Do you drink to get drunk?

I know my limits - 4 bottles of lager on Sat night and I felt like sh*t on Sunday - :lol::lol:

Me and alcohol parted ways about 4 years ago to be honest now....

I feel sick as a dog before I get to the drunk stage and that's never a good thing :-(

I always have my best intentions when I go out for just one drink. But it never happens. I always end up smoking and other stuff.

So I am worse those those people that plan to get hammered :oops:

But this very rarely happens these days. I am more likely found sitting in at the weekends making cakes :rolleyes:

That could be the way to do it. Go out with every intention of getting smashed into oblivion. On those occasions when arriving home still standing and fully lucid reward oneself with a stiff drink :lol:

This is a bit of a subject close to my heart and wearing said heart on my sleeve a bit:

My Dad was an alcoholic from about the mid seventies onwards. He and my Mum divorced in 1980 and it was hell. He used to drink to get drunk, pretty much 2 or 3 times a day. He completely wasted his life and died at 53 of throat cancer. Not having him around has undoubtedly affected me. So, when people announce that they are going to "get drunk" it does send a shiver down my spine.

On the other hand, I am a bit of a hippocrit in a way as I am not completely dry. I enjoy a drink and on occasions maybe have a bit more than I should. It does have its benefits - It switches your brain off after work, it lightens the mood amongst friends and can sometimes improve fun after dark;). It is in the UK, sadly used for the wrong reasons and the negative effects are well publicised.

I still love my beer, it's a genetic thing I think !
I probably have a decent drink about once a week. I generally don't drink during the week - it's a weekend thing for me.
I also take nearly all of January off - complete detox.

getting drunk is one of the few outlets working class people have to get away from the dreary, stuck in a rut routine that some of them may find themselves in every day.

Unlike wealthy people, they cant jet off to sunny holidays every month or sail away on a private yacht or escape to a big country house in Scotland.

As John Hodge so eloquently put it in Trainspotting...........

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a ****ing big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed- interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of ****ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit- crushing game shows, stuffing ****ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ****ed-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?

Or as another great literary Irishman once wrote "Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life"

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always drunk loads. I like it. It likes me. And unlike everyone else, when I drink I get even funnier and better looking.

I bloody love it! But it gives me a gut

Bring on the pints of Stella - I'm really missing it.

Currently here all on my own, and I'm a social butterfly who likes to drink 2 - 3 times a week. I have no one to do it with at the moment, so I go and sit on my own reading the Ibiza Sun, playing with photo apps on my phone and tearing up beermats in to a big mound.

If anyone fancies drinks, I make a good beer buddy - always buy my round too. And with my 'comedy' background (as in radio presenter and comedy writer) I have a knack of generating laughter. **** at pool, like....

I'm in San An. Anyone want a beer? Anyone want a new friend? Anyone having a party? My round.

Vicky

Welcome to the forum, H.A.
I'd gladly join you for a beer... if you get me a well-paying job in Ibiza so that I can move there :lol:

Back