Cars and Kids

Buckley

So...all being well there will be a mini Buckley in January next year. The missus has this morning passed her theory test with a view to having her license soon.l

So Spotlight parents, what sort of small car do you recommend I buy her? She likes the Fiat 500 but opinions seem split on 2-doors being manageable with a kid? She's said for 4 doors a Corsa would be ok, but my experience of Vauxhalls is that they are horrible to drive.

Opinions please?

I love my little Peugeot 107.

Japanese engineered, Czech built (Peugeot-Toyota JV). Very sturdy so far. Not a single problem in 3.5 years. It's extremely fuel efficient too.

There's a 4 door model so perfect to fit your little one in the back seat. Also, surprisingly roomy in front for a small car.

I love my little Peugeot 107.

Japanese engineered, Czech built (Peugeot-Toyota JV). Very sturdy so far. Not a single problem in 3.5 years. It's extremely fuel efficient too.

There's a 4 door model so perfect to fit your little one in the back seat. Also, surprisingly roomy in front for a small car.

I remember quite liking the Peugeots I've driven too - good call

I got a 107 as well and its a little beaut and brilliant on petrol but i do recommend the 4 door version obviously 8)

I got a 107 as well and its a little beaut and brilliant on petrol
How far are you usually going on a full tank?

I'm on track for my best result ever this month. Already up to 350km and not yet down to half a tank on the meter. I think I might break 550km for the first time. Not bad with the traffic in this town!

From experience, you defo need a 4 door! Trying to get baba in & out of their car seat on a two door is a real mission, plus a killer for your lady's back - wich will already have taken a hammering from pregnancy & birth! I have an Audi A3 - petrol is amazing. 450miles on a tank - distance driving. Town driving obviously a bit
more. Had a 2 door nissan almera before, & find the audi is cheaper to run. Only problem is now that my girl is nearly two, she's getting too long to fit in the back in her seat without the front passenger sitting with legs up against the dash.....good luck with it all! What an awesome thing to look forward to!

You definately need four doors mate and a decent boot.

It's amazing how much room a supermaket shop and a buggy takes up!

My missus has a Merc B class which she loves, but the lease ends next month so it will be replaced very shortly with probably a Renault Scenic, Volkswagen Golf or Volkswagen Polo

(PS: make sure the cars have ISOFIX anchor points unless you want to wrestle with a seatbelt everytime you put the nipper in the back of the car.)

You definately need four doors mate and a decent boot.

It's amazing how much room a supermaket shop and a buggy takes up!

My missus has a Merc B class which she loves, but the lease ends next month so it will be replaced very shortly with probably a Renault Scenic, Volkswagen Golf or Volkswagen Polo

(PS: make sure the cars have ISOFIX anchor points unless you want to wrestle with a seatbelt everytime you put the nipper in the back of the car.)

Will have a look at those Mark, thanks.

ISOFIX? New to me but a valuable hint methinks8)

Will have a look at those Mark, thanks.

ISOFIX? New to me but a valuable hint methinks8)

:lol: No worries mate, the jargon of parenthood eh?

Most cars made in the last few years have ISOFIX, it just means you can click the child seat into place rather than have to fanny on with a seat belt.

It's one of those things hidden away on cars that until you look for it you never knew existed!

:lol: No worries mate, the jargon of parenthood eh?

Most cars made in the last few years have ISOFIX, it just means you can click the child seat into place rather than have to fanny on with a seat belt.

It's one of those things hidden away on cars that until you look for it you never knew existed!

Would my 07 A4 have them I wonder?

How far are you usually going on a full tank?

I'm on track for my best result ever this month. Already up to 350km and not yet down to half a tank on the meter. I think I might break 550km for the first time. Not bad with the traffic in this town!

I am pants with miles and how much etc etc, but i dont do many miles to and throw work either, i reckon i spend 20 a week, if that tbh.

Would my 07 A4 have them I wonder?

Probably, to find out just stick your hand down the back of the rear seats (the gap between the seat and the back rest) and you should find a pair of metal "loops". The ISOFIX car seats click onto these and lock tight.

I just had another little one on July 11th a baby girl Jasmine. The four door is the way to go. If you have to lift seats to get to the back with all the kit you have with babies it is a pain is the rear. The four door is the way forward. I have a Mazda 6 has get up and go (not as fast as my Mustang) and is good on gas mileage

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had another little one on July 11th a baby girl Jasmine. The four door is the way to go. If you have to lift seats to get to the back with all the kit you have with babies it is a pain is the rear. The four door is the way forward. I have a Mazda 6 has get up and go (not as fast as my Mustang) and is good on gas mileage

Congrats!

4 doors is without doubt a defo if you wanna keep life simple. Also a tip you should check measurement of buggy against measurement of the boot for the car you're looking at. We didn't and Mrs had to sell her punt and buy an astra as the buggy just wouldn't fit :lol:

French cars suck balls.

If you're not bothered about image & looks but want practicality, bulletproof reliability, affordable servicing, and good resale value, get a Honda Jazz.

They kick the ass of all other cars in the class.

Score low on the cool factor but let's face it, no grown man is going out looking for poontang points in a small car with a baby seat & buggy.

Good call on the isofix MarkB, I'd bet a pretty penny the A4 has them as standard btw...

You just had a kid, Jay? Congratulations!
Not getting much sleep now, I'd guess?
Thanks I could use a sitter and some sleep
Congrats!
thanks
True. But the Peugeot 107 is French in badge only. As noted above, engineered by Toyota (basically the same as the Toyota Aygo)

This is my first Mazda and I'm very happy with it. It has a huge trunk with room for a set of golf clubs and a buggy with room left over.

Back