Changing money

CAG

Hi everyone,

I am flying out to Ibiza on Saturday 22nd Aug :) and was wondering what the exchange rate is like there just now? The exchange rate in the UK is pretty poor at the moment so was thinking about taking pounds with me and just changing them when I got there?

Thanks in advance!

I was wondering the same thing. Pretty sure it will be very similar? I was gonna just take my bank card and withdraw money but when your drunk/peaking, that could be disastrous. :D

I'm getting mine from here: www.fairfx.com quite good rates and better than the post office.

I was gonna just take my bank card and withdraw money but when your drunk/peaking, that could be disastrous. :D
THIS is what you should do.

Just had this discussion in another thread where some people had thousands of euros stolen from their villa.

Take your cards, pay for stores and restaurants with them directly, and take out just the cash you need from bank machines every couple days. It's 2009 ffs.

If you're worried about having your cards with you when you're smashed, leave them in a good hiding place in the hotel. :idea:

THIS is what you should do.

Just had this discussion in another thread where some people had thousands of euros stolen from their villa.

Take your cards, pay for stores and restaurants with them directly, and take out just the cash you need from bank machines every couple days. It's 2009 ffs.

If you're worried about having your cards with you when you're smashed, leave them in a good hiding place in the hotel. :idea:

Do you get charged by your bank? I'm with Abbey, who are now Santander, so surely they won't charge you?

is there not a risk though that an atm might retain your card for whatever reason or if its lost etc....then your knackered. Weigh this up against the risk of having your cash stolen is a difficult one, I take cash and a card as a back up but cant seem to get out of the habit of taking a load of cash with me.

is there not a risk though that an atm might retain your card for whatever reason or if its lost etc....then your knackered. Weigh this up against the risk of having your cash stolen is a difficult one, I take cash and a card as a back up but cant seem to get out of the habit of taking a load of cash with me.

I'm the same. Travellers cheques are a pain in the arse if you are only taking about £600. Surely the easiest thing, and safest thing to do, is just get a safety deposit box in your room and stick the money in there? Even the Piscis has these. :D

I've been known to step off the plane with no cash on me but enough rubles to catch a taxi home from the airport upon my return.

I've never had a machine keep my card in 15 years of international travel. But I've usually got several cards (debit and credit) on me so I suppose there's back-up should that ever happen.

I usually keep a card or two hidden in the hotel room too, just in case something happens to my wallet.

My bank charges me 3 euros per withdrawal. Not a bad price to pay for the convenience.

Abbey don;t charge you at all.limit is like most 300 euro;s aday.which is plenty.like said hide your card in room.loads of good places you just have to look.never take it out with you.but once you have loads of cash knocking about.get a safe.me i have a good hiding place in my hotel only a mouse could get it.

cash is find but do you really fancy carry say 2 grand with you before you get there.chances are you would get it nicked in the uk than ibiza.thieves know your going to carry cash with you at airport.

its up to you.everyone has there own ways of taking money over with them,me now i take a bit over left over from other hols.and use my nationwide card.which you get abetter rate.plus a visa card,

just check atm that its ok.ie nothing stuck to it.or cling film in slot.only way its gonna eat it up.is if you have forgot your pin number.

I was taking out some cash and left my card poking out of the machine by accident as i was in a rush. by the time i had got back in my car and realised i didnt have my debit card i got out just in time to see the card get swallowed by the atm - obviously for security reasons. I was up shizzle creek for the best part of a week until a new card arrived. I can imagine the whole process of sorting that out is even more of a headache overseas, hence i prefer to use my card as a back up when on holiday.

At the time this was the only account with any beer tokens in it. If it happened on holiday im sure i could transfer funds by internet transfer but id much rather be sat on a beach and not waiting 3-5 days for the money to transfer.

Back