collections

the faithless one is really good (nothing like faithless themselves) - that's the cd which put me on to mazzy star and the aaron neville track 'hercules' which is ace

am thinking though it might be a bit too horizontal for what DJJAYCOOL was specifically after - we've moved from house to just general compilations here (sorry, my fault)

I have these four http://www.last.fm/music/Bargrooves was just looking for something else to set a mood. I have been giving the lot a listen. I wanted house but I can appreciate other music, sometime you miss gems being on this side of the pond. thanks all keep them coming:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the Bargrooves stuff a bit bland? I'm sure I had one to review and it was all chart stuff and dull soulful house.

There was a series devoted to cities - well, Paris, London and New York - a disc of mainly electronic music and also some DVD snippets of the cities. I thought it was in conjunction with Time Out but can't see them on Amazon. They were good IIRC.

Isn't the Bargrooves stuff a bit bland? I'm sure I had one to review and it was all chart stuff and dull soulful house.

There was a series devoted to cities - well, Paris, London and New York - a disc of mainly electronic music and also some DVD snippets of the cities. I thought it was in conjunction with Time Out but can't see them on Amazon. They were good IIRC.

Bland for you could be chill to me. I picked them up in Singapore. I have Nu groove, Manhattan, and two others. I like soulful house if I'm chilling it is just like jazz IMO

For a real chill; Vienna DC.(nothing to do with Morbyd's home town)
Funny because part of my early childhood was spent in a town called Vienna just outside of DC :!: :lol:

I second Olly's Hotel Costes recommendation.

sheesh :rolleyes: some soulful house is actually extremely deep!

I mean deep as in stuff going on. Even the most complicated piece of dance music won't touch Miles Davis in terms of all that's going on. Good jazz to me is often the opposite of chill out - way too much happening for it to be ignored while you sip drinks and chat over it.

Like a bit of jazz myself, something like Miles Davis - In A Silent Way. Much more depth to that than there is soulful house imo. ;)

Is this the series you're referring to?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bargrooves-...4VGQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1302783339&sr=8-5

They made the collection I'm talking about, but they put out some pop crap also. If you like jazz check out Fourplay (Bob James, Lee Ritenour, Nathan East, and Harvey Mason) it is four jazz greats who formed a quartet.

I mean deep as in stuff going on. Even the most complicated piece of dance music won't touch Miles Davis in terms of all that's going on. Good jazz to me is often the opposite of chill out - way too much happening for it to be ignored while you sip drinks and chat over it.

How deep is your house mine is soulful and very deep

If ya like jazz, check out Steve Reid/Kieran Hebden (aka Four Tet) - The Exchange Sessions Vol 1 (Vol 2 not so good). Steve Reid (dead now) does the percussion while Hebden puts all sorts of bleeps and loops on top. It's an astonishing modern take on jazz, very psychedelic. :D

Back