Colin Butts (Plastik) says...

Had a chat to Colin one night in Plastik, the old one near the West End. nice guy. very Sad. Harry on the boat and follow up coincided with our introduction to the island so even though it might be considered a bit naff by some it always reminds me of a great time in our lives. RIP

There is always somewhere that people say will be the new Ibiza and it has never happened. Been to Croatia and had a great time, but not liberal enough if you know what I mean.

I am just surprised somewhere else in Spain or Portugal hasn't tried the same 'Ibiza in the late eighties/early nineties' model and tried to do something less commercial and more underground. I can see a need for it over the next few years if Ibiza is continually pushed as a ‘Marbella' type holiday destination as I know a number of people are being slowly turned off.

Always wondered why somewhere like Tenerife never took off as a clubbing destination with 12 months of sunshine and relatively close proximity to the UK. It would be great to have an 'Ibiza' to go to with sunshine at any time of the year.
Portugal would be the ideal place for a 'new Ibiza'. Very relaxed drug laws. Hell, when I went to BOOM Festival over there 15 years ago they had a tent where you could test the quality of your drugs and if they were crap there were stewards on hand to show you were to get better quality kit.

The clubbing scene in Ibiza just evolved from very sparse beginnings, if you try to "model" it or create it in one fell swoop somewhere else it will be a poor mans imitation. Just look at the ready built 'luxury' venues on the island now - Ocean club , Ushuaia , Destino etc - all very swish and capable of having a good time there , but completely soulless in my opinion.

After the 1,2,3 festival, the land next to Mambo is all set to eventually be allowed to be developed so when the time is right there's a good chance that whole area will have more of a Marina feel to it and it will be that which eventually defines and changes San Antonio.
has anything ever happened to the land next to Mambo?

Back