Doing a bit of work.....

eclipse15

Ok, so this is both a good and bad post.....

I'm looking at popping over to the island next week Mon-Wed for a bit of a change of scene because flights are cheaper than a train to Birmingham (yay!). However, I will still need to do a few hours work during the day (boo!). If I stay over San Antonio way (either the Bay or town, not sure yet)- is there anywhere with a nice sea view that won't mind me camping out for a few hours whilst drinking coffee and cocktails and tapping away on the ol' laptop doing some spreadsheet shite? Obviously don't want to take the mickey, so any suggestions welcome.

I'm looking at popping over to the island next week Mon-Wed for a bit of a change of scene because flights are cheaper than a train to Birmingham (yay!). However, I will still need to do a few hours work during the day (boo!). If I stay over San Antonio way (either the Bay or town, not sure yet)- is there anywhere with a nice sea view that won't mind me camping out for a few hours whilst drinking coffee and cocktails and tapping away on the ol' laptop doing some spreadsheet shite? Obviously don't want to take the mickey, so any suggestions welcome.

lots of places will happily let you use their wifi and work as long as you order something every now and then. no problem at all

Mambos

I did this most of last summer. Spent about 6 weeks in Ibiza, taking only a week or so of annual leave. Most of the time I just worked from my hotel balcony, but when I wanted a change of scenery, Golden Buddha was probably my favourite spot. Worked in Flahertys, The Optimist, even Reggae Beach (tethering off my phone), no one is fussed as long as you buy a drink or food

I did this most of last summer. Spent about 6 weeks in Ibiza, taking only a week or so of annual leave. Most of the time I just worked from my hotel balcony, but when I wanted a change of scenery, Golden Buddha was probably my favourite spot. Worked in Flahertys, The Optimist, even Reggae Beach (tethering off my phone), no one is fussed as long as you buy a drink or food
Good infos, much appreciated

Melbourne Street Cafe beside Ibiza Rocks is a great spot to go. Love the vibe there, I always chat to the staff & customers. Really nice menu and there is lots of space to get some work done. And the internet there is super fast, they have 340mbps download speed. Highly recommended.

I can work from home anywhere and would seriously consider letting my flat out here and moving over for say a year - I guess it's just the hassle sorting it all out, trusting strangers with all my stuff and also finding somewhere half decent but affordable in the north.

I can work from home anywhere and would seriously consider letting my flat out here and moving over for say a year - I guess it's just the hassle sorting it all out, trusting strangers with all my stuff and also finding somewhere half decent but affordable in the north.
This

unless you're from an EU country, moving over for a year won't be possible

l

Hopefully the rumoured Digital Nomad Visa might change this soon
god I hope so, just need to find a new job that doesn't require me to be in the office once a week even though no one else is bothered, then I can vanish for the summer season every year haha

He's Spanish resident 😉

con 2 pasaportes!!

although with a strange Sp accent - I've been mistaken for Australian and South African 👀

on the Digital Nomad situation, I think that could get quite problematic, depending on numbers. Certainly on the mainland, a lot of locals aren't happy because of the inflationary effects on those probably earning a lot less..

on the Digital Nomad situation, I think that could get quite problematic, depending on numbers. Certainly on the mainland, a lot of locals aren't happy because of the inflationary effects on those probably earning a lot less..
I think even without this, we are already seeing the effect of self-sufficient remote workers having a detrimental impact to accommodation

con 2 pasaportes!!

although with a strange Sp accent - I've been mistaken for Australian and South African 👀

The accent has certainly improved over the years, I remember the look of confusion on a taxi drivers face in Barcelona 13 years ago as we skipped between off sonar venues, fluent in catalan but spoken with a thick English accent :lol:

The accent has certainly improved over the years, I remember the look of confusion on a taxi drivers face in Barcelona 13 years ago as we skipped between off sonar venues, fluent in catalan but spoken with a thick English accent :lol:

haha, not remotely fluent yet! not always easy deciding which lang to use - I take the view that Spanish is more useful when dealing with builders, delivery guys, cops, buses, metro, large department stores, small bars run by Andalucians/Gallegos and yes taxis! and I use Catalan when dealing with long established family stores, Tabacs, pharmacies, local government, hospitals, middle class lefty arty types, opera goers, vegan cafes, but obv always exceptions.. whilst the 24 hour offies are mostly Asian-run and they prefer English! with restaurants, it depends on the price, the posher/older it is, probably more likely to be Catalan. It also depends on what part of town you're in. Catalan is in serious decline with the young and there are only a few areas now where you still hear it a lot Gracia, Sant Marti, Horta, Eixample. I don't know how different it is on the islands.

Back