city break ideas

Big Al

Hi,

I've taken my wife to London, Edinburgh and Amsterdam for a birthday wkd away these last three years and was considering Berlin this year. We'll be heading out in January and will be interested in local culture, food and drinks, maybe a club but more bar orientated night life. Ideally within a 2 hour flight from East Mids/Brum or London.

Reading the Berlin thread on here, it's very club entry focussed - any other tips/advice/guidance on the city? Or, any other suggestions on where to try?

Cheers,

Alan

Barcelona is always fun, and quite cheap this time of year

We went this time last year and it was still fairly lively at night, good bars along the beach front, La Terraza is a great little club too, think they close for the winter season though

I would second your views on Barcelona, a very gothic-style city with breathtaking cathedrals and buildings, plus great shopping and restaurants along Las Ramblas. They've got an amazing food market there too, with every colour of fruit and vegetable imaginable, a real visual attack on the senses!

I'd recommend Dublin too, some of the best bars and pubs you'll ever drink in, plus great atmosphere and very picture-esque.
Sadly never been to Berlin though!

Berlin's great for a piss-up/clubbing trip but always go to Munich if I'm away with my girlfriend. Definitely worth a look.

Belgium - brussels, bruge, Antwerp. History, beer and beautiful.

Lyon - architecture, food capital of France

Copenhagen - fit people, Christiania - bifters, great city

Hamburg - not been yet ask me in Feb, boys tour..!

I'm in the same boat mate been glued to expedia most of the evening having a look. Its down to Madrid, Valencia, or San Sebastian....not looking for any clubbing just nice weather, a bit of culture a and some nice food.

If we hadn't been so many times already we'd be off to Barcelona or Ibiza - for a quiet one of course ;-) faster than you can say jack Sprat..

Reading the Berlin thread on here, it's very club entry focussed - any other tips/advice/guidance on the city?

There is loads to do in Berlin aside from clubbing, just when I've been to Berlin it has always been to specifically go clubbing or record shopping - hence the other thread.

Lots of history there of course so lots of sights to see and lots of cool/quirky bars and restaurants as well. Plus it is really good value...I wouldn't rule it out

Also bilbao. Great place. Mates just back from San Sebastian and loved it. Same with both places, pinchos culture - stacks of creative tapas at the bar (every bar) help yourself and pay at the end - mega!

really appreciate all the ideas people - thanks, will take a look at them all (and won't rule out Berlin)!

I went in feb with the family so no clubbing :-(
Try a tapas tour, a sandemans free tour (i tipped 20 euros at the end), there is a market on sunday El Rastro, lots going on around Plaza Major and there is a food hall next door called Mercado de San Miguel. I downed a few here on all three nights.you can walk to most places too and airport taxi to centre is very reasonable. I used a lonely planet mini guide which i got from amazon.
I'll check with my daughter as she did a diary of our visit for other stuff.

I'd take barcelona over berlin with a mrs. Amsterdam is my favourite though. Dont forget the english countryside / coast is pretty stunning...

Gonna go for Barcelona - any advice on best areas? Hearing different views on El Raval - as bad as some say? Thanks

Cervezeria Catalana - great place to eat, also la boqueria in the market just off la rambla...go either early or late to have more chance of getting a spot.

Ive generally stayed in and around avenida diagonal most times ive been - in the Eixample region would be a good spot - walkable to Segrada Familia etc.

http://www.drymartiniorg.com/

This is a decent bar to check out in that area, cool kind of speakeasy type place.

Back