Downloading Dance Music

hook

I know a lot of you are going to find this question unbelievable as there are a lot of people who are musically "in the know" on here, but I've just stuck to vinyl up til now and I haven't downloaded any music since Napster.
I'm about to either go down the Pioneer CD mixer or the FinalScratch route, so I was wondering if any of you could tell me the best place to download dance music? This is not a p*** take, I genuinely don't know!!!
Just a list of websites that you lot use would be great, and maybe whether they are freebies, or if it's better to subscibe to one or two.
Obviously I'd prefer to pay nowt, but the money I'm going to save on buying records might tempt me to sign up!
Thanks very mucho!!!!

kazaa is absolute rubbish for proper house music etc but soulseek is pretty good as mentioned above. Another good app is Dc++ however its a bit harder to use and u have to find a good "hub" first (like a chat room but you share files between one another). You can get stuff a bit newer from dc usually. Irc is my favorite really but thats a bit harder to use again, you need to learn commands etc and find the right channels (again like chat rooms). I used to be on soulseek a lot and share LOTS of tunes but now i'm sharing my internet between 4 people so i dont go on as much :( If there's any particular songs that you are after then i dont mind uploading the odd tune somewhere for you.

As for websites, www.bassbase.com is ok, i used to supply a lot of house and trance to them but i havent been able to as much recently. www.truemp3s.com is pretty good though you have to enter a fake email addy every time you goto the download page. Also you will have to rename the files from .tm3 to .mp3 but thats no major task! Truemp3s mainly cover trance though.

For electro and deep house try: www.ar2k.tk here's there current top10 for download:
00: HEAVY WEIGHT: Miss Yetti - Calling The Ghosts 06.50
01: Pinkbox Special - Talk To Me Goose 10.58
02: Superball - Gbi 05.37
03: Unknown - Big Thrills 07.39
04: Futureshock - Late At Night (Switch Remix) 07.02
05: Miss Yetti - Narcisistic Detox 06.20
06: Tyrrel & Supercreep - Dope Quarter 08.44
07: Madonna - Nobody Knows (Mount Sims Italo Kiss Mix) 05.29
08: Peace Division - The Voice 08.10
09: Will Dawson - Under The Water (Chicken Lips Trax Dub) 08.12
10: Guy Gerber Pres. A.d.d - Let Me In (Original Mix)

Not bad! They update pretty much every week too and they vary in styles from week to week.

Another really good deep/soulful house site: http://www.djelectric.ru/rus/music/

This guy is a great dj too and posts up his sets now and then. Again he updates fairly often so its worth checking back.

Hope this isnt gunna replace your vinyl purchases though! There's nothin like cueing up that slammin 12" :D

Thanks for that info Damo, have you heard of Finalscratch????? It's absolutely amazing, it converts digital music on your computer to a 12" through a special piece of kit that plugs into your mixer and your computer.
Still exactly the same as using vinyl but your computer acts as your record box. Paul Van Dyk was using it at Sugarshack last week and I couldn't work out what was going on, so after looking into it, I've now got to get hold of this piece of kit. Like I say it has totally blown me away, it's produced by Stanton and I honestly think it could be a step up from the CD mixers.
If you have heard of it and there's some down sides to it, could you let me know before I part with my hard earned!!!
Here's the link:
http://www.finalscratch.com/fs4/load.asp?db=What_is_FS&sub=start

@rick: Its a download plugin that u need for that ar2k site. When the window comes up there should be a download now button or something. Its only a small setup file and once you've got it you can download all the songs :D

@hook: I know of someone who has final scratch, though he's sorta friend of a friend etc. I know he said it was pretty good but i don't know if there was any down sides to it yet. I'll try and get a message to him.

hook19 said:
Thanks for that info Damo, have you heard of Finalscratch????? It's absolutely amazing, it converts digital music on your computer to a 12" through a special piece of kit that plugs into your mixer and your computer.
Still exactly the same as using vinyl but your computer acts as your record box. Paul Van Dyk was using it at Sugarshack last week and I couldn't work out what was going on, so after looking into it, I've now got to get hold of this piece of kit. Like I say it has totally blown me away, it's produced by Stanton and I honestly think it could be a step up from the CD mixers.
If you have heard of it and there's some down sides to it, could you let me know before I part with my hard earned!!!
Here's the link:
http://www.finalscratch.com/fs4/load.asp?db=What_is_FS&sub=start

One of my DJs will be doing a Final Scratch set this friday night - I'll try and catch some of it in between running around like a headless chook - and let you know!

Well kazaa is good for movies and pop music, but for house music the best one for me is WinMX, i am DL so many things, ussusally arroung 1GB per day and many of files are really great....

dam0 said:
fusion, i dont think hook is going to be playing livesets when he dj's! :lol:
You can never know! :D :D :D

And even if he wont then he (and the rest) can just enjoy a few livesets ;)

Yea I mainly want to just download tracks, rather than sets, but having said that, I wouldn't mind getting hold of a few sets that I've heard.
I'm up and running with soulseek, it seems excellent for the mainstream stuff and that's great, but maybe I'm going to have to try some of Dam0's other sites for the more obscure stuff I want.

Back