classic albums: Screamadelica

went and seen the play the ablum live in brixton london... was magic... hopefully see them at t in the park in scotland if they dont clash with blondie or plup

Some of my friends I met at sixth form are having a 20 year reunion later this year, I doubt there will be much floppy pudding bowl hair (god in most cases has been unkind), but some of the old DMs and band tshirts over jumpers may make an appearance.

cud? northside? senseless things? curve? the frank & walters? gene? mega city four?

where are they all now? [almost certainly working in the city..]

A couple of my die hard Indie friends from school still have a band together - one was lucky and kept his floppy hair, the other not so.....

One of the chicks from Lush works in music pr. I've had contact with her a few times with my Music Fix dealings. The drummer from Menswear is on 6 Music as a music journalist. Clint Mansell, the film score composer, was in PWEI.

Er, is this interesting? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
More interesting facts....Louise Wener from Sleeper is now a writer with about seven books published.

MTV are at Amnesia this year, :D one of the line up
PRIMAL SCREAM will be performing their legendary album SCREAMADELICA, originally produced in 1991 by DJ Andrew Weatherall. Their set, which will close the festivities on 2nd September @ Amnesia will be full of club classics from the Screamdelica album

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the DVD. Will be reviewing shortly, but Screamadelica (despite containing some of the best material they've put on record) doesn't work as well live as the rock stuff that is included separately. Don't Fight It, Feel It doesn't benefit from having guitar stuck all over it, for example... Also got the Classic Albums doc on DVD - 30 mins extra footage over the broadcast version. :D I'm currently running a comp over at The Music Fix for a copy of both DVDs if anyone fancies trying to win them.

does it include that album where they basically became a rolling stones tribute band?

basically without weatherall they were nothing and the recent hype over their comeback gigs is ridiculous

basically without weatherall they were nothing

Nooooo.

Screamadelica (great album) was all about Weatherall and Patterson - no doubt about that.

...but for die hard Scream fans - this album was far too 'nice' and Gillespe had lost his lairy side.

does it include that album where they basically became a rolling stones tribute band?

basically without weatherall they were nothing and the recent hype over their comeback gigs is ridiculous

They do work best with other people; Vanishing Point and XTRMNTR are also fantastic albums.

I do also quite like Evil Heat and Give Out But Don't Give Up. Last two albums were pony, though.

Live they're pretty good (if cliched), providing they stick to the rockier/ rocky-electro stuff.

I kinda liked swastika eyes when it came out but on repeat listens there's no real depth to it at all - it's totally inconsequential - faux-aggressive "dance" music for white americans who can't handle "electronica" without a rock aesthetic - no doubt the soundtrack to some kung fu video game. For a while PS were making stacks of tunes like that and really there was nothing to differentiate them from say the crystal method (who were trully horrendous) - the only PS track post screamdelica I thought touched on greatness was the remix of Uptown 2 years back and no prizes for guessing who remixed that

I kinda liked swastika eyes when it came out but on repeat listens there's no real depth to it at all - it's totally inconsequential - faux-aggressive "dance" music for white americans who can't handle "electronica" without a rock aesthetic - no doubt the soundtrack to some kung fu video game. For a while PS were making stacks of tunes like that and really there was nothing to differentiate them from say the crystal method (who were trully horrendous) - the only PS track post screamdelica I thought touched on greatness was the remix of Uptown 2 years back and no prizes for guessing who remixed that

XTRMNTR (from which Swastika Eyes comes) is arguably Kevin Shields' album, whose aim seemed to be to push at the limits of sound. Accelerator is an AMAZING white noise rock track, then you got his mix of If They Move, Kill Em (really loud jazz that just gets louder and louder and louder) and Shoot Speed Kill Light with that great Bernie Sumner guitar. It's a brilliant record, but a lot of it is down to the collaborators.

Back