Cream, Space on Sundays & Namaste

jamese75

So, back from the white isle after a lovely relaxing 2 weeks of sun. Only visited the 3 places and here's the review.

Cream @ Amnesia 11th July
Tiesto & Piccotto

Thought I'd try out Amnesia, as I'd never been before and, despite not being a big fan of the Cream Empire, we thought we'd give it a chance.

We decided to buy tickets in advance, as the prices ranged from 35-45 euros in the listings. The posters advertising the event said we could buy from the pre-party venue in Playa D'en Bossa and get a free bus to the venue, so we took the short trip from Cala Llonga, got a bite to eat and sat in Coco's. It was quite quiet, but we were told the bus started at 11pm, and went every 20 minutes to Amnesia. By 12.30 'though, it became clear that there was only one bus and it should be there at around 1am, so we caught the disco buses ourselves.

We got in at about 1.30am after that delay, and the night was ok. It did get really hot, and busy in places, but the smoke cannon gave a short, but welcome relief. I found the atmosphere a bit flat 'though and, nothing wrong with young people, but they made up the whole of the audience, including the arrivals from San An, beer in hand, standing around trying to look cool.

Piccotto was nothing special, playing a lot of old tunes, interspersed with many breaks, ensuring very little flow to the music. All in all, it was about what I should have expected and, 'though I had a good night, it was more to do with chemicals and a positive mental attitude than the wonders of Cream. Wouldn't go again, to Amnesia or Cream, but at least it's made my mind up not to bother with Creamfields this year.

FYI- water prices: £4 per bottle, security very lapse- unless you commit the sin of bringing anything remotely resembling a camera.

Oh, and why is advertised as on Thursday night when is really on Friday morning?

We Love Sundays @ Space 14th July
Francois K & Steve Lawler

We got in quite early, at about 12.15pm and the atmosphere was really good. It was not a really sunny day either, so not too hot. There's definately a lot more Space on the terrace now. The chairs and tables have gone, and there's just one huge speaker facing back towards the DJ booth. Unfortunately, this means that the sound doesn't carry quite so wellin some places, so it's either quite quiet or really loud. Not sure it's the way forward myself!

I'd totally advise any real clubbers to get down early 'though. There's Space to dance, friendly people and plenty of smiles and eye-contact. We took our pass-out at about 4pm to go chill out, but when we returned, the English contingent were just beginning to fill the place up. As the day progressed, the place just got busier and busier, until it was virtually impossible to get to the bar.

We stayed until the terrace closed and then decided to go home. We did try inside, but found it really, really dark and difficult to adjust to the sound. The terrace music was good though, finished off with what seemed like about half an hour of Donna Summers I Feel Love.

FYI- Water prices £4 per bottle, although info from other clubbers tells me Pacha are charging £5!!! No real security problems, but if you book in advance, take some photo ID with you!

Namaste @ Las Dalias 17th July
DJ????

This small venue at San Carlos in the north-east is incredible. The hippy community of the island has been putting events on here for a while and it really provides a wonderful experience of the calmer side of life on the island. The whole outside garden is transformed with drapes and parachute canopies in the trees and cushions all over the floor, the whole place lit by candlelight. It starts at 8pm, costing 15 euros per person, but a supplement of 10 euros allows you to eat from a new age, veggie menu.

At about 10.30, the entertainment started, this time with Spanish and World music, although I'[ve seen fire jugglers there before, and we just sat and chilled over a few beers until the action started at 1am.

At this time, the dance room opened, a UV lit room, with some fantastic decor. Trance continued, in a hard, incessant manner until 5am, and there was only about 50 or so people there. This was the best night I had on the island, with some of the most friendly people you could hope to meet. It was all smiles and happiness and everyone was really approachable. You really felt like part of a family.

FYI- Water, about £1.20 a bottle (2 euros)!!!, and if you don't drive, book a taxi as the road is really quiet in the early hours.

So forget Amnesia, San An and Space on Sunday night. Get up to Las Dalias and experience this event.

come on, im sorry but i have to disagree.
you cant compare a party in space (whom won 2 times the best party in the world award), with the best djs in the world. to a dirty party in the country with unknows djs and hippie people.
im not against those partys, there must be everything in this world, but, COME ON! the common sense says what party is the better.
you cant mesure the quality by how much the water costs inside, or say you were not inside because it was dark, when the main dj of the party was djing inside.

How come you only went to 3 nights? What else did you get up to?

A few of my mates have said that things seem a lot quieter this year, is it noticeable?

jamese75, if you are continiuing making so much commercial for las dalias, there will be soon the san an arrivals, with the beer ;-))

Don't worry they go to ibiza for a "mad one"; hence the fact u don't see many beer boys at the sunset cafes. Those hippy festivals are just to quiet for them. They wud get bored very quickly.

come on, im sorry but i have to disagree.
you cant compare a party in space (whom won 2 times the best party in the world award), with the best djs in the world. to a dirty party in the country with unknows djs and hippie people.
im not against those partys, there must be everything in this world, but, COME ON! the common sense says what party is the better.
you cant mesure the quality by how much the water costs inside, or say you were not inside because it was dark, when the main dj of the party was djing inside

Ooooooh. For someone in Ibiza, you got an awful attitude ain't you?

But, for your benefit, I can (and have) compared Space to Las Dalias. I don't really care what awards it has won. The atmosphere was better at Namaste. That is my opinion, probably shared by thousands who enjoy the vibe at smaller venues (including many big name DJs).

But if you don't want to go there, please feel free to keep your closed mind elsewhere!!!

Anyway, I don't recall saying Space was rubbish, in fact I advised to go earlier than most to really enjoy the feel of the place. As far as not going inside, this was a review of my night and not a judgement of what Space should do with the inside. I think I'm really saying that the terrace in the day is what makes Space so special and different. A dark room with some lights and music, well, ain't that fairly similar to most other large clubs on and off the island?

And water prices... well FYI, FYI means For Your Information and thats what it is for. I don't really have to justify this to you!

However, I suggest you take you bee and your bonnet and find some other d1ckhead to annoy. You know, find something really worth making a fuss over!

How come you only went to 3 nights? What else did you get up to?

A few of my mates have said that things seem a lot quieter this year, is it noticeable?

I don't go just for the clubs. I go to relax, catch some rays and catch up with sleep. General recuperation from London life really. So I try to pick a few nights and really enjoy the whole experience. Less money worries too that way.

Other than that, we went to Formentera for the day, well worth the trip!!! It's beeeeeeaaautiful!!!!

As far as being quieter, well it was a lot less busy everywhere, but I have always been in August before, so I couldn't really draw any comparisons.

jamese75, if you are continiuing making so much commercial for las dalias, there will be soon the san an arrivals, with the beer ;-))

I take your point, but I think Technoboy kinda sums it up. Some people never want to listen, always want to make their own mistakes!

Besides, hopefully the large regular hippy community will show some of these people the real side to Ibiza. I can't see anyone not being able to chill there!

Anyway, shhhhhh! Not another word, I promise! ;)

James75 ,
Could you pleaser tell me if Nasmaste@las dalias is on a certain day of the week as i wouldnt mind checking it out.

my mind is not closed, i have been in many kinds of partys, and, see, its ok to go to las dalias if you like that kind of party, but saying 'forget to go to space a sunday and go to las dalias', makes me laugh..
i know that many people prefeer las dalias, and i know people that would die before crossing the door of space, but, IN MY OPINION, space has a quality 100000 times better than those places.

thanks for the review james, very interesting read - i've heard very mixed things about cream this year...

haven't managed it myself to las dalias for tribe of frog on monday or namaste on wedensday, but will definitely check it out - went two years ago and highlight drive were playing live goa trance with two e-guitars and loads of bongos - blew my mind - great atmosphere, friendly and so cheap...

nice one!

p.s. do enjoy space terrace at sunset on a sunday too ;););)

Cheers James, but don't get me wrong,

The Terrace at Space is fantastic. For me it is Space, Ibiza and what makes the clubs there so different.

Dancing etc... during the day is something very different, and as close as you could get to that festival feel incorporating the same ingredients.

Of course, it is not my first experience, and I thought my impressions last year were better than this (on that particular day).

I just hope I can start something similar in London.

Hmmm...

Well when I went to Cream, I thought it was great once the beerboys f*cked off. I may have been a "San Antonio arrival" but I'm sure I added to the atmosphere. Did you stay till the very end of Cream? I had Tiesto and Paul Van Dyk on the 18th July and thought they were great. I don't see how you can say that because of that one night with just 2 DJs, you wouldn't want to go to Creamfields. You cannot campare Cream @ Amnesia to Creamfields at all. Completely different. This sounds more like a bit of a chip on the shoulder towards Cream.

I can't comment on the terrace of Space because I only arrived around midnight to see Sasha and Sander Kleinenberg. I thought it was a very cool club. Sander Kleinenberg played a really amazing set. So f*ck if it's dark inside, better than being very bright!

I would say my best night was Ministry Of Sound @ Pacha though. Really good music, really good atmosphere, really pretty and friendly girls! :D

I was wondering if it was definately Picotto you didn't like - without sounding too trainspottery it's more likely Tiesto would be playing breakdown heavy stuff, and I've also heard he's playing a lot of older stuff like Seven Cities, Cafe del Mar and The Prophet. Whilst Picotto's stufff moves further from Trance everytime I hear him.

When Cream is too busy though it's a nightmare - you can't dance, move etc.

Although the word is that Cream Liverpool is on tits deathbed, and they're concentrating on Ibiza/Creamfields etc.

The demise of the "super"clubs continues......

I don't honestly know whether it was Picotto or Tiesto. Ther was no info available as to who was on when, but I would say there wasn't a lot of difference between the two. The only way I thought the DJ had probably changed was that all the music stopped for about 5 to 10 seconds while the next DJ started up.

However, I saw Piccotto at Gatecrasher, Heaven London on 31st May and wasn't very impressed with him there. In fact, that event and Cream had a lot of similarities for me. Not much flow, full of young kids as mashed up as possible etc...

The way everyone talks him up, I was expecting something very special, but was disappointed.

I can only draw the conclusion that this reputation is based on media hype, and past performances, but I think he has to try and show us something more special than mere tune selection.

Perhaps if it had been someone less known, my expectations would have been so high. I'm not saying he's crap, just wondering why people rave on about him? Other than the fact that they 'know' his name or face. If it's just his tunes or remixes, perhaps they would be better left to someone else to play.

see, its ok to go to las dalias if you like that kind of party, but saying 'forget to go to space a sunday and go to las dalias', makes me laugh.. - technoboy

Laugh all you want, but READ the post!

I talked about how good Space was, but suggested that rather than going on Sunday NIGHT, to concentrate on the terrace in the day (and morning).

And as far as Cream v Namaste, my recommendation is to forget about Cream, cos you will after Namaste!

Other than that, FYI- the last point of my review is a figure of speech, designed to encourage people to try out some other things on the island, rather than sticking to the same old trail.

Picotto attracts younger people who liked to get as mashed up as possible. This has been the case for some time now. Picotto plays more like a light techno sound these days too, and the youngsters think of this as "dirty trance" and a sound to get really off your face to. I was at Judgement Sunday at Eden when Picotto was there and that's the sort of atmosphere there was. When I was at Cream for Tiesto and Paul Van Dyk, the crowd was very mixed, I wouldn't say it was too young at all. And I happend to think it was great after the beerboys went away.

jamese75, you should have expected the sort of atmosphere you got if Picotto was going to be in the line-up! I knew what I was getting into at Judgement Sunday but I'd never heard Picotto's new sound in a club yet and wanted to see what it was like and I thought he was alright. The resident DJ who came on after him was better though I thought, he was playing classics like "Born Slippy".

If I had the choice, I would definately have plumped for P v Dyke. I have a lot more respect for him, his music and consistency. But that wasn't to be.

Anyway, it looks like Cream are going to slip away into history soon anyway.

Back