Caribbean Islands...

Morbyd

Who's been to them? Which one(s), aside from Cuba?

Did you enjoy it? Was it a 'sit on the beach' holiday or was there nightlife and other things to do?

Trying to decide where to go for New Years.

i've been to...

the dominican republic (punta cana area):
- mass tourism
- often huge resorts
- very, very nice beaches though, just what you expect of the carribean
- nightlife often only concentrated on the resorts
- almost no getting in touch with locals as tourists stay in resorts

tobago:
- wonderful island
- quite quiet, little nightlife
- nice beaches as well, but not the endless and pure white ones!
- easy to get in touch with locals, as hotels are smaller and tourists can easily discover a bit of the island or surroundings

grenada:
- wonderful island, even liked that one better than tobago!
- little more nightlife than tobago, but far from a pulsating party metropole
- very nice people, nice places and beaches. again, no endless-pure-white beaches

barbados:
- a bit snobby IMO
- quite a bit of nightlife
- everything seemed extremely expensive to me there!

--> i guess for nightlife, the best carribean islands would be puerto rico and jamaica, but i haven't been...
--> what about playa del carmen or cancun? yes, mass tourism - but there you definitely get nightlife (if that's somewhat important)

Jamaica - crap - dont do it - the most basic of the Islands...... Naff all to do unless you are out with a driver or an organised tour - we were in bed every night by 10pm smoking Ganja Mon!!!!!!

i guess for nightlife, the best carribean islands would be puerto rico and jamaica, but i haven't been...
--> what about playa del carmen or cancun? yes, mass tourism - but there you definitely get nightlife (if that's somewhat important)
Thanks for the feedback, Nostrum!

I was thinking Puerto Rico... definitely the cheapest flights from where we'll be staying in the States (aside from the Bahamas).... but then again it's technically part of the US and I kind of wanted to visit a different country.

I suppose Mexico is also an idea...

I was thinking Puerto Rico... definitely the cheapest flights from where we'll be staying in the States (aside from the Bahamas).... but then again it's technically part of the US and I kind of wanted to visit a different country.

I suppose Mexico is also an idea...

mexico?? i thought you wanted to go to a different country??;) :lol:

:lol:

True... they've almost completed their takeover of the southern US....

:lol: :lol:

how ironic your interpretation is!! to me it is more that you have extended your borders rather than that 'they' have takenover anywhere.

tom-a-tow/tom-ar-toe!:lol:

I thought you meant it that way, but I do see it the other way around. The reversal of historical trespasses... land taken mostly by force slowly infiltrated and recaptured. Spanish is becoming the lingua franca in the South!

Not complaining, though. Que sera sera! :lol:

I thought you meant it that way, but I do see it the other way around. The reversal of historical trespasses... land taken mostly by force slowly infiltrated and recaptured. Spanish is becoming the lingua franca in the South!

so are, whats left of, native americans gonna attempt some kind of military coup then??;) :lol:

Na... unfortunately, they don't have the numbers in their favor. They've got access to better weaponry nowadays though :lol:
(I'm part native american, by the way... would love to see the Navajo seize Arizona or something :lol:)

Na... unfortunately, they don't have the numbers in their favor. They've got access to better weaponry nowadays though :lol:
(I'm part native american, by the way... would love to see the Navajo seize Arizona or something :lol:)

what part??? i realised i had no idea of how many native americans there actually are nowadays in the US, so i looked it up.

it also said that, in relation to your other point, 9 of 10 native americans are of mixed blood.

What part? My scalp probably :lol:

Around 1/8 I think, which actually qualifies me as Native American under federal rules (I had this conversation with a tribal leader when I was in Alaska this summer). I'm probably due all kinds of benefits!

Still not exactly sure which tribe, though once I heard it was Blackfeet.

Went to Jamaica back in 1994...(was only 11 yrs old) remember it being pretty avg and not how we expected the carribean to be....stayed in Ocho Rios and could taste the oil from the big cruise liners in the sea when we swam, and got accosted by aggressive guys following us down the street trying to sell us (rubbish) carvings they'd made ( was a bit young to be offered their other wares!)...all in all family wasnt too impressed at the time

Ive heard some of the French Carribean Islands are meant to be lovely as well

As an aside my cousin just got back from Haiti and said it was a pacific island paradise...amazing pics as well...would consider it!

Just an advice to all the gays planning to go to Caribbean-Don't.There's been a lot of violence towards homosexuals there and beating up gays usually goes unpunished there.

Last edited by a moderator:
St.Lucia - very very beautiful, really sweet locals.
Barbados - More upmarket but not as beautilful.

Alright... the year I started this thread, I ended up in Cancun. The year after was Argentina. Last year Hawaii.

Sooo........ still haven't really been to the Caribbean :oops:

I thus reopen this thread for island suggestions! Trying to figure out where to spend New Years this time around. Somewhere relatively close to Florida.

St Barts was one idea but looks insanely expensive :( The missus has Jamaica in her head now but your reviews aren't glowing...

Back