Education/Schools in Ibiza

All change!
We woke up this morning extra early for his first day, first time we have used an alarm clock in 2 weeks. Packed him a lunch and some bits we thought he would need and off we trot to the school.
The headmistress tells us that they are too busy for him to start today, will probably be some time next week! And we need to return to the school before this with copies of passports, the EHIC and......vaccination records.
We only have one out of three with us so I don't know how it will go. Stay tuned for an update when it happens.

All change!
We woke up this morning extra early for his first day, first time we have used an alarm clock in 2 weeks. Packed him a lunch and some bits we thought he would need and off we trot to the school.
The headmistress tells us that they are too busy for him to start today, will probably be some time next week! And we need to return to the school before this with copies of passports, the EHIC and......vaccination records.
We only have one out of three with us so I don't know how it will go. Stay tuned for an update when it happens.

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!! what a nightmare in every possible way :( its quite funny that hte attitude they have is they are too busy for him to start school!! maybe once hes in you could say 'we're too busy to bring my son to school today lol'

when they say vaccination records, what exactly are they looking for? do they want the red book or a letter from the dr/nurse who gave them? do you think they will contact the drs to make sure you havent lied? what are you going to do about getting the stuff they want?

can anyone who has their child in a school in ibiza from the uk please tell me what they did about vaccinations? has anyone got a child in school in ibiza that hasnt had some or all of them?

are the jabs different to the ones they have in the uk?

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!! what a nightmare in every possible way :( its quite funny that hte attitude they have is they are too busy for him to start school!! maybe once hes in you could say 'we're too busy to bring my son to school today lol'

when they say vaccination records, what exactly are they looking for? do they want the red book or a letter from the dr/nurse who gave them? do you think they will contact the drs to make sure you havent lied? what are you going to do about getting the stuff they want?

We had to show the red book which contains details of the vaccinations. They don't (or didn't in our case) contact our GP. I can't imagine they have too many children turning up without having had vaccinations tbh!

We had to show the red book which contains details of the vaccinations. They don't (or didn't in our case) contact our GP. I can't imagine they have too many children turning up without having had vaccinations tbh!

Ok thanks. I have pmed you :) I have very valid reasons as to why my kids do not have all their jabs. Not sure trying to explain that to only spanish speaking teachers would help my case though?

that's me too, got to find the red book when I get back to the uk, if I can't find it then I will ask at the doctors for a copy but I can't see them stopping the education or excluding him. Will let you know how it goes but we could be talking a month!

The jabs they have here are the same as the UK ones (probably with slightly different medical brand names tho), MMR, Tetanus etc etc.. You'd have to ask the specific school if they're ok with "jabless" kids... there is always at least one member of staff in the school who can speak English... just ask if you can speak English to someone!

have your kids not had all their jabs then rewdan? my son has had the first 4, my daughter has had the first 2. I will probably give my new baby the first one and see what happens. I want them to have tetanus cos I agree with them having that. I havent just not given them the other jabs to be a pain, my son was really ill for a long time after having his. Not putting him through that again :(

I found a really good website that told me all about the vaccinations that you have in spain, it seems pretty similar to the uk.

Ok thanks. I have pmed you :) I have very valid reasons as to why my kids do not have all their jabs. Not sure trying to explain that to only spanish speaking teachers would help my case though?
Like all parents probably do, we considered the pro's and cons of the jabs at the time our little boy was due to have them. Once you have the paper from the education office to say your child has a place at school X, I think it is very difficult for the school to refuse, but they do make it tricky as possible for some reason! Don't be worrying excessively about the jabs, that is the very final hurdle, and one you will tackle at the time, get to that stage and you are almost there.

Like all parents probably do, we considered the pro's and cons of the jabs at the time our little boy was due to have them. Once you have the paper from the education office to say your child has a place at school X, I think it is very difficult for the school to refuse, but they do make it tricky as possible for some reason! Don't be worrying excessively about the jabs, that is the very final hurdle, and one you will tackle at the time, get to that stage and you are almost there.

Thank you :)

just got back to the freeeezing cold Uk at lunch time, phoned my doctor who printed the records out there and then so I just need to go pick them up.
I agree with WeLuvIbiza, get the place at the school first, they don't seem too concerned with the other stuff but probably best to give them what you can.
Also, the EHIC we gave them had expired 4 years ago but nobody noticed. Just organised a new one for him!

Hello everybody,

Me and my family will be moving to Ibiza at the end of this month. My eldest son is 5,5 years old and currently attending a Rudolph Steiner school in Amsterdam.
I have heard people say that there are plans for a starting a Rudolph Steiner & Montessori school in 2014. I am wondering if anybody has more information? I would love to get involved.

Thank you in advance!

Jacinta

Hi Grego
I've been really interested to read some of your posts since you got your kids into school in 2008 .......so many thanks for the advice you have given already :)
As I'm not sure how long I will/can be in Ibiza for, I'm a little concerned with my 7 y.o having to learn Catalan as well as Spanish ( we have both started to learn Spanish in the UK) and am wondering if the concertado schools might be a better option for him purely from a linguistic point of view. (If we were planning to stay for years then we might as well bite the bullet, as it were, and take our chances with a local school teaching in Catalan, but as that is't necessarily the case I'm wary of him having to pick both up simultaneously (although it seems that for young kids this isn't too much of a problem )).
Firstly, are there any state schools that teach in Spanish? (I've read it's a legal requirement they teach in Catalan so I'm assuming not), and if not, how can I find out a bit more about the concertado schools? Any other thoughts or advice on the matter would be most welcome!
Also, I'm a bit confused about what to do first! Find a school and then find somewhere to rent nearby, or find somewhere to rent so that I can get a certificado de empadronamiento - but I imagine in order to have this in time for school applications you'd need to be living in Ibiza months earlier.
In the event, school choice may well come down to where there are spaces, since we're planning to come in March - not the start of the school year in Sept. Again, I'm hoping that won't be a problem?
Many many thanks in advance for your time!!
Clo

Hi everyone
Just posting this again as I mucked up a pm! - please can anyone advise me on the following?

I'm moving to Ibiza with my 7 y.o. son but as I'm not sure how long I will/can be in Ibiza for, I'm a little concerned with my 7 y.o having to learn Catalan as well as Spanish ( we have both started to learn Spanish in the UK). Obvisouly if we were planning to stay for years then we would take our chances with a local school teaching in Catalan, but as that is't necessarily the case I'm wary of him having to pick both up simultaneously -although it seems that for young kids this isn't too much of a problem ...

Firstly, are there any state schools that teach in Spanish? (I've read it's a legal requirement they teach in Catalan so I'm assuming not), and if not, how can I find out a bit more about the concertado schools, which might be better purely from a linguistic point of view? Any other thoughts or advice on the matter would be most welcome!

Also, I'm a bit confused about what to do first! Find a school and then find somewhere to rent nearby, or find somewhere to rent so that I can get a certificado de empadronamiento - but I imagine in order to have this in time for school applications you'd need to be living in Ibiza months earlier.
In the event, school choice may well come down to where there are spaces, since we're planning to come in March - not the start of the school year in Sept. Again, I'm hoping that won't be a problem?

Hi everyone
Just posting this again as I mucked up a pm! - please can anyone advise me on the following?
I'm moving to Ibiza with my 7 y.o. son but as I'm not sure how long I will/can be in Ibiza for, I'm a little concerned with my 7 y.o having to learn Catalan as well as Spanish ( we have both started to learn Spanish in the UK). Obvisouly if we were planning to stay for years then we would take our chances with a local school teaching in Catalan, but as that is't necessarily the case I'm wary of him having to pick both up simultaneously -although it seems that for young kids this isn't too much of a problem ...
Firstly, are there any state schools that teach in Spanish? (I've read it's a legal requirement they teach in Catalan so I'm assuming not), and if not, how can I find out a bit more about the concertado schools, which might be better purely from a linguistic point of view? Any other thoughts or advice on the matter would be most welcome!

Many thanks!

Back