Drum & Bass

Used to love it , then discoverd techno n never really looked back. Every now n again I'll go to a dnb night but not regularly. Still like the sound.

Everyone loves Techno ;)

I don't know. I love it all ... I kinda wish you could go to a Techno gig and have them throw in some DnB and vice versa. I think the two really compliment each other very well.

Everyone loves Techno ;)

I don't know. I love it all ... I kinda wish you could go to a Techno gig and have them throw in some DnB and vice versa. I think the two really compliment each other very well.

Get yourself to a Laurent Garnier gig, that's what he plays!

Get yourself to a Laurent Garnier gig, that's what he plays!

+1

I dont mind D&B just not all night. Glodie Timeless and The Roni Size New forms albums are genius.

in fact my Djing claim to fame is playing house in the second room when Fabio and Groovrider where in the main room!

I like em both for diff reasons , the raw energy of dnb but the hypnotic repetitiveness of techno

Too much of a good thing is never good. All night Techno, all night DnB, they'd both do my head in. Put them together, add some house even some trance, BOOYA! :D

But I got asked for a DnB demo recently and did one. (Relax I won't post it.) But I loved playing it. Its a really fun genre to play

I've liked DnB for years, but it's never been my favourite genre and I've recently really lost interest in it.

Jump up is fun but it's all so similar and it's all been done before, but I dislike the snobbery towards jump up of those into liquid/the dark DnB Commix, Logistics, Alix Perez etc play. I do like the dark dnb that has become so popular this past year though; (this kind of stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ8RbF0mVds) although I would not enjoy an entire rave of it.

Seems a lot of DnB heads are more into Dubstep these days, and many of those who disliked it at first are gradually getting into it, so I guess it's gonna become more underground which might be a good thing.

DnB + Techno would just be wrong lol, although who knows maybe in the right hands some of the more minimal/dark dnb tunes could work.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1

I dont mind D&B just not all night. Glodie Timeless and The Roni Size New forms albums are genius.

in fact my Djing claim to fame is playing house in the second room when Fabio and Groovrider where in the main room!

Touche

Got meself a little dnb collection going, which started with Timeless, reprazent some of the Bukem stuff and 4hero

Nice to listen to when the mood takes you

the s the u the p the e the r
the s the h the a the r the p
the s the h the o the o the t the e the r

super sharp super sharp super sharp

*gunshot sample rings out*

*pandemonium on the dancefloor*

*gets misty eyed*

fave tracks include

bukem - atlantis
krust - warhead
goldie - inner city life
elizabeth troy/soundman - ? (it featured on The Word once)
adam f - circles
roni size - brown paper bag
andy c /origin unknown - valley of the long dark shadows
alex reece - pulp fiction
beloved - sun rising (jungle remix)
dj marky - LK

generally preferred the coffee table jungle/intelligent drum n bass to the harder less musical ruffneck sound

in 2009, I barely listen to any of it in truth

leveticus - burial, that's about it for me.

Don't mind listening to the odd 10 mins of it but it was all the attitude that went with it that turned me off.

the s the u the p the e the r
the s the h the a the r the p
the s the h the o the o the t the e the r

super sharp super sharp super sharp

*gunshot sample rings out*

*pandemonium on the dancefloor*

*gets misty eyed*

fave tracks include

bukem - atlantis
krust - warhead
goldie - inner city life
elizabeth troy/soundman - ? (it featured on The Word once)
adam f - circles
roni size - brown paper bag
andy c /origin unknown - valley of the long dark shadows
alex reece - pulp fiction
beloved - sun rising (jungle remix)
dj marky - LK

generally preferred the coffee table jungle/intelligent drum n bass to the harder less musical ruffneck sound

in 2009, I barely listen to any of it in truth

The Alex Reese album So Far that Pulp fiction is from is pretty cool too.

Pulp Friction by Alex Reese is the greatest dnb tune of all time. IMO of course.

I can listen to it in small doses. Had my years of it back round 94-96.

Never get bored of Bukem mixes. Those essential mixes Olly put up are top notch.

Garnier always drops a few in his sets.

The guys I throw my techno gigs with, we went postering some time last month and saw all these dub step posters and, we kinda actually just felt sorry for them because, it was just so, bad, but only by our own interpretation. Like we all know someone who likes dubstep and we don't hold it against them at all, its by no ways a judgement of character especially because in our little group some of us like commercial (Cheese), some like trance etc etc but, yeah... Just get this awkwardness around dubstep.

I don't know if it'd ever fall in the same context, but I used to find 2 Step Garage, Artful Dodger stuff kinda really cool... All these genres I still love but at the end of the day theres always just too much to be an expert on any one if you like them all equally.

But as for DnB, I think, because it is drum and bass and is exactly what it says it is, for me thats why it has NEVER gotten boring. .. Like, ok I have never been fully emersed in it. I've bought some records and Mp3's, played a gig or two, listened to it in my personal areas, but, never made a point to research too many names and artists aside from the major players and even then that was years ago so I'd have no clue who is big on the scene now. But, because I always know what to expect from drum and bass, just from the title of it alone, I never get bored because I liked it then because it was good not because it was new (Maybe not to the world but to me.)

Same with House music and Techno. End of the day, if it sounds good listen to it, song for song not genre for genre otherwise you'll spend so much time sifting through bad DnB and bad Techno and bad House just because it is DnB, Techno or House, that you'll miss out on some fantastic Garage or Trance or Hip Hop or, even Minimal or DubStep.

I think Together by Logistics when mixed at the right time on a big soundsystem can send shivers down the most hardened raver's spine

Back