Clubbing in London's west end

Triple S

For anyone in the london area that frequents clubs in the west end?

My Best buddy is over visiting me this weekend in London and even though I've been here nearly a year now I can't say I've really done the west end club thing as recently I have been more of a "quiet pint down the pub person" boring I know!

But I realy want to take him somewhere good, not too expensive but not a dump either, not too touristy but then not some underground place that you need to be "in the know" Preferably house/ dance music not R&B and certainly not cheese on toast! OK I knwo I'm asking a lot here but have been on the view london website and came up with a few so if anyone has been here or can recommend anywhere.

viewlondon website recommends

The Enclave
Metra Bar & Club
Mo*vida
The Pigalle Club
The Social
The Embassy

Recomendations please, thanks in advance!

the west end is virtually a house-free zone - so don't bother

The Social and The Player do some great nights, but they are more bars

the west end died some years ago, I'm afraid...

actually I take that back - I forgot about Heaven and I think Bar Rhumba on shaftesbury Ave recently put house back on its menu - they're both accessible without being cheesy (check their sites tho)

I quite liked Heaven. I'd recommend that if there's a good night on.

Forget the Embassy. I think even the footballers have moved on.

After experiencing Embassy, Chinawhites and Tramp, I learned to avoid the area at all costs.
(although I did have a fun time at Tramp, but it was the company and the alcohol, not the venue and music)

OK so house music has moved house then! OK music aside can anyone recommend a good place that reasonably cheap and good atmosphere.

I checked out Heavens website and it is a gay club so not really my thing

I checked out Heavens website and it is a gay club so not really my thing
Yes, but no. I went for a CircoLoco party there and I'm not sure I saw a single gay man.

Depends on the event... but if gay clubs bother you then perhaps better somewhere different. (not being accusatory, just saying...)

Well im an easy bloke to be pleased so guess my idea of a half decent night might not be the same as yours. Judging by that list from viewlondon, their all gonna be quite pricey (again what I consider expensive may be okay with you).

I agree with what ppl have said on here, west end is pants for house night outs it's all pop/commerical dance and R&B etc.

Im not that into the big rave scene but here's what I can reccomend.

Funkinyou: It's normally the first saturday of every month at KOKO (Camden) - really good funky house night (if thats your thing) but the production and show is one of the best i've seen in the UK (not saying much but it looks similar to what i've seen on ibiza youtube clips).. Ahhh just looked it up - seems this month their hosting at the den & centro (formally The End) so I can't comment on that place but the vibe should be friendly.

A good area to check out is Vauxhall theirs a stretch of road (Albert Embankment) about 5mins walk from the station which has quite a few clubs that are open till 6 (and some that do after parties) but i've only been to 'AREA' around there and I wasn't that impressed by it - was a bit of a dive! Wish we'd gone to 'fire' next door, seemed to have a better crowd of ppl when we walked past (and thats open till 6 as well)

Where else in the city... ummm you've got Scala in Kings cross but you'd have to check what their playing on the night but a friend went recently and said it was banging and she's a right lil party girl so knows her stuff.. But again, i've been told it can be a bit 'moody' in there...

See im not really loaded and hang around with some 'rough types' so we do go to some not so glam places but as long as the music's pumping then we're easily pleased. The places i've mentioned should be fine, and i've never had any problems..

The other place that springs to mind is more of a bar/club in shoreditch - Hoxton Pony.. Pricey but nice atmosphere/wide variety of music (check whats playing on the night) LOTS of women ;) and killer cocktails... Only downside is the size, it is a bit on the small side so don't expect to be on a dancefloor with hundreds.. it's more like dozens!

Im sure their will be plenty of others on here that will offer some much better places, thought i'd just give u a few 'cheaper but okay options'.. Got any questions let me know.

Guess the rule of thumb would be if you want a decent night out in London, stay away from the touristy areas (Storm in Leicester sq anyone? :!: :lol:)

Shoreditch has some decent venues, eventhough its not technically west end!
Bungalow 8 has always pleasantly suprised me!

so many happy memories of heaven, remember bunking off school/college every thursday each month for the best part of a year, getting the national express from liverpool to london, doing bedrock and then straight back on friday.

it was sasha and diggers for a lady one month, next month tenaglia for the same.

good times!

Funkinyou: It's normally the first saturday of every month at KOKO (Camden) - really good funky house night

HAHAHAHA

it gets advertised every 5 mins on passion fm

"FUNKINYOU - THIS SATURDAYYYYYY. AT KOKO. ONLY THE BESSSSST IN UPFRONT FUNKEEEEE 'OUSE N ELECTROOOOO. SPESHAL SET FROM THE LEGENDARY PEAZZZZZY AND BLOCKKKKKKKOOOOOOOO. LIVE PA FROM FLOELLA BENJAMIN AND TONY HART. DO NOT MISS. I REPEAT, DO NOTTTTTT MISSSSS. DRESS TO IMPRESS. SMART JEANS AND TRAINERS ALLOWED. £25 BEFORE 10. LADIES FREE IF YOU SUCK THE DOORMAN OFF"

HAHAHAHA

it gets advertised every 5 mins on passion fm

"FUNKINYOU - THIS SATURDAYYYYYY. AT KOKO. ONLY THE BESSSSST IN UPFRONT FUNKEEEEE 'OUSE N ELECTROOOOO. SPESHAL SET FROM THE LEGENDARY PEAZZZZZY AND BLOCKKKKKKKOOOOOOOO. LIVE PA FROM FLOELLA BENJAMIN AND TONY HART. DO NOT MISS. I REPEAT, DO NOTTTTTT MISSSSS. DRESS TO IMPRESS. SMART JEANS AND TRAINERS ALLOWED. £25 BEFORE 10. LADIES FREE IF YOU SUCK THE DOORMAN OFF"

Thats the one! A friend of mine is mates with DJ Arkoss so he got us 'sorted out' Brilliant night in my book but then as mentioned, im easily pleased and funky house is my fav disco music.

I gay mate of mine recently went to Heaven and he's a lot harder to please (no innuendo's pls!). Can't comment on prices (cos he's loaded so nothings expensive to him) but he LOVES this place, not because of the scene (although he says it's wild) but for the music.

West End Clubs

Seeing as you specifically asked after clubs in the west end, I would recommend the following -

Crystal
Studio Valbonne
Vendome
Movida

However, please note that these clubs are WAY overpriced with a spend of £120 per bottle of vodka. They are also quite pretentious so depends what you are into really... You might want to consider getting a table if there is a few of you. Have a look at sintillate.com who host some of the west end's big nights. The music they play is mixed so there will be a bit of everything, commercial house and also R'n'B.

However, if you wanted something a bit more urban, try East London, Shoreditch or Hoxton Square is good fun! Good luck!

Personally I'd avoid Movida, Studio Valbonne, 24 etc. They're jestfully known as 'Jew-clubbing' here in this very Jewish part of the world as a result of the insane costs. Depending on where you go it can be upwards of £500 minimum spend for a table, or if you don't get a table it can be £20 entry + £100+ for a magnum of Belvedere or like £10 for a beer. The music is average and oftentimes the crowd is getting on a bit.

However, if you insisit on clubbing in the West End then I spose there isn't much else. Checkout www.dontstayin.com though and have a look on the calendar for London and select the genres you're interested in. Depending on what your into Matter / Fabric + Scala are all popular and while they tend to cater for Dubstep / DnB you get other stuff on there sometimes as well. None of them are West End though..

Back