Cycling...The new black

does it not hurt your bits this cycling malarky? I quite fancy it as a keep fit option, however I still have a horrific memory of trying to bump up a kerb on a mates racer when I was about 13 and bounced off the seat onto the cross bar - i cried for fekkin ages :twisted:

:lol::lol::lol:

There was a short story written about that actually .. can't remember precisely but I think the title /author were

"A week on the saddle" - by Major Bumsore

Well .... less than a month on from jumping off another cliff (so to speak) and hanging up my car keys for a spell, I've finally seen the light. Modern bikes are nothing like the sh*tty old bits of metal of yesteryear and a complete pleasure to ride. Have conquered my fear of cycling in rush hour and taking on dual-carriageways and roundabouts, and taught myself how (and how not) to fit and ride with MTB shoes/cleats. The positive impact on my overall health and fitness is incredible. No more traffic jams either and most importantly - no more chain-smoking in the car.

Before this rather drastic move, I hadn't been on a bike for 17 years and then maybe rode it 3 or 4 times a year. Can honestly say the bike is now transforming my life.

Officially now in love with it and (for now at least) have no desire to drive at all. It's something I thought I would/could never possibly say. Go everywhere on it now up to 25 mile radius or so (and intend to extend that), even supermarket trips ( despite some hefty panniers and bags, capacity constraints have cut out unnecessary buying so saving me a fortune in thrown away food ).

Have only fallen back on a car once in the last month when a family member wanted to go somewhere further afield and drove, which is staggering. My life is calmer, healthier, fitter and more stable after the initial shock to the system, having relied on a car for the best part of 20 years. It's probably not going to be any cheaper in terms of fixed costs (the bike cost quite a bit more than the car and will depreciate a lot / need servicing and parts etc) but the fuel and parking ticket savings have been considerable so far.

Unlike running, which was always a mix of more pain than pleasure, I enjoy every second of being on the bike - even when it's cold/drizzly now that I've finally invested in some proper kit. Plus by combining it with doing essential stuff you don't have to take "time out" nearly as much for the exercise benefits. Mountainous hills are taking some getting used to though, admittedly - but I'm getting there !

To make sure I followed through, put myself 150miles out of reach of car transport for the last month. Think I'd have likely given up this plan when the weather got sh*t if I hadn't. However, bought proper clothes instead with the petrol and cigarette savings and am going to stick with it through the Winter. With the regular outdoor exercise, the depression I usually get around this time of year is not materializing (an immeasurable bonus 8)) and all in all feel I've really achieved something worthwhile in making a switch.

So many more possibilities now for new challenges - and a lifelong dismissal of bikes as being something of a hardship now transformed into a love and respect for them and all the positive benefits they can bring. Vive Le Vélo :p

I agree with all you say! Well I cant sympathise with the commuting bit cos i dont do that but Im a keen cyclist myself these days. was out at the weekend and hopefully again saturday or sunday morning. Road bike for me (cube agree GTC) , not tried any MTB stuff, as mostly my riding is part of triathlon training.

Hardest ride Ive done so far is Wiggins' "Ride with Brad" back in August. 100miles of the steepest hills around the The Forest of Bowland. Even Wiggins himself said hed have to make it easier next year. took me 8hrs!

I agree with all you say! Well I cant sympathise with the commuting bit cos i dont do that but Im a keen cyclist myself these days. was out at the weekend and hopefully again saturday or sunday morning. Road bike for me (cube agree GTC) , not tried any MTB stuff, as mostly my riding is part of triathlon training.

Hardest ride Ive done so far is Wiggins' "Ride with Brad" back in August. 100miles of the steepest hills around the The Forest of Bowland. Even Wiggins himself said hed have to make it easier next year. took me 8hrs!

Good luck with the triathlon ... though closest I'll ever get to one of those is the 2XU clothing stand :lol: .. 50 miles is probably about the tops sort of distance I'd be able to think about right now, but guess that might change if I got on a carbon road bike ... never tried one !

:D

You'll be raising your own pigs and chickens next!

Been there, done that, got the tetracycline treatment wash for scaly poultry feet and woken up at the crack of dawn every morning to cock-a-doodle-dooing. Never again :lol:.

50 miles is probably about the tops sort of distance I'd be able to think about right now, but guess that might change if I got on a carbon road bike ... never tried one !

Once you get the cycling bug, a carbon road bike isn't as far away as you think. It's amazing what the upgrade to one does. Much lighter, faster, stronger - I'm sure it won't be long till you get one. :eek: 50 miles isn't that far when you get the bug.

One tip I'd have about buying bikes, is never buy a new one - there are some bargains to have out there on ebay and in the cycling press if you know what you want and are patient.

I got back into cycling about 5 years ago, after 20 years off the bike and have had 4 bikes since then, all purchased 2nd hand :lol:

I am a fully paid up member to the cycling-post-wiggins-road invasion!

Getting the tube in the mornings (i.e. when I don't cycle) puts me in such a foul mood, whereas the glide into work, via Buck Palace, Houses of Parlaiament, Hyde park and the Thames puts me in such a virtuous positive state of mind!

I've gone completely the other way to the carbon fetishists ;) After my Airnimal I got 2 vintage colnago's (one super rare but in pieces!) and a Bob Jackson touring bike currently being made for me! (proper fad!)

My goal is to do L'Eroica next year - a huge vintage bike ride in the Chianti region where none of your apparel or equipment can be made after 1986

Selling the car next week and my transformation to nerdy cyclist will be complete!

I'm sure it won't be long till you get one.

One tip I'd have about buying bikes, is never buy a new one - there are some bargains to have out there on ebay and in the cycling press if you know what you want and are patient.

I got back into cycling about 5 years ago, after 20 years off the bike and have had 4 bikes since then, all purchased 2nd hand :lol:

Blimey - did you sell them on or stockpile them in the garage ? :lol: ... yes, I know the new bike thing is probably going to cost me heavily (budgeted about a £1,300 drop in Yr 1 which should be more than realistic) but until I know my way around the mechanics a bit more, would be nervous going 2nd hand. Buying 'bits' is endless geeky fun, though - and must have read more about the debate over breatheability vs waterproofing in the clothing division than is healthy for a lifetime :eek: ;)

I've gone completely the other way to the carbon fetishists ;) After my Airnimal I got 2 vintage colnago's (one super rare but in pieces!) and a Bob Jackson touring bike currently being made for me! (proper fad!)

My goal is to do L'Eroica next year - a huge vintage bike ride in the Chianti region where none of your apparel or equipment can be made after 1986

No stinting there then ! ... do you accessorize in vintage 'Carradice' ? :) (I bought their modern stuff but still reassuringly 'British' - or at least I think so anyhow ;)) L'Eroica sounds truly purist. Perhaps a bit too purist ... :eek: - but a nice goal to go for.

Selling the car next week and my transformation to nerdy cyclist will be complete!

That'll help pay for the Bob Jackson then ! Well done - bold move. Sold mine to a family member very recently ... and dodged the annual MOT and insurance caning. It was a smug moment ;) .. till I got the bill for the 1st bike service and the new tyres :spank:

I too (well me and Mr PL) have now become bikers - i havent been on a bike in 30 years but we got given 2 mountain bikes for free so thought yeah why not.

OMG I have never been in so much pain after the first 2 weeks - bad back, (didnt know you were meant to alter seat height/handlebar height) no idea how to work gears (this is not like a car!!! then i found out only 8 of the 16? worked) and peddling in gladiator thin soled sandles is NOT the best footwear!!

Basically I have done everything I wasn't meant to do in the first month - bruises in places that look like i have been physically assaulted, pain in muscles I didnt know were there and dont get me started on cycling without a gel seat or gel shorts!!!!

3 months later ? I bloody love it and I did my first 15 mile ride on Saturday and I didn't die - as Mr PL and I hardly drink and are 2 pint lightweights - going to the pub on the bike and coming back home quite squiffy is a revelation (we use cycle ways rather than roads as there are loads round ours that take you to Newcastle - so not drunk in charge of a mountain bike ;))

Its my new keep fit and I am going to buy a better bike if I keep this up for more than 6 months (which is my usual boredom plateau)

I too (well me and Mr PL) have now become bikers - i havent been on a bike in 30 years but we got given 2 mountain bikes for free so thought yeah why not.

OMG I have never been in so much pain after the first 2 weeks - bad back, (didnt know you were meant to alter seat height/handlebar height) no idea how to work gears (this is not like a car!!! then i found out only 8 of the 16? worked) and peddling in gladiator thin soled sandles is NOT the best footwear!!

Basically I have done everything I wasn't meant to do in the first month - bruises in places that look like i have been physically assaulted, pain in muscles I didnt know were there and dont get me started on cycling without a gel seat or gel shorts!!!!

3 months later ? I bloody love it and I did my first 15 mile ride on Saturday and I didn't die - as Mr PL and I hardly drink and are 2 pint lightweights - going to the pub on the bike and coming back home quite squiffy is a revelation (we use cycle ways rather than roads as there are loads round ours that take you to Newcastle - so not drunk in charge of a mountain bike ;))

Its my new keep fit and I am going to buy a better bike if I keep this up for more than 6 months (which is my usual boredom plateau)

Glad you're enjoying it 8) ... and that you haven't joined the anal road bike possy (loosely translated as middle-aged types in lycra pretending to themselves and each other they've still 'got it' and generally beeing snooty to all other bikers ;)). MTBs are much more fun... and chamois supports are far better under a pair of baggies - imho !!

Congrats on the 15 miles. Been on a bike for 10 months now - although I think I'm going to weaken and finally get a car again relatively soon ! The bikes will probably stay - even tho' they set me back way more than my car was worth :eek:. It's close to perfect riding in the hot weather by the Coast. Usually do about 13 miles a day but did 33 miles on Saturday and 25 yesterday round the local beaches with a rack full of snorkeling gear/wetsuit and provisions - no peak season parking charges to worry about and no long hikes to the beaches ... as you can take a decent MTB cycle along the paths pretty much right to the edge. Bit stiff if I'm honest - obviously getting out of condition already :rolleyes: !

On the gears ....

Your 16sp means 16 gears split into 2 x 8. Very basically ... there are 8 cogs/sprockets (circular toothed thingys) on the rear cassette (the funny looking stack of cogs bolted on the back wheel that the chain sits on) and you'll have 2 chainrings at the front crank if it's a 16sp bike (chainrings are toothed circular thingys where your pedals are and the front of the chain goes round). 8 gears are when you're on the smaller front chainring and shift up the rear cassette (8 sprockets) and the other 8 are when you're on the bigger front chainring (plus the 8 rear cogs to shift up). You have to shift between front chainrings to get all 16. Mine has 27 gears but this just means 9 cogs on the rear cassette and 3 front chainrings to choose from. Basically one extra ring at the front and 1 extra on the rear cassette = 11 more gears (!). The shifter for the front chainring is usually on the left and the shifter for the rear cassette is usually on the right but they vary and there are different types (e.g. mine are combined with the brake levers but most are separate). Hope that helps make some sense of it !

I dont drive and cycle everywhere.Do around 80-100k per week.Now my 6yr old daughter has the cycling bug so alot more now...

Yeah never had a car,just did`nt feel safe i one..always lucky with work that i never needed to drive..Never needed one for pullin Burds either..:lol:

Glad you're enjoying it 8) ... and that you haven't joined the anal road bike possy (loosely translated as middle-aged types in lycra pretending to themselves and each other they've still 'got it' and generally beeing snooty to all other bikers ;)). MTBs are much more fun... and chamois supports are far better under a pair of baggies - imho !!

Congrats on the 15 miles. Been on a bike for 10 months now - although I think I'm going to weaken and finally get a car again relatively soon ! The bikes will probably stay - even tho' they set me back way more than my car was worth :eek:. It's close to perfect riding in the hot weather by the Coast. Usually do about 13 miles a day but did 33 miles on Saturday and 25 yesterday round the local beaches with a rack full of snorkeling gear/wetsuit and provisions - no peak season parking charges to worry about and no long hikes to the beaches ... as you can take a decent MTB cycle along the paths pretty much right to the edge. Bit stiff if I'm honest - obviously getting out of condition already :rolleyes: !

On the gears ....

Your 16sp means 16 gears split into 2 x 8. Very basically ... there are 8 cogs/sprockets (circular toothed thingys) on the rear cassette (the funny looking stack of cogs bolted on the back wheel that the chain sits on) and you'll have 2 chainrings at the front crank if it's a 16sp bike (chainrings are toothed circular thingys where your pedals are and the front of the chain goes round). 8 gears are when you're on the smaller front chainring and shift up the rear cassette (8 sprockets) and the other 8 are when you're on the bigger front chainring (plus the 8 rear cogs to shift up). You have to shift between front chainrings to get all 16. Mine has 27 gears but this just means 9 cogs on the rear cassette and 3 front chainrings to choose from. Basically one extra ring at the front and 1 extra on the rear cassette = 11 more gears (!). The shifter for the front chainring is usually on the left and the shifter for the rear cassette is usually on the right but they vary and there are different types (e.g. mine are combined with the brake levers but most are separate). Hope that helps make some sense of it !

Hey Hun - no we havent joined the road bikers fraternity in their high vis glory - i prefer cycle paths and short cuts....8)

strangely enough, got a 3rd free bike last night with a different gear set up and this one is much easier to use - it has a lever on the left side handlebar which i have called "easy/medium/hard" and the usual twisty gear lever on the right and now I can understand it much more easily that 2 twisty gears lol

I am amazed at actually how far you can get riding a bike these days without going on the road (been knocked over 3 times so its no joke for me lol) - its a bloody revelation, to go to the pub for us in the taxi is £18 round trip and takes 20 mins each way - on the bike its free and takes me at the moment 30 mins each way but i do stop for a "chill" on the way there 8)

I got all the way up my first proper hill last night, without crying/getting off bike and pushing it the rest of the way up in a hot sweaty mess :lol::lol::lol:. The bruising is happening less and less now however, I have a question, will i get massive calf muscles riding a bike for an hour or 2, 3-4 times a week? I ask as its a fear of mine cos when i did kick boxing and Thai boxing for 7 years they were huge and I dont want that to happen again, so if it is likely then i will fook it off and start walking again :spank:

Back