Connecting a PC to a TV

tristanbaldock

Please help, i am semi-literate when it comes to PC's/connections etc. Would like to connect my PC to TV to watch films etc. Bought an S-VHS cable and thought it was as simple as connecting my computer to telly to get a picture, but it appears no!

Can anyone help?

You've come to the right place 8)

You will need to go into the Windows video set-up to configure how it deals with a second monitor (i.e. your TV). Just right-click on any empty space on your desktop and choose "Personalize" (in Vista) or "Properties" (Win XP) and go the display properties tab. There, you should see a picture of 2 monitors and you can click on the 2nd one to set up what output to use.

I've got an old spare laptop hooked into my home theater tuner which serves up both video and music. :D

also s-video doesnt carry audio so you'll need to get an audio lead - easiet way to do is get a scart converter - this has 3 jack leads (red & white for audio) yellow for composite video and an s-video input and a scart side that you whack in the tv

i use s-video and an audio lead - one end of the audio goes into the soundcard and the other end spilts into 2 - one red and and one white jack

Please help, i am semi-literate when it comes to PC's/connections etc. Would like to connect my PC to TV to watch films etc. Bought an S-VHS cable and thought it was as simple as connecting my computer to telly to get a picture, but it appears no!

Can anyone help?

do as morbs says if yr running windoze to configure, but check to see if you have a VGA in port on your TV (sometimes named PC In) - and an extra VGA out port on the computer. The video will run via this connection, and you will have to run the sound out from the TV via phono/digital out to a stereo or amp.

if on a newer Mac, these use DVI (or mini DVI for the macbooks) instead of VGA. Most Tvs ive seen from 23" upwards have support VGA, although some of the 20" Sonys do have them. to configure goto "System Prefrences-Displays" and an option for using additional montitors will appear.

good luck!

Back