Dubai

we went to Dubai last march.we stayed in the Sheraton Jumeira Beech.when we were there Space were doing a world tour in Trilogy.i wouldn't put it in the Ibiza bracket though,they are totally differant holidays.when i go to the white isle i go to party,drink and sunbath for 2 weeks-with little sleep involved.although you can probably do these things in Dubai it is still a Muslim country.they're tolerant but i didn't want to disrespect the local culture.anyway there was other things to do,like indoor skiing,camel trekking,the buggy ride through the sand dunes in the desert and the local markets near the river downtown.and what about the duty-free shopping?i didn't find it much cheaper than over here.needless to say i still spent most of my time in the Souk Madinat Jumeira complex,where the bars were;)...what did you think of that Burj Al Arab?we went in the seafood restaurant-appointment necessary,with a suit-£420!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
and what about the duty-free shopping?i didn't find it much cheeper than over here.
Dubai Duty Free (if you're talking about the well-advertised shopping area in the airport) is all hype. I bought a video camera there and later figured out the price was nothing special at all.

The only plus was that it came with 3 different cords (US, European, UK) so that's one less adapter I have to carry when I travel :confused:

:eek:

At least 4 killed, dozens injured in Dubai skyscraper fire
(AP)

18 January 2007
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A high-rise apartment building under construction in one of Dubai’s new districts caught fire on Thursday in which at least four people were killed and more than three dozen workers were injured.
fire2_18012007.jpg
Witnesses said they saw a man fall from one of the 37-story building’s upper floors, and hospital officials said 15 of those injured were in serious condition.

“Some of the workers were trying to climb down on cables. One guy in red was trying to climb down and then he just fell. It was horrible,” said Louise Olson, 25, from Denmark, who watched the scene from her whirlpool bath in a high-rise that faces the burning tower.
“It was kind of like 9/11,” said Steven Wullinger, 35, a German who saw the falling man.
Black smoke billowed from the upper floors of the glass-sheathed building, located in a cluster of apartment towers under construction on Dubai’s southern outskirts.
fire_18012007.jpg
One man scaling the outside of the building got stuck on a narrow ledge on the 13th floor and was rescued after balancing on his precarious perch for more than an hour. Rescuers eventually smashed windows to pull him to safety.

Trapped workers waved towels at hovering helicopters or climbed toward the roof on scaffolding. Rescuers could be seen carrying injured workers on stretchers and putting them in ambulances.
fire3_18012007.jpg
Witnesses on the street below said the fire broke out around 12:30 (07:30 GMT) and burned for at least an hour before fire trucks arrived on the scene.

A rescue helicopter was unable to land on the building’s roof, and firefighters on the ground evacuated workers out from a 10th story window, even after most of the smoke had dissipated.
It was not immediately clear why those trapped near the roof were unable to make their way to lower floors.
A hospital official, speaking on customary condition of anonymity, said up to 25 labourers from India, Pakistan and China were being treated for various degrees of smoke inhalation.

Dubai Duty Free (if you're talking about the well-advertised shopping area in the airport) is all hype. I bought a video camera there and later figured out the price was nothing special at all.

The only plus was that it came with 3 different cords (US, European, UK) so that's one less adapter I have to carry when I travel :confused:

It's not all hype at all mate i got some amazing bargains there (aftershave/alcohol,etc)not sure about video cameras but this duty free is the best there is.;)

Back