Clubbing in cancun

Discoallman

next week I go to cancun for 2 weeks with the Mrs. Just looking for any tips and info on the area has anyone been?

Especially clubbing where's good?
Is it Just all inclusive type packages in clubs?

Thanks in advance

Hey Discoallman...I went to Cancun for Labor Day Weekend two years ago and am set to go back at the end of June for a friend's wedding. So from what I gathered and what we did on our last trip, it's best to book your club tickets through a tour operator at your hotel. For the most part, the clubs there have one set night where everyone goes so all the tour operators know that the promoters send everyone to City Nightclub on Friday, for example. You pay a reasonable flat fee ($60 USD on a holiday weekend) for taxi transportation to the club and some sort of bottle service/open bar arrangement (and it's loose because tipping will always get you more booze/bottles from your server).

City Nightclub is probably the coolest experience - it's a massive club (in comparison to clubs in the US, Canada, Mexico anyway). We went to Palazzo, too, and that was pretty fun. Was very underwhelmed by the other ones we went to.

I'm pretty sure they do gimmicky "club crawls" where you buy a ticket and visit multiple places. That could be fun, too, because you are with a group. If you're more serious about going and enjoying music, going straight to one of the other two aforementioned clubs might be better.

Cheers already sorted my currency and went for dollars. Yeah I heard the city is good but some folk saying if you don't tip they just point blank won't serve you haha. I suppose money talks the other side of the Atlantic when it comes to tipping

Yes, tipping isn't really considered optional over here. But there are certain times when you know it'll benefit you in a really crowded setting to slip your guy or gal a few extra bucks. We did the pre-pay deal for bottle service at City that I mentioned before and slipped our server (who was very outgoing, engaging and attentive) a $20 when he came to refresh our drinks (there were about eight of us together so only a few bucks a piece). He showed up 10 minutes later with two brand new bottles and said, "Sir, I'm so sorry that you never received your first bottle, here are two that are on the house." Then he kept showing up with some sort of tequila/margarita type thing that we kept taking shots of. Then they gave us wrist bands for an open bar after. As you can imagine we got really, really messed up.

At another Cancun bar, we got two beers and tipped the server the standard $1/round and he came over with his hand out and said "You guys are going to take care of me at some point, right?" No wonder the rest of the bar was empty.

In Cancun it's definitely expected there'll be some sort of tip - but in Vegas, for example, before you even have to sit down at a table you have to sign a piece of paper with a "service charge" on it, followed by some sort of handshake agreement with the host/hostess before you get served. Even as Americans we think it's unbelievably stupid, so I can't imagine how people from elsewhere feel forking over a pretty penny.

I wouldn't tip anyone who asked I would simply just leave. Any tips on what bars and clubs are best then to avoid this?

Is it possible to do out and just pay a few $'s a drink on bars/mini clubs or Is it all open bar type package orientated?

Am staying on the riu cancun if that helps

Yes he was properly not given another tip. I think it has more to do with how busy the club is. Everywhere we went (it was Labor Day Weekend here in the states so lots of people on vacation) was completely packed, but then after the holiday it got significant less crowded everywhere. Plus didn't help that the tequila and Dos Equis started flowing at 9am from the pool bar so he probably just thought he could intimidate a few drunk Americans into giving him more money.

Heard good things about the Riu Cancun - pretty lively pool scene and pretty close to all the club zone from what I remember.

Last edited:
Yeah I've heard the same. Am sure the clubs won't compare the Ibiza but looking forward to indulging in the American culture

Can you remember any of the dress codes in the clubs? Can you wear vests? Am guessing vip table service will be t-shirt/shirt dress code

No dress codes to speak of. I wouldn't wear sandals but we went out every night in t-shirts, shorts and sneakers. I'm pretty sure one of my friends wore a tank top out to one of the nights.

what type of music do you like mate? Been 4 times to cancun and it seems everywhere has the same terrible compilation on repeat for hours! The clubs can be a good laugh but everywhere plays Very commercial dance / pop tracks.

You definitely will. At least your close to Tulum if you want to get away from the Lively Pool Scene that the kids love down in cancun.ok if your perving on your own but with the missus your only asking for trouble. .

Last edited:
Not a club but there's a fantastic little place on the hotel strip (opposite Senor Frogs) called the The Surfin' Burrito. It's really small - only got 3 tables but it's open 24 hours and the food is great. Try the fresh guacamole and chips. They also do litre drinks - the blended strawberry margarita is amazing, and only a fiver with about 8 shots of tequila in!

You can always see what is going on in Playa Del Carmen as well which is not all that far from Cancun. Sometimes they do "On the Road to BPM" events down there, especially at Blue Parrot. Have gotten the likes of Loco Dice, Carola, Martinez Bros. May be a little less likely in the summer but you never know.

You can always see what is going on in Playa Del Carmen as well which is not all that far from Cancun. Sometimes they do "On the Road to BPM" events down there, especially at Blue Parrot. Have gotten the likes of Loco Dice, Carola, Martinez Bros. May be a little less likely in the summer but you never know.
Would suite me this but my gf maybe not she tells me to grow up when I suggest events like this. Some of the attractions are shit hot expensive $100 to swim with a dolphin :/ may get dragged into that haha

Trance house techno.

Yeah I wasn't expecting anything other than that. RnB and edm are my hates of the music world so I may need ear plugs

Yeah there is really no scene down there to speak of. Just a couple of medium to big sized clubs who play EDM, Hip Hop, etc.

Really enjoyed my holiday in cancun and will be returning next year. Loved coco bongo show but not a fan of mandala club basically a human sardine can unbearable. I how ever thought mandala beach club looks good as its open air but never got the chance to get around so its on the list next year. The all inc did annoy me at times as I just wanted to get in a normal bar and have a drink before I decide to move on and found this hard to do in cancun. Is puerto del carmen any good if anyones been?

Back