Club reviews 26 July - 9 August

macdonsj

Just back from The White Island this weekend so heres the reviews (food & bars & general reviews in other posts)

Sunday 27 July - We Love Sundays... @ Space (45€)

Got there at roughly 9pm (I am diabetic which rules out the whole 22 hour party!). Electronic sign outside apologised for something regarding Alex Neri (He couldn't make it - i assume that Smokin Jo & Steve Lawler got extra hour each).

Steve Lawler was on the terrace when we went in and it was rocking - been busier but it was a healthy crowd which swelled as the night wore on. Re: the debate on another post about Lawler being too hard for the terrace - bollocks! - his set was pure house music, very little driving tribal stuff from him and it was tremendous. (In musical terms for contrast see the Pure Pacha review)

Special mentions go to the 2 English guys that gave me & g-c some champers, one of the Shy Brothers (Scottish promoter/dj) and a couple of good Scottish djs and Dracul from this board.

Wednesday 30th July - Subliminal Sessions @ Pacha (47€)

Got the tickets at Mambo which, due to a tie in with Pacha, meant a free bus....which was full...so we got taxi money!

Got there about 2:45 and it was rammed as usual. Robbie Rivera was on and for a guy which likes it tribal it was heaven - very very good dj. Erick Morillo was next, having been disappointed in him recently, he was much better...tho we didn't stay love into his set.

WARNING - Jack Daniels & Mixer ---- €15 - nasty price!

Friday 1st August - Pure Pacha & Renaissance @ Pacha (47€)

Got here for about 1:45 and had a quick drink before Steve Lawler. I assume Murk we just finishing their set.

Steves set here was much darker and very tribal indeed compared to his Space set on Sunday. I like the tribal sound so i was loving this night. 3 hours of top tunes inc Plastic Dreams and Yeke Yeke. It took a while to get going but it ended up just as busy as the Subliminal night.

Pete Tong was closing and he was sticking to some of this years big choons...P Diddy & E-Samba come to mind. As with Morillo we didn't stay too long into his set.

Sunday 3rd August - Defected In The House @ El Divino (25€)

Given that we went to Pure Pacha on friday, we didn't go to g-c's choice of Hed Kandi so Defected it was on the sunday (g-c loves El Divinos terrace!)

A reall nice club and a cracking night. Sandy Rivera was really rocking the club with some classy house music. As with the other clubs...have seen it busier but still a healthy number in there.

Tuesday 5th August - Pocholo pts A Pescar @ Amnesia (15€) & Superfreak @ Underground (free!)

I wanted to see Chus & Ceballos do Iberican Sound @ Amnesia but none of the ticket sellers seemed to know. The Mambo guy confirmed it but i think he just wanted tickets sold! Went anyway and the terrace was a ghost ship....a female dj was on. We went to the main room and i assume it was the residents. Pocholo the semi-celebrity's night was in here and the locals were in force. A slow builders numbers wise it eventually got a good crowd.

The residents were brilliant...would recommend this night just for the cheapness of it (15€) and the top local djs and the bizarre Pocholo (who ended up throwing t-shirts and cds into the crowd). The ice cannon smoke machine was very welcome in the blistering heat!

After a few hours we hopped in a taxi and headed to Underground for Superfreak. I confess i dunno who the guest dj was but soon after we arrived Mr C came on and was playing some brilliant stuff with some live percussion too! Tremendous.

Wish we'd went more to Underground cos its a smart little venue and free as well!

macdonsj said:
Sunday 3rd August - Defected In The House @ El Divino (25€)

Given that we went to Pure Pacha on friday, we didn't go to g-c's choice of Hed Kandi so Defected it was on the sunday (g-c loves El Divinos terrace!)

A reall nice club and a cracking night. Sandy Rivera was really rocking the club with some classy house music. As with the other clubs...have seen it busier but still a healthy number in there.

We were there - what a quality night !!

Much, much better than Space earlier ;)

macdonsj said:

Steve Lawler was on the terrace when we went in and it was rocking - been busier but it was a healthy crowd which swelled as the night wore on. Re: the debate on another post about Lawler being too hard for the terrace - bollocks! - his set was pure house music, very little driving tribal stuff from him and it was tremendous. (In musical terms for contrast see the Pure Pacha review)

dammm i didn´t see ya!

:cry:

Robo said:
macdonsj said:

dammm i didn´t see ya!

:cry:

If we had a pic of ya, we might be able to introduce ourselves :confused:

macdonsj said:
Sunday 27 July - We Love Sundays... @ Space

Wednesday 30th July - Subliminal Sessions @ Pacha

I was there -- too bad we missed each other!! Sunday's at Space with Steve Lawler was my favorite party. The Subliminal party was good as well; the party on the 23rd with Josh Wink & Erick was top notch.

volcano3.jpg

Back