DJ Top 100 2011

Ikoda

So, voting opened about 10 days ago.

What are your thoughts and opinions on it? Will you vote this year?
If so, who will you vote for? And why?

And for those who are in to their trance, is the top 100 killing the genre?

Last years was a farce, David Guetta top 3? Hes into pop now, move on...this year I voted Hawtin, Carl Cox, Digweed, Tiesto, Cosmic Gate for personal reasons.

it just needs ****ing off.

it is nothing like a reflection of best DJ in the world. It is however a poll that shows who the most popular DJ is. Albeit that it is marketing machines that, in a lot of cases, create this popularity.

Strangely though, this poll is held in high esteem by booking agents/promoters in areas of the world. In some areas where a club is looking to book an 'international dj', unless you are in that top 100 you do not get a look in.

Yeah I voted the other day can't remember the exact order but Paul Oakenfold was def no1 as he is every year for me with Tiesto, Carl Cox, Sasha and PVD fighting for the remaining places8)

Tbh I never really care who wins as everyone has their favourites and the five I choose are always my choices anyway:D

Yeah I voted the other day can't remember the exact order but Paul Oakenfold was def no1 as he is every year for me with Tiesto, Carl Cox, Sasha and PVD fighting for the remaining places8)

Tbh I never really care who wins as everyone has their favourites and the five I choose are always my choices anyway:D

really not trying to be argumentative here mate...but how can Oakie be the best DJ in the world??

Don't get me wrong i am not a hater, in his cream days it was the best 2 years clubbing i have had ever with him at the healm. But nowadays - he plays 'dance' remixes of pop records etc. No forward thinking, no producing, some bad bad mixing.

I respect your right to have the view like, but cannot understand your thinking?

Fu(k this stupid abortion of a poll.

Simon Cowell does dance music.

This

House music is all about the dance floor.

If I wanted to vote on something id stay in on Saturday nights and watch xfactor.

House is a feeling etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
really not trying to be argumentative here mate...but how can Oakie be the best DJ in the world??

Don't get me wrong i am not a hater, in his cream days it was the best 2 years clubbing i have had ever with him at the healm. But nowadays - he plays 'dance' remixes of pop records etc. No forward thinking, no producing, some bad bad mixing.

I respect your right to have the view like, but cannot understand your thinking?

Me an Oakey go way way back, so maybe my view is biased;)

Im with you mate he was my hero from 97-99 but since then he has disappeared up his own backside. Last time i saw him he had quite a few Train Wrecks which is strange as he was always the best mixer.

Me an Oakey go way way back, so maybe my view is biased;)

me too mate, as i said the cream residency period was outstanding. was there every saturday (showing my age now!)...there is no disputing his pulling power, breaking of new records etc etc then. But that was the like 90's. It was 10 plus years ago....

None of the guys, really, are great DJs in the top 100 (certainly not the trance element of it, can't speak so much for the others) as very little skill is required to mix two tracks together in time. The old turntabilists (Eddie Halliwell is probably the last of these in the top 100) have the actual skill, with warping, beat juggling, and all the other crazy stuff they do.
It is a popularity contest, we all know that. It's the Top 100 most popular DJs, not the top 100 most skilled DJs.

onemore: when was the last time you listened to Oakenfold?
His sound has shifted in the last 12 months, he's one of the DJs trying to revive the Trance genre that DJ Mag has so royally killed. It's a much better sound than a couple of years ago.

For me (I won't vote until the day before close, as the next two months can change my views)
Cosmic Gate - Their back to the future album was incredible, and they put on a brilliant show when I saw them at global
Above & Beyond - Some amazing gigs with them since the last poll, some of the best nights out I've had.
Paul Van Dyk - The man took me to another world in Cream @ Amnesia, he seriously blew me away. I'd never experienced Cream until I experienced PvD on the decks for three hours doing his thing.
Arty - His productions in the last few months have been top notch. Around the World has become a firm favorite of mine.

Then one of the following:
John '00' Fleming / Signum - Both of them reminded me of what Trance used to be like, 'Trance 1.0 / Underground Trance', and I loved the gig. It'd be a coin toss between them, as both raised the roof for me.
Mat Zo - Like Arty, he has been amazing, and his productions have been off the chart.

This

House music is all about the dance floor.

If I wanted to vote on something id stay in on Saturday nights and watch xfactor.

House is a feeling etc.

if i was to vote i would vote the daring duo, the dashing combo - Rob & Dan!

Im with you mate he was my hero from 97-99 but since then he has disappeared up his own backside. Last time i saw him he had quite a few Train Wrecks which is strange as he was always the best mixer.

he used to stuff up his first mix in cream 50% of the time mate!

onemore: when was the last time you listened to Oakenfold?
His sound has shifted in the last 12 months, he's one of the DJs trying to revive the Trance genre that DJ Mag has so royally killed. It's a much better sound than a couple of years ago.

being honest, i haven't seen him live for a number of years...although have heard sets etc.

I would never slag Oakie off, he was my hero for a number of years. But times change, things move on and in 2011 is he relevant as a DJ anymore?? I'm not sure.

None of the guys, really, are great DJs in the top 100 (certainly not the trance element of it, can't speak so much for the others) as very little skill is required to mix two tracks together in time. The old turntabilists (Eddie Halliwell is probably the last of these in the top 100) have the actual skill, with warping, beat juggling, and all the other crazy stuff they do.
It is a popularity contest, we all know that. It's the Top 100 most popular DJs, not the top 100 most skilled DJs.

Well imo all that technical stuff spoils the music to me. If the tune is good then why mess about with it. Djing to me is about having a great taste in music and knowing how to program the night.

He's never been relevant to me - in any way shape or form.

Didn't enjoy his epic housey trancey era at all.

Liked his first Ministry release in about '93 but that wasn't exactly groundbreaking.

Meh.

Opinions opinions - mine is just another to add to the mix I guess. :confused:

Back