DJ Top 100 Poll

obviously worthy of a having a whole forum dedicated to it.

i collected dance music mags for years, still have 'em somewhere in an attic in england.

yes, of course people get info online but i'm not sure that need to have something in your hand to read will ever go away. it's still more practical to take a book or mag to the beach, on the tube, in bed, etc, etc

people will read again!!

the problem for journalists with dance music is that it is forever mutating, and the music is more disposeable than ever, and the hype machine is on faster rotation than ever, which means the printed article is stale before its even reached the streets. Forums and blogs pretty much killed my interest in the printed dance press, which is sad because I used to live for the reviews and features in mixmag, jockey slut, DJ

and it's a vicious circle because declining sales = declining ad revenue = declining quality of articles = declining sales

I still occasionally browse through at the station/airport and, in truth, there's no real quality journalism coming through the established dance mags - ok, mixmag has picked up from the nadir of the early 00s when it was simply moronic tits/pills features - but even now following the takeover and new editorial team, the articles remain lite, old & rehashed - eg picking up on "nu-disco" 5 years later..

it's that or press releases, and who wants to pay to read them?

The only way I can see the printed press recovering is if the online music sites were to start charging and I can't see that happening, regardless of what Rupert Murdoch thinks. (sunday times to charge users from the autumn in case you didn't see the story)

Yeah yeah and and and, the Cd's are all ****ing **** to. ;)

They used to be grouse. Now they're just all minimal :cry: ..

Every dickhead and his dog is a Dj now. .. But in time, every dickhead will get over mixing because like every profession there's the fun bits and the **** bits and the **** bits are what sort out the professionals from the tit monkey fad ****ers. Point is, technology might see the demise of the printed dance music magazine, but that death may mean one LESS avenue for Dj's to have to be seen in thus making everyones job a little bit easier competition wise. .. It'll take years but then, it could mean the #1 Djs return to #1 based on talent because theyre voted for by people who are commited to dance music. Not people who are just on the bandwagon and don't care who they listen to, tho those kinds of people most certainly do their good deeds for dance music also. Its a vicious cycle, but it'll all come to fruition.

Dance music wanted its name in lights, now its got it and it's having a sook and cry because it can't handle it. When it gets used to the lifestyle, it'll all feel comfortable again.

the problem for journalists with dance music is that it is forever mutating, and the music is more disposeable than ever, and the hype machine is on faster rotation than ever, which means the printed article is stale before its even reached the streets. Forums and blogs pretty much killed my interest in the printed dance press, which is sad because I used to live for the reviews and features in mixmag, jockey slut, DJ

and it's a vicious circle because declining sales = declining ad revenue = declining quality of articles = declining sales

I still occasionally browse through at the station/airport and, in truth, there's no real quality journalism coming through the established dance mags - ok, mixmag has picked up from the nadir of the early 00s when it was simply moronic tits/pills features - but even now following the takeover and new editorial team, the articles remain lite, old & rehashed - eg picking up on "nu-disco" 5 years later..

it's that or press releases, and who wants to pay to read them?

The only way I can see the printed press recovering is if the online music sites were to start charging and I can't see that happening, regardless of what Rupert Murdoch thinks. (sunday times to charge users from the autumn in case you didn't see the story)

I think your missing the 'beach' point. There i something fundametally 'nice' about print - it feels good in your hand, like a magnum & looks rather good on a book shelf.

In years ahead i guess if grego wants to reminise on his Jeremy Healy & happy hardcore days ;) with the kids he is going to dig them out the attic rather than gather everyone around the search function on mixmag.com. Much more satisfying.

Now if the dicussion is about what generates the most up to date contact, it's no contest of course - but to a lot of peeps, that is not the be and end all.

Back