you, and follow the herd!

Go with the Real team I say, real Madrid. That being said, I lived in Andalusia and there they supported Barcelona:evil: (crazy people). I lived there long enough so there was only banter thrown around. The people on the bandwagon only look at the table to decide who to support. come on Real Madrid.

Go with the Real team I say, real Madrid. That being said, I lived in Andalusia and there they supported Barcelona:evil: (crazy people). I lived there long enough so there was only banter thrown around. The people on the bandwagon only look at the table to decide who to support. come on Real Madrid.

Barca have penyas (supporters associations) all over Spain (and beyond)

I'm going to ignore your inflammatory opening comments

I've a flinching to go with Real, if purely because Barca are just so...worthy...All neat passes by immaculate players and "check us out, we don't even have a sponsor on our shirts/oh yes now we do but it's a charity" FFS.

If Barca win though JM is always good value to clasp to some missed penalty and tell the press forever more it was "the time we drew* with Barcelona"

*over 2 legs, ignoring the away goals rule, allowing for the 4 missed sending offs, one of which was a defender which stopped a ball on the line and the fact the ref was seen in the Barca showers after the game..."

the 'holier than thou' stuff annoys me too at times. Not so much the players like Xavi who sincerely believe in the 'philosophy' - it's the PR machine around it that grates. Selling the shirt out to Qatar was financially necessary but basically proof that petrodollars override any principles these days. [The last true ideallists of spanish football are probably Athletic Bilbao.] Moreover, Barca ceased to be 'victims' a long time ago but milked that image whilst Madrid were on top. That all said, I still think most neutrals would warm more to Barcelona than their infinitely more shady and corrupt counterparts at the Bernabeu.

Last edited by a moderator:
the 'holier than thou' stuff annoys me too at times. Not so much the players like Xavi who sincerely believe in the 'philosophy' - it's the PR machine around it that grates. Selling the shirt out to Qatar was financially necessary but basically proof that petrodollars override any principles these days. [The last true ideallists of spanish football are probably Athletic Bilbao.] Moreover, Barca ceased to be 'victims' a long time ago but milked that image whilst Madrid were on top. That all said, I still think most neutrals would warm more to Barcelona than their infinitely more shady and corrupt counterparts at the Bernabeu.

I think the two clubs are two peas in the same pod. When I lived in Spain I would go and see Seville. La Liga now is the big two and the rest of the clubs.

Back