dalt vila 'museum'

stephen

Staff member
i paid my first visit to dalt vila for a while on saturday and was most impressed with the museumisation that had gone on since last i was there. though i didn't go via the new visitor centre with audio visual displays and information there was still plenty to see and do all around the walls and old town.
a series of plaques in 4 languages ( and superbly written in english i might add) are placed at strategic points and explain in detail either the general history and period information, or give specific information about the place itself.
for example there are 'time-maps' showing the moorish occupation and subsequent christian reconquest (which took 700 years), the situation in the bourbon/hapsburg war of the spanish succession, and so on. detail is also given of the canons and other artilliary used to defend the city from various sieges and my favourite, castle fan that i am, the bits on the medieval wars from where boulders and boiling oil was dropped by defenders onto attackers.

all in all, an interesting day out, though sadly not all of the castle/cathedral area is open to the public at the moment because of further works in the area.
i took some fairly uninspiring photos too......

http://members6.clubphoto.com/stephen420924/1773180/owner-52be.phtml

Last edited by a moderator:
stephen said:
i paid my first visit to dalt vila for a while on saturday and was most impressed with the museumisation that had gone on since last i was there. though i didn't go via the new visitor centre with audio visual displays and information there was still plenty to see and do all around the walls and old town.
a series of plaques in 4 languages ( and superbly written in english i might add) are placed at strategic points and explain in detail either the general history and period information, or give specific information about the place itself.
for example there are 'time-maps' showing the moorish occupation and subsequent christian reconquest (which took 700 years), the situation in the bourbon/hapsburg war of the spanish succession, and so on. detail is also given of the canons and other artilliary used to defend the city from various sieges and my favourite, castle fan that i am, the bits on the medieval wars from where boulders and boiling all was dropped by defenders onto attackers.

all in all, an interesting day out, though sadly not all of the castle/cathedral area is open to the public at the moment because of further works in the area.
i took some fairly uninspiring photos too......

http://members6.clubphoto.com/stephen420924/1773180/owner-52be.phtml

I would like to visit this next time we're on the island.

Contrary to popular belief, our holidays aren't always so one-dimensional ;)

Wasn't this the museum that was meant to result in the closure of some of the restaurants in the old town?

no.

it is not a museum in the traditional sense - more a source of information for the whole area as visitors stroll round.

and there are some maps too.....

303780245_019c76d7b9.jpg

copyright.gif
flickr

sorry if i've missed it in here somwhere, but isn't there a museum of archaeology or somethin at the top of dalt vila?:confused:

yes, the museu arqueològic next to the cathedral.....

btw, the museu d'art contemporani closes at the end of this month and will remain closed for reforms during the next two years!! :idea:

Back