Eddie Halliwell like set

Bigmaz

Hi guys

When I was in Ibiza, one of the highlights for me was Eddie Halliwell. Played most of my fave classic dance anthems, was amazing.... I noticed he is only playing once in Ibiza this year, so I will miss his set. Any similar DJ sets that I should look out for?

Thanks

Mauro Picotto at Sankeys 2 dates in August. But otherwise not a lot. Hard Trance not big in Ibiza

Dance 88/89 at Sankey's might be up your street. I imagine Judge Jules will be playing something similar to Eddie Halliwell and although he's widely (and unfairly IMO) slagged off, and I shall no doubt get a kicking for recommending him, I have a soft sport for Jules because he got me in to the Ibiza scene back in the day (and I'm partial to a bit of classic trance too).

Dance 88/89 at Sankey's might be up your street. I imagine Judge Jules will be playing something similar to Eddie Halliwell and although he's widely (and unfairly IMO) slagged off, and I shall no doubt get a kicking for recommending him, I have a soft sport for Jules because he got me in to the Ibiza scene back in the day (and I'm partial to a bit of classic trance too).

Why does he get slagged off here? I think a lot of us got into the scene because of him on R1 :)

Why does he get slagged off here? I think a lot of us got into the scene because of him on R1 :)
I don't really know, I don't think he gets half the credit he deserves for shaping the scene in Ibiza, for bringing a lot of us (Brits at least) to the island and for some great parties back in the day, not to mention giving quite a few big names a break (including Eddie Halliwell if I'm not mistaken). Unfortunately he lost his way when the Trance rug was pulled out from underneath him and was replaced by EDM, after that he never seemed to be able to decide if he wanted to play EDM or house or trance and ended up playing, well, rubbish frankly. Still, I used to love dancing round the kitchen to his R1 show and if it weren't for him I'd probably never have come to Ibiza so I'll deffo give the Sankey's night a try when I'm over this year.

I don't really know, I don't think he gets half the credit he deserves for shaping the scene in Ibiza, for bringing a lot of us (Brits at least) to the island and for some great parties back in the day, not to mention giving quite a few big names a break (including Eddie Halliwell if I'm not mistaken). Unfortunately he lost his way when the Trance rug was pulled out from underneath him and was replaced by EDM, after that he never seemed to be able to decide if he wanted to play EDM or house or trance and ended up playing, well, rubbish frankly. Still, I used to love dancing round the kitchen to his R1 show and if it weren't for him I'd probably never have come to Ibiza so I'll deffo give the Sankey's night a try when I'm over this year.

Pity I am going to miss his set, I am there in between his sets start of August. Got a few other nights lined up

You are right Jules gets a roasting on here. I still always have a soft spot for him.

I got tickets for the dance 88/89 this season as pretty much judgement is finished now. I went to opening party at Eden few years ago and think it's had its day in the sun 1000 times over.

dance 88/89 is good party I went last year too.

But don't expect Jules to be playing a trance type of affair at it. It will be more house classics with a touch of acid house.

Last edited:
So, Judge Jules...

In general, especially in his later years, he became a terrible DJ. Playing mostly EDM with his hideous jingles & voice overs.
I can't stand them personally. He's a good enough classics DJ (When he doesn't screw around with jingles). Seen him four times in the last 2 years, after a five or six year break from him. Out of those five times, the first four were amazing (Luminosity x2 + Gatecrasher x2) however he wasn't great at the last Crasher.

Musically, it was great, but his scratching and samples / jingles made the music not all that fun to listen to. If he stays away from it, he can be class.

Last edited:
I'd say that's a fair enough assessment, his GWU podcasts of recent years were just EDM tripe. Glad to hear he was good at Luminosity as I'm going there this year myself!

I'd say that's a fair enough assessment, his GWU podcasts of recent years were just EDM tripe. Glad to hear he was good at Luminosity as I'm going there this year myself!

Still contemplating coming over for a couple of days this year.

Jules's radio one show was epic back in the days trance was prominent. My first visit to the island wasn't till 2010 at the dazzling age of 22. I know judgement was on its way down then but always heard the stories of it from older ravers from when it was judgement Sunday's and wanted to give it a try. When I first started going he was playing trance style sets still and the atmosphere was great. I always made it a thing to go every year whilst on the island from there on after. I didn't go to it in 2014 for some reason (think it took a break that year) then returned in 2015 with a mate and walked out after 20 minutes. There was about 15 people in there at 3am and he was playing what sounded like a cross between EDM and tech-house, was appalling! Sad to see such a legendary night slowly die with a whimper. I've always been a Trance fan and there seems to be a revival coming with Trance being played on big shows like Pete tong on radio one alot more frequently and trance nights increase by numbers year on year I've found each season of late. Maybe if he'd have stuck to his guns and carried on playing what made him great instead of trying to go with genre's popular with the fickle mass's like EDM, judgement would still be going strong?

trance nights increase by numbers year on year I've found each season of late

I'd disagree with that. There's definitely more classic dance nights though this season like 88/89 and Es Paradis pres.
But the more modern stuff? Armin's night, Cream and the Connect replacement, Trance Family Unite, with Captured & Driftwood.

Numbers wise, it's about the same as last year and the year before I think.

Back