classic albums: Screamadelica

Johnny Vodka

Anyone see this on BBC4? My dad of all people informed me it was on, he being a very late convert to the Scream.

Hopefully get the chance to watch it tonight.

I saw that one. I was a bit disappointed that most of the performances seemed to be TOTP mimes, but it did spark me into digging out some old albums/compilations after. Quite scary to think all that was 20 years ago. :eek:

everybody used to mime on TOTP - that's what lent it its charm

apart from the Orb of course, who just sat down and played chess for 3 minutes :D

everybody used to mime on TOTP - that's what lent it its charm

apart from the Orb of course, who just sat down and played chess for 3 minutes :D

Ian Brown swing the mic around on the air while miming!

And Pan's People never sang live!:lol:

the Primal scream programme was really good, whereas the 1991 thing after started off pretty well then seemed to run out of steam

Plus it was weird having Nirvana/REM randomly dropped into a programme that was mainly baggy with some ravey stuff.

no it wasn't. The charts were extremely diverse around that time - evenly split between rave, indie and pop and the programme (and my old TDK tapes :oops: ) reflected that

all that music, even the nonsense like neds atomic dustbin, had a big fanbase in those days. You saw that reflected on the tshirts in our sixth form canteen, you had all the different yoof tribes scattered around in different corners all eyeing each other suspiciously :lol:

*REM - is there who doesn't feel suicidal after 3mins of their music?

I remember the charts back then, Olly. ;)

I thought it was going to be British indie/baggy/dance stuff, so was surprised when the two yank bands were dropped on the end. Not that it matters anyway.

I used to like Nirvana as a moping teen, but I can't say they get much of an airing now. I thought In Utero was their best album.

90% of all that post91 indie was tosh - socially stunted young men making a racket in their boarding school common rooms

occasionally some real timeless gems emerged, usually featuring the production skills of andrew weatherall or the voice of jarvis cocker

but for every saint etienne there were usually 10 sleepers

...were good at the time, but does anyone still listen to them? ;) Plus it was weird having Nirvana/REM randomly dropped into a programme that was mainly baggy with some ravey stuff.

A very valid question.

No I don't listen to them and don't know anyone who does. The quiet bit/loud bit / shouty bit got a bit boring.

Unplugged is immense i'll give em that.

Ugh. I liked Sleeper at the time. :oops: Most of Britpop was rubbish in retrospect. Personally, I think even Pulp went downhill after His 'n' Hers - not so keen on their bigger, more anthemic productions (i.e. the ones everybody else seems to love :lol:).

I'm going to have to disagree with the Agent :D

I can't stand Stipe and that horrible nasal whine

I love moody, melancholic, dark music but not tracks which sap your will to live

when we had the radiohead thread on here a while back, robder said pretty much the same thing about radiohead but I find myself emotionally engaged when Yorke is singing - with REM it feels more like a rock band telling me to emotionally engage. It's busker music to my ears.

Now Cocker, Neil Tennant and Morrissey - they were all so sharp and said so much about our lives - but they're all getting on now - are there are any young lyricists coming through with anything to say anymore? Am genuinely curious.

Back