Clubbing review - 27.08.19 - 29-08.19

KarlHodson

I’ve been a long time lurker on these boards for years now, but I’m still brimming with excitement after my trip last week so thought I’d come out of the shadows to share my thoughts!

Resistance - 27/8/19
This was my second trip to Resistance after going during it’s debut season in 2017. It’s great to see how much momentum this party has gained, and to see Privilege in full swing with a real mixed crowd. We arrived at around 12.30 – Technasia was warming up the main room and it had started to fill up pretty quickly by the time Eats Everything started at 1. I’m not a huge Eats Everything fan, and found myself a little bored during the first half of his set (cue the inevitable regular cigarette breaks!). We caught a little bit of Patrice Baumel – it was quite refreshing to hear something more melodic than the bouncy tech house we’d heard since arrival.

After 30 mins or so we made our way back to the main room where Eats Everything had taken it up a gear or two and was now thrashing out some harder techno – ‘Goliath’ by Gregor Thresher was a nice addition, I’ve not heard it for ages! As soon as Joris/Kolsch began their set there was a huge atmosphere shift – there was a real electricity in the room…and deservedly so. For the next 2 hours they played a glorious set full of punchy, upbeat techno that ensured your feet rarely touched the ground.

I’m a massive, massive Adam Beyer fan. I’ve seen him countless times over the years. I was so excited to see him in this colossal venue, but unfortunately he didn’t really do it for me this time. It would have been hard for him to match the energy of Joris and Kolsch, but I felt he just fizzled out a bit. The middle part of his set picked up, but towards the end I started to get a bit bored and was hoping for a big finish – but was a little let down.

All in all it was a good start to the holiday, and the crowd were well behaved with enough room to dance all night whilst still retaining a busy and lively atmosphere.

OVERALL RATING – 7/10

Paradise - 28/8/19
I’ve always had a love hate relationship with DC10. I like the club and the history but the overcrowding ends up killing it for me. Back in October I swore I’d never visit DC10 again after a pretty unbearably busy night (week before closing). The group I was with wanted to go to Paradise based on the lineup – in total agreement as I’m a big fan of Nicole Moudaber and ANNA had impressed at Awakenings so I was looking forward to seeing her in a different environment.

Again – we got there far too early at 12.30am and the place was almost empty. It was a good opportunity to see what the club looks like without being full of bodies though! We stayed in the Main Room for the majority of the night (it was very awkwardly empty, but I preferred the music) until Alan Fitzpatrick’s set on the terrace. I like Alan, but I found his set pretty uninspiring…and I’d noticed by this point that the neon-chav-mafia had descended upon DC10 – as expected.

We made our way back in to the Main Room as ANNA had just started. Massively impressed with her set – she dropped some incredible tracks, finishing with her newest collab ‘Forever Ravers’ with Miss Kittin. The dance floor has half full, allowing for enough room to dance and we stayed right at the front the whole time. ANNA was very engaging with the crowd and is super enigmatic – I can see her going from strength to strength.
We left for a cigarette just as Nicole started – we went back in 10 mins later and she was gone! She’d been replaced by another DJ (couldn’t work out who it was) and although ANNA had left the room in sheer techno bliss, he had reverted back to the bouncy tech-house you’d expect to hear at Paradise. After finding out that Nicole’s mixer had broken, we decided to call it a night.

It was good to be in DC10 without massive over-crowding, but I found the crowd very young and a bit irritating. I can’t help but feel that there were a fair few people in there who’d made it their mission to start a fight that night – lots of attitude!

OVERALL RATING – 5/10

Afterlife - 29/8/19
This was the night I’d been really looking forward to all week. I had one of the best nights of my life at the closing last year and I’d done nothing but rave about it to my group ever since – so I had pretty high expectations.

Arriving on the Theatre dancefloor just as Kevin De Vries was finishing up, the Theatre was already pretty packed. Lots of pushing and shoving, and we seemed to be surrounded by people having full blown conversations – very off-putting and pretty disrespectful to the the people who have come to hear the music, not about your poorly dog.

Bodzin played his standard melodic synth heavy set – getting gradually heavier about 40 mins or so in. I’m a fan of his productions but I’ve always managed to miss seeing him live despite being on the bill for a number of parties and festivals I’ve been to over the years – so it was good to finally tick him off my list.

Absolutely loved Sven’s set – it was a welcome departure from synths and melodies and the usual Afterlife sound. A highlight was hearing ‘West of the Moon’ by Bart Skills – the crowd went pretty crazy when the melody finally drops about half way into the track. If I’m being totally honest I got a little bored towards the last 20 mins or so, it seemed somewhat like Sven had lost his way in trying to bring the pace down to segue nicely into TOU.

From what I’ve read on the boards here, it seems like TOU are pretty marmite. While their sound isn’t my usual choice of techno, I can’t help but love them. Every time I see them I go into a sort of trance like state – getting totally lost in the music in a way no other DJs seem to manage to do for me. It was a glorious 3 hour journey musically – but there were some bloody monsters on the dancefloor! We danced near the lighting booth for the majority of the night – but unfortunately still couldn’t escape some of the messes that were present in Hi. I really love Afterlife but I’d love to see it at a different venue next year….Amnesia or even back to Privilege would be a dream…..let’s see!

I’ve been a long time lurker on these boards for years now, but I’m still brimming with excitement after my trip last week so thought I’d come out of the shadows to share my thoughts!

Resistance - 27/8/19
This was my second trip to Resistance after going during it’s debut season in 2017. It’s great to see how much momentum this party has gained, and to see Privilege in full swing with a real mixed crowd. We arrived at around 12.30 – Technasia was warming up the main room and it had started to fill up pretty quickly by the time Eats Everything started at 1. I’m not a huge Eats Everything fan, and found myself a little bored during the first half of his set (cue the inevitable regular cigarette breaks!). We caught a little bit of Patrice Baumel – it was quite refreshing to hear something more melodic than the bouncy tech house we’d heard since arrival.

After 30 mins or so we made our way back to the main room where Eats Everything had taken it up a gear or two and was now thrashing out some harder techno – ‘Goliath’ by Gregor Thresher was a nice addition, I’ve not heard it for ages! As soon as Joris/Kolsch began their set there was a huge atmosphere shift – there was a real electricity in the room…and deservedly so. For the next 2 hours they played a glorious set full of punchy, upbeat techno that ensured your feet rarely touched the ground.

I’m a massive, massive Adam Beyer fan. I’ve seen him countless times over the years. I was so excited to see him in this colossal venue, but unfortunately he didn’t really do it for me this time. It would have been hard for him to match the energy of Joris and Kolsch, but I felt he just fizzled out a bit. The middle part of his set picked up, but towards the end I started to get a bit bored and was hoping for a big finish – but was a little let down.

All in all it was a good start to the holiday, and the crowd were well behaved with enough room to dance all night whilst still retaining a busy and lively atmosphere.

OVERALL RATING – 7/10

Paradise - 28/8/19
I’ve always had a love hate relationship with DC10. I like the club and the history but the overcrowding ends up killing it for me. Back in October I swore I’d never visit DC10 again after a pretty unbearably busy night (week before closing). The group I was with wanted to go to Paradise based on the lineup – in total agreement as I’m a big fan of Nicole Moudaber and ANNA had impressed at Awakenings so I was looking forward to seeing her in a different environment.

Again – we got there far too early at 12.30am and the place was almost empty. It was a good opportunity to see what the club looks like without being full of bodies though! We stayed in the Main Room for the majority of the night (it was very awkwardly empty, but I preferred the music) until Alan Fitzpatrick’s set on the terrace. I like Alan, but I found his set pretty uninspiring…and I’d noticed by this point that the neon-chav-mafia had descended upon DC10 – as expected.

We made our way back in to the Main Room as ANNA had just started. Massively impressed with her set – she dropped some incredible tracks, finishing with her newest collab ‘Forever Ravers’ with Miss Kittin. The dance floor has half full, allowing for enough room to dance and we stayed right at the front the whole time. ANNA was very engaging with the crowd and is super enigmatic – I can see her going from strength to strength.
We left for a cigarette just as Nicole started – we went back in 10 mins later and she was gone! She’d been replaced by another DJ (couldn’t work out who it was) and although ANNA had left the room in sheer techno bliss, he had reverted back to the bouncy tech-house you’d expect to hear at Paradise. After finding out that Nicole’s mixer had broken, we decided to call it a night.

It was good to be in DC10 without massive over-crowding, but I found the crowd very young and a bit irritating. I can’t help but feel that there were a fair few people in there who’d made it their mission to start a fight that night – lots of attitude!

OVERALL RATING – 5/10

Afterlife - 29/8/19
This was the night I’d been really looking forward to all week. I had one of the best nights of my life at the closing last year and I’d done nothing but rave about it to my group ever since – so I had pretty high expectations.

Arriving on the Theatre dancefloor just as Kevin De Vries was finishing up, the Theatre was already pretty packed. Lots of pushing and shoving, and we seemed to be surrounded by people having full blown conversations – very off-putting and pretty disrespectful to the the people who have come to hear the music, not about your poorly dog.

Bodzin played his standard melodic synth heavy set – getting gradually heavier about 40 mins or so in. I’m a fan of his productions but I’ve always managed to miss seeing him live despite being on the bill for a number of parties and festivals I’ve been to over the years – so it was good to finally tick him off my list.

Absolutely loved Sven’s set – it was a welcome departure from synths and melodies and the usual Afterlife sound. A highlight was hearing ‘West of the Moon’ by Bart Skills – the crowd went pretty crazy when the melody finally drops about half way into the track. If I’m being totally honest I got a little bored towards the last 20 mins or so, it seemed somewhat like Sven had lost his way in trying to bring the pace down to segue nicely into TOU.

From what I’ve read on the boards here, it seems like TOU are pretty marmite. While their sound isn’t my usual choice of techno, I can’t help but love them. Every time I see them I go into a sort of trance like state – getting totally lost in the music in a way no other DJs seem to manage to do for me. It was a glorious 3 hour journey musically – but there were some bloody monsters on the dancefloor! We danced near the lighting booth for the majority of the night – but unfortunately still couldn’t escape some of the messes that were present in Hi. I really love Afterlife but I’d love to see it at a different venue next year….Amnesia or even back to Privilege would be a dream…..let’s see!
Fair honest review,i dont like review when people say everything was perfect 10/10
:rolleyes:
Afterlife closing 18 was Ok 5/10...but after expériencing 2 parties with opening 18 ,i thought im done with this party...

Back