DJ Equipment

Ikoda

I'm thinking of taking out a small (but sizeable) loan, to sort out my car, build a new gaming rig, and the possibility of getting a new mixer as well.

Looking to spend about (max) £1,500 on a mixer, but obviously, cheaper is better.
Am looking at the Pioneer DJM 900, DJM 800, the Denon XN - 1700 at the moment. Anyone ever used the Denon? What's it like?

I'm also thinking of getting a new set of monitor speakers. The pair I have at the moment are a 40 year old pair of wharfdales, and the sub drivers in them is on the blink (long before I got my hands on them). I currently have a digital amp and home cinema system, but the headphone output and speaker output is too out of sync. I'm hoping that switching CDJs and Mixer to Digital cables rather than Stereo RCAs will help correct this.

If not, I need a new pair of monitors as well.

Thoughts?

Don't go into debt. Plain and simple.

Live within your means.

(sorry... I know that's not what you wanted to read, but I've been there and done that. Now 100% debt free for 8 years!)

I currently have a digital amp and home cinema system, but the headphone output and speaker output is too out of sync. I'm hoping that switching CDJs and Mixer to Digital cables rather than Stereo RCAs will help correct this.

If not, I need a new pair of monitors as well.

Thoughts?

Thats sounds like a software problem with your out of sync output. It also could be that the home cinema which is most likely 5.1 digital requires a suitable sound card or updating on your devices menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really care about sound over features then don't get a pioneer mixer. Allen & heath all the way.
The other thing is as mentioned think carefully about if this is something you want to plow so much money into. What mixer do u currently have??
Don't know so much about speakers myself

Numark DXM 09, with the middle channel blown, which is a common issue on these mixers. My guess for the sync is an issue with the input on the Amp... but output from the TV via the same connection ports doesn't cause this issue. Infact, I've been unable to recreate it with anything but this mixer.

I'm not 100% sure about doing this anyway, just been toying around with the idea today.
Means I can afford to fix my car as well as this.

Morbyd: I'm already £25,000 in debt with student loans. An extra couple of grand won't make a difference ;)

Morbyd: I'm already £25,000 in debt with student loans. An extra couple of grand won't make a difference ;)
You should be working to pay that off faster, not taking on more debt!

I had around $20k when I finished school. I paid it off early (but only after piling on an auto loan and a $10k credit card debt and realizing that I needed to straighten that all out!)

Bit daft adding to that then really.

Common sense was clearly not on the time table at uni whilst racking up that debt.

:eek:

good luck...

article-1303135-0ACC5FA4000005DC-748_468x286.jpg

Bez: Yea, hence why I'm looking to replace it. I'd like to switch to a fully digital mixer (digi in, digi out), but that cost.

Olly: Welcome to student debt. That was for three years studying at King's College, London.
And on top of that debt, I also had a part time job. :confused:

Morbyd / Andy: Yes, yes... I know, I shouldn't make it any worse.
But it'll take me years to pay off that debt, and it's cancelled after 25 years so i'm not that fussed if I never pay that off.

Problem is with thinking like this is that its kinda out of step with reality. Taking out a loan is a serious commitment that should be reserved for real emergencies i reckon. 1500 for a new toy on top of what else you actually need is just madness. You can get a decent 2nd hand mixer for a couple of hundred quid. Fair enough if you need money to fix your car - I hope you mean fix as opposed to new alloys/bodykit/shagpile upholstery job. As for speakers, get down to cash converters. Try blagging a mates old mixer etc. It's pretty easy to read the back pages of Dj magazines and start convincing yourself you need all this new fangled hi tech ****. Believe me, I've done it myself and spanked on things I could have done without.

If you must get a loan, have a look into joining your local credit union.

And if you absolutely must get a brand new mixer, have a look for 0% pay nothing for a year finance deals. Just make sure you can pay it off in the year.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Bez: Yea, hence why I'm looking to replace it. I'd like to switch to a fully digital mixer (digi in, digi out), but that cost.

If you have a laptop you can download free mixing software which is all digital. You can then plug in in directly to your amp. Or if you want the feel of a mixer rather than a keyboard then you can add compatible hardware. Have a look at these guys who offer a free trial and you can upgrade to an external mixer. www.pcdj.com

Nah, car is on it's way out, got trouble with my airbag, which will be ~300 to replace, breaks are going, and one of my abs sensors is shot (I hope, anyway). So about 500 for that.

Phil: thanks for the advice. I know very little of finances, it's not exactly something they teach you in school (and also why I reckon a lot of people end up in debt). I could easily pay that kind of money off over time, just don't really want to wait.

I have a laptop already, but I don't want to laptop DJ, enjoy my own CD decks too much.
WLS: I'll keep an eye on ebay, always been wary of second hand equipment.

I have had a Denon mixer for ages (DNX 1500) and it is solid.

For Monitors, you cant go wrong with the KRK series. I have the VXT6.

You can't really call the £25,000 real debt though as you'll never have the bailiffs running after you for a student loan. My debt after uni was around the £20K mark..what i pay back each month doesn't even equal what a night out would cost me.

Definitely avoid going into debt for something you want as opposed to need. I've done exactly the same thing before and realised it's really not worth it. I shall thankfully be 100% debt free come August time and I can't wait :D

Back