Cycling...The new black

I-Spy

Just got into cycling after doing the London to Brighton on a 30 year old mountain bike, which was quite hard work.
So bought myself a carbon fibre framed road bike on EBay and started about about 3 weeks ago.
Now up to 20 miles, 1.5 hours a day around a bit of the Olympic course up and around Box Hill....but still have everyone else going past me, I guess it takes time.
But an extraordainary amount of bikes out these days, on Suday we managed 50 miles and saw maybe 200 other bikes out.
Anybody else into it?

Just got into cycling after doing the London to Brighton on a 30 year old mountain bike, which was quite hard work.
So bought myself a carbon fibre framed road bike on EBay and started about about 3 weeks ago.
Now up to 20 miles, 1.5 hours a day around a bit of the Olympic course up and around Box Hill....but still have everyone else going past me, I guess it takes time.
But an extraordainary amount of bikes out these days, on Suday we managed 50 miles and saw maybe 200 other bikes out.
Anybody else into it?

Agentundercover is big on this, but I think his preference is death defying off road tracks and break neck descents :lol:.

I do a bit of mountain biking and have done some downhill too. However, after I did some helibiking and flew off my bike into a tree, I figure I need more armour next time round!

I alos found a site that says there are single track trails in ibiza and was thinking of checking them out this time round. Not sure how good they would be? Do you know?

Anybody else into it?

Box Hill.. lovely place that is... and quite the cycle!

I do the mountain biking in Ibiza also. The whole Island has routes marked out for it, I think there are about 12 different ones. Quite challenging stuff.

I have the paper version of the link above, picked up from one of the tourist info offices,quite handy for the saddlebag. However the online and paper versions do contradict each other,for instance route 20 online is route 16 on paper.
I mention this incase anyone is flitting between both versions.

I enjoy cycling but often i'm called a cheat for the reason being i've modified the bike for running like a small engine scooter mountain bike not that such a thing exists?. The modification has helped my tired old legs get up a 1.2km 10% climb without breaking sweat:D and often i get funny looks from motorists who seem shocked when i overtake them:lol:. On my next visit to Ibiza i'll definately be taking it along for touring the Island as unfortunately i was refused by Vueling for taking onboard the flight because of the petrol/ oil issue's.

Agentundercover is big on this, but I think his preference is death defying off road tracks and break neck descents :lol:.

Word.

Yes, love it. Also getting into road biking a bit.

Lost my bottle a bit coming off and getting a few bone chips MTB'ing + did coast to coast which really gave me the buzz for crossing long distances on a bike. Great way to get fit and burn calories.

Only do it on my pretty light hard tail but getting a carbon road bike in Jan.

Word.

Yes, love it. Also getting into road biking a bit.

Lost my bottle a bit coming off and getting a few bone chips MTB'ing + did coast to coast which really gave me the buzz for crossing long distances on a bike. Great way to get fit and burn calories.

Only do it on my pretty light hard tail but getting a carbon road bike in Jan.

I also love the mountain biking. I didn't think I would like the road biking much, but on the right kind of bike it's a great feeling; really sets you up for the day.
I bought the on Ebay...after some recomendations found a carbon framed Focus, vitually brand new, usually £1200, but paid £700. My friend has lost a stone so far and is only 4 months into it.

Anybody else into it?

i think its time you took on proper 1st category climbs in spain or france. 8)

Tourmalet, alpe d'duez, angliru.. ;)

The feeling when you reach the top of a long tough climb is pretty damn amazing. Don't do much of it in UK, but i try to do it when im on holiday in mainland spain visiting my family.

Ferd...I have trouble enough going up Box Hill never mind some mountain.
Whilst enjoying the cycling....I am still pretty crap.
Better now though than when I did the London to Brighton where I was overtaken by Tigger from Winnie the Pooh....twice

Cycling is rolling up to be my next fad ;) Had my eye on either an Airnimal or a Carbon bike, though will probably go with the former as I just love the design.

Been thinking about an easy touring holiday next year somewhere in Europe

I did a lot of racing when i was younger, loved cycling would do 400 miles a week easily....but roads became too busy and dangerous so dont bother anymore..... ride racehorses instead.

I did a lot of racing when i was younger, loved cycling would do 400 miles a week easily....but roads became too busy and dangerous so dont bother anymore..... ride racehorses instead.

400miles a week is a :eek: amount of exercise on a bike !! Never riden a racehorse - only ever seem to get on a horse these days when they'll let me get the saddles off and I can ride them like this :) :

Last edited by a moderator:
400miles a week is a :eek: amount of exercise on a bike !! Never riden a racehorse - only ever seem to get on a horse these days when they'll let me get the saddles off and I can ride them like this :) :

Is that you?

Back