* Careful what you dare Spotlighters to do after clubbing, you may end up in Ibiza! *

was really lovely to meet you guys! :D

pizzas at es tanco is a definite go for hungry people :lol::lol::lol:

ah, and that benirras rock jumping thing is definitely on the next time you fly down. it's been too long since i've done it!

Cap Bernat jump definitely on the radar then finally ?!!! :p8)8)8) .. been on my things to do before I die list for far too long ! :twisted:. I have now been firmly told that MiniMarc will ..... not under any circumstances ..... be participating in this :lol:.

Cap Bernat jump definitely on the radar then finally ?!!! :p8)8)8) .. been on my things to do before I die list for far too long ! :twisted:. I have now been firmly told that MiniMarc will ..... not under any circumstances ..... be participating in this :lol:.

yes marc will be the one staying in the pedalo boat, waiting for us and getting some footage of us trying to climb up cap bernat, that's half of the fun! :lol:

nice pix! :D

That has to be the best act of randomness in the history of the website I reckon it needs its own section on the main page to highlight just how poerful the internet, alcohol and Ibiza can be :lol:
Fair play lads, cracking story :spank:

Great story :D

Kimajy has some 'previous' of this sort of thing, I seem to recall :lol: Will give you guys some good chuckle over beers moments for many years....

This story has really gotten my interest. Absolutely brilliant thing to do. I wish I could sort stuff like this, however being tied to a 24/7 shift pattern and 2 children it makes it impossible.

to be fair if we hadnt been up all night and abit pissed it probs wouldnt of happend but slightly altered states can have great outcomes sometimes!

April Fool's Day

Finally caught up with life after a 10 day grapple with technology ... and found time to put a few words down about what we actually did in Ibiza as I promised to do.

April Fool's Day

Reckon it may have been the glass of bubbly on April Fool's Day in the sunshine of a Twickenham garden, after a musically disappointing night at Fabric, that triggered the whole thing :oops:...
I'd driven 5 hours straight to Fabric the night before with a fully loaded car on my way back up to the Thames Valley ready for (best intentions) a week's work. This meant passport, clothes, laptop, etc. were all to hand in the boot – making the decision to go that much easier to reach :p. In truth I could have found a whole host of reasons why I couldn't .. but sometimes the urge is strong and it's good to ‘just do it' - Fool's Day or not ! Most things can be worked through where there's sufficient will .. 8)

Managed to book everything on-line or over the phone in about an hour and a half.. 4 flights, hotel (through Laterooms.com), car hire (by phone with Hiper in Spain), excess insurance and (biggest challenge) affordable Heathrow parking through Holiday Extras at Purple Parking (Business) – just under £40 for 3 days and close enough to Terminal 5.

Last 2 seats to Barcelona on British Airways (with a little help from Avios), and onwards to Ibiza with Vueling (bit of a rip-off last minute but still way less than Ryanair ‘on the day'). The hotel and car were plain sailing. Left with booking references and flight times scribbled on the back of an envelope, on a wing and a prayer ! :confused:

Trip out was not entirely uneventful (^^ !), but before 10.45pm we were through the green arrivals channel and out of the airport into the waiting Hiper minibus to pick up the car. Smelt the air – it finally dawned on us both that we had actually made it :p:twisted::p. Setting out towards San Antoni on the Ronda, despite the now severe sleep deprivation, could only feel joyful at being back in Ibiza 8)8)8).
Stowed the car round the back of the Hostal Tarba. Keys to our rooms were waiting for us, no fuss at all, and we still had time for a welcome beer at the bar before it closed up. On discovering my laptop was ‘dead on arrival', we decided to have a drive round San Antoni and the Bay - just to check out how it looked this time of night in early April, and so I could “accept and move on” :)roll:) from the technological disaster with relative ease !

It was heading towards midnight and very quiet indeed – fountains looked lovely as always but driving through the West End and Calo d'es Moro, it was asleep bar some take-aways and a few local kids on the corner. Headed out past the Egg through Cala de Bou and back from the turning to Cala Tarida. Just a few cars and some cops driving around doing their nightly patrols. We both badly needed some kip – it had been 40 hours since either of us had seen a bed by now, so we decided to skip a possible boogie at Blue Marlin and turned in by about 1am.

Monday 2nd April

Woke up around 8am to a bit of adrenaline over the work I had promised to get sorted by 9 (UK time) .. and to a power cut. So couldn't re-test the laptop anyway.

Quick shower and checked on MiniMarc ... who was clearly still in need of another hour or so in bed ! No coffee as no power, so I grabbed a light breakfast. Comedy interludes from what turned out later to be an African Grey Parrot behind some screens in the breakfast room - something kept calling “Hola” sporadically in a kazoo-style voice, seemingly from nowhere:lol:. Caused some proper confusion ... and stifled sniggers (OK – I lost it completely in the corner):lol: :lol: :lol:, as I tried to work out what/who it was and where it was coming from with all sorts of possibilities coming to mind :twisted:.

Headed out into San Antoni to do the important chores ... stocked up first with cartons of cigarettes from the Tabac by the Car Wash and took my laptop in to the computer supply/repair shop round the corner to see what was up. Definitely not the power cable – it was dead :evil:. So called UK from the side of the road, got someone to send the important e-mails out and set a bunch of Out-of-Office Assistants ;). Having done all I could do to avert chaos and manage out my unscheduled absence, TIME TO RELAX :p:D!

Collected MiniMarc from the Tarba (both of which had power by now ;)) and we headed out. Hadn't got my detailed maps with me, so we stopped by the Tourist Office near the Egg to pick up a basic one, which would do for emergencies. Next stop - nearest Supermarket heading out of town for a few basic supplies (and things we'd both forgotten to pack :rolleyes:).

All set, we were on our way to Port de Sant Miquel well before 11am :eek:, now beginning to feel like we were properly ‘on holiday'. What an unexpected treat 8)! The roadworks on the PM-804 which had been going on last Summer were completed and s****y new cycle tracks were in place along the road from Santa Gertrudis to San Miquel de Balsanat. Far safer for everyone. The clouds were beginning to break up and it looked promising for some nice weather as we parked up behind the beach at the Port.

Stomachs feeling very fragile but in need of calories, I managed to drink over ½ a litre of chilled Gazpacho from a carton and we both managed some ad hoc chorizo / salami on granary from the Supermarket purchases to keep us going.

Headed to the left of the beach and up along one of my favourite walks on the island – the coastal path(s) to S'illa des Bosc (Sa Ferradura), to work off the weekend's excesses and regain some energy 8). Pines and Rosemary provided beautiful scents and the ubiquitous Ibiza geckos were discreetly milling around a fallen tree. Sun was coming out as we arrived at the tiny strip of sand/earth connecting the island to the mainland. The gates of the island fortress were open and we very nearly wandered straight in, but decided to stick to the coastal rocks, not least because we didn't have a proper camera with us.

First (and only) swim for me of the trip – I'd brought along a neoprene t-shirt and Thermocline top. With these the water was already easily warm enough to be comfortable especially as the sun was out now 8)8).

Stayed a while in the sunshine before heading back to the car and drove up to Hacienda Na Xamena to see if we could get onto the Terrace to take in the view. The hotel wasn't open yet although there were a few workmen and staff preparing the place eating their packed lunches. Clambered round the surrounding small buildings, but the main site was fully fenced off.
As we were about to leave, a group of German tourists had rung a bell and raised one of the staff. They were asking questions at the door. When they finished, I tried to persuade the rather gorgeous Swedish girl to let us on to the Terrace for some photos .. she was on her own and agreed we could return after 3pm when her colleague was back from lunch, to get access. We never made it back but it was nice of her to offer.

Headed back down the windy road and along the coast to Cala Benirras, for a look-see. Stayed for a drink at Restaurant 2000 but we were still not quite capable of handling a full meal. People of Ibiza were out lunching – small dogs, 40-something ladies in leather boots (on the sand) sporting a rather sexy and very hip 80s-biker look :)p:p).. quite the time-warp and rather refreshing. Less sunny now, but there were fewer clouds inland - so we decided to go check out Atzaro, which I knew would be open.

Headed towards Atzaro through Can Bernat and Can Marquet - the countryside had been really lovely everywhere. Saw loads of Almond trees in flower, a Cherry plantation also in full flower, Citrus trees, plenty of fennel in flower at the sides of the road and amazing gnarled trunks of hundreds of Olive trees. Everywhere was much greener than in Summer - more picturesque for sure. :D

Atzaro was quiet but not ‘deserted' ... and exceptionally peaceful. The sun was out and we had a good wander round the grounds, swimming pool, Lap Pool, Spa area etc. Fallen tangerines from the garden were piled on tables and lying under the trees, although trying one they were not the sweetest ! This place is an amazing property and I really liked it without the City Bankers on mobile phones at the pool who arrive later in the year :)roll:). I would definitely stay here. Atzaro, along with the Mirador de Dalt Vila in Ibiza Town and IRH @ Pikes are, i.m.o, the nicest hotels to stay at in Ibiza in their different ways.

In stark contrast to some other pricey establishments in Ibiza, Atzaro is classy (in a relaxed Mediterranean sense). The grounds are truly beautiful and there are plenty of beds to lounge around on in the gardens, amongst the sculptures and plantings. A lovely place to meditate too. The only thing I am not fond of is the number of frogs in the ponds. Whilst natural, they do make an intrusive noise to my ear – I would rather hear birdsong in a Spa area than competitive croaking ! However, you don't hear them in the other parts of the grounds.

In blazing sunshine of the mid-afternoon, hot enough to tan but still cool enough not to overheat, temptation ‘got the better' and a ceremonial Mojito was summoned !! :p:D

A few people were still lunching at the restaurant, including a large table of French, some Germans and Spanish. From the chap's tell-tale long-sleeved shirt accompanying Jermyn Street pale green shorts, there may have been an English couple too .. but people were enjoying their own time here and we didn't intrude. Without being really ready to appreciate a full meal, we decided not to stay to eat, and instead headed into Santa Eularia and along Calle San Vicente in search of tapas, well and truly relaxed.

We were a little early to get much choice and by now pretty starving, so settled on the Restaurant on the corner with tables overlooking the small fountain in the street beyond (name always escapes me), which was already open. Glass of wine and 3 tapas for about 12 Euros I think – Calamari, Spanish Meatballs and Pork. Not spectacular but just about enough to keep hunger at bay for a bit longer.

We decided to head back to San Antoni via Platja d'en Bossa to see how much of a ghost-town it really was out of season.. parked up on the opposite side of the road to Mumak etc. and had a walk around. Some pretty half-hearted early efforts to drink going on at a bar in Jet, and the “post-Space late breakfast bar” had some signs of life too. But not much else. A stiff breeze was blowing off the sea as we had a short stroll on the beach near Bora Bora and temperature was dropping pretty fast. We didn't stay long and skipped checking out the Nassau/La Plage end of town, other than driving out past Space. PDB was really not a place either of us felt we'd like to wind up staying for a holiday at this time of year all in all – far nicer options to be had.

Neither of us having been before, we resolved to find the famous ‘Pink Panther' in the Bay for a drink. With no clue which part of the Bay it was in, suffice to say after driving to Cala de Bou via Sant Josep de sa Talaia we wound up walking a considerable distance, asking at least 5 times where to go and ended up wandering along a deserted stretch of beach in front of one of the hotels. On the ‘plus', I managed to buy another proper Martina Postales road map (highly recommended) from one of the hotel receptions along the way.

It was all a strange contrast after the day we'd had. Felt a few spots of rain but nothing serious. When we finally found it (virtually next to Bucaneros in the Bay – I knew where that was if anyone we'd asked had just said !!!!), Sue Pink was very gregarious and welcoming, in her own unique way. Partook of some ‘local specialities' and being absolutely shattered and starving by now, ordered a pizza (each !) from the adjacent restaurant (there being no ½ chickens left). Couldn't tell you what match was on – nothing spectacular, but plenty of screens for people looking for somewhere to watch a particular game whilst out there.

We turned in at the Hostal Tarba a little after 11pm – determined to make the most of our last day tomorrow.

Tuesday 3rd April

Woke before my alarm, at just gone 7am, feeling pretty chilly. Hot bath (hardly ever get one of those these days !) was a nice start to the morning. We'd had breakfast and were on the road before 8.30am, off in search of more Almond blossom.

Headed out past the turning to Pikes to Capella de Forada and then turned left to Santa Agnes through sa Coma. Stunning drive in the early morning. Decided to explore the smaller road passing Puig d'en Jaume towards San Mateu d'Albarca and then up the Caminos to the ‘end of the line' above Cala d'Albarca. Green valleys, hamlets, loads of terraces and vineyard plantations – it all felt rather ‘French'. Only a handful of Almond trees though – we saw far more in the North. Stopped for a couple of ‘snaps' along the way and I noticed loads of pale pink alliums growing wild in the grasslands.

At the end of the Camino, parked up – the track was just too steep, very rock-strewn and eroded to continue safely (car was petrol 1.2L ... limits just a bit on the light side for this – may have tried it in a 1.6 or 2.0L, having someone else along to help if we ditched or burst a tyre, but I think MiniMarc may have had something to say about such an idea !!!).

A seemingly abandoned 4x4 was nestled in the trees and the remains of a previous campfire was now covered in moss. Someone had clearly been roughing it up here at some point last year. Views of the bay were rather obscured by the pines.. but walking down the steep track, some glimpses were there to be had. Very spectacular – especially the fishermens' boat huts at the bottom of the cliff ... could only be accessed in another boat or with a very long climb down.

We returned to the car and drove back past San Mateu to Santa Gertrudis and on towards Ibiza Town. It was not even 11am. Seeing the sign to Jesus, we decided to turn off and check out s'Estanyol, a little refuge even in the height of the Summer. The one other car in the car park at the end of the dirt track left as we arrived. It was only a little choppy and some light wind, but I decided not to swim.

Cracked open some beers and explored the barred-up PK2.. I climbed up on the roof terrace where a drinks trolley still bearing the Diesel Island plaque from last year had been left out. We were visited by a fisherman and his very friendly puppy passing through, but other than that we had the place to ourselves. Had a good chat over a beer whilst watching the ferries and ships sail past. It's a simple spot, but one which leaves a strong impression.

Headed on through Marina Botafoch past Pacha into Ibiza, but after sitting in the traffic it was quite clear neither of us were in any mood to be in a town with the countryside there for the taking. So we drove straight out again – headed for Cala d'Hort. My first time actually leaving the car there in a while. Have tried to park several times over recent Summer trips and just left with the parking stress and crowds. No such issues today !

It was a little after midday and we decided to fuel up with a proper meal at El Carmen. The Ibizan Calamari speciality was going to take 30-40minutes so MiniMarc had Calamari fried in olive oil instead, and I had Red Mullet, all with huge helpings of vegetables and potatoes, Alioli and Olives on the side, and ... no booze !!! The food was pretty good and fresh, but it's not cheap – bill was about 40 Euros for 2 of us.

15-minute kip on the beach willing the food to settle a bit before our next expedition .. to Sa Pedrera. Sign is down again so it helps to know where to turn off onto the Camino.. although you could pretty easily work it out with maybe a bit of trial and error – and a good detailed map (or some good instructions).

It was a little cool, but as we parked up, a load of pretty fit girls in short shorts and vests came hiking down the path, clearly a group, followed by a guide wearing a ‘Boot Camp Ibiza' t-shirt. After our gluttonous lunch it did seem quite fitting that we'd chosen the same place as them to come and hike it off ! Decided we maybe ought to man up a bit and ditch the Jeans .. well, maybe when we got to the Torre anyway ... and if the clouds blew over. Lol.

Took the easy route straight to the Torre des Savinar watchtower, past the concentric stone circles by the cliff edge, and straight up to the rooftop. Sun came out pretty much right on cue as we neared the Tower. Spotted people camping down by Atlantis, and the cliff-cave on the opposite side was clearly in occupation. Other than that, no-one came any closer than the stone circles and we had the rooftop to ourselves in brilliant sunshine. Perfect spot to relax and after it was clear the sun was staying out, decided to catch some rays. It's always very hard to leave this spot. One of my favourite places on Earth.

Called McRackin from the top of the tower rooftop and arranged a meet-up with Nostrum at 7pm at Golden Buddha in Calo d'es Moro. Plan set ! When we eventually dragged ourselves away, we headed to the only nearby spot I could think was guaranteed not to be a disappointment after such a fantastic experience – Cala Conta.

There were a few people there when we arrived and the restaurant was open. As if laid on specially, there were two free sunbeds on the beach, protected from the prevailing breeze. After a beer and a snooze in the sun we resolved to head back towards San Antoni. Refuelled the car ready for tomorrow's departure on the way in and realizing we still had well over an hour in hand headed to nearby Punta de Sa Galera (sometimes called Cala Yoga).

It's often quite busy in Summer but there were only a handful of people enjoying the dramatic rock formations when we arrived (via the camino route !) It's a really beautiful place – I haven't been for about 3 years or more, so was really nice to return and see it at a quiet time (photos above).
Arrived early at Calo d'es Moro in time for a stroll along the coastal path to the Sunset Strip for another (small) beer on the decking opposite Savannah. At Cafe del Mar, preparations were underway for the 123 Festival Press Conference with much Bacardi in evidence. We retained our sang froid and headed back to Golden Buddha for our meet-up with McRackin.

As said above, it was really great to meet out of season with some proper time to talk and enjoy a good meal. Nostrum arrived fresh from the Press Conference and we all agreed the all-you-can-eat pizzas at Es Tanco sounded too good an offer to refuse. Great pizzas they were, too – and a very nice bottle of wine. I think we came out under 15Euros each after 4 huge pizzas had been brought to the table and every slice dispatched.

Our flight was due to leave at 8.50am the next morning so after a great evening, we bid our farewells, emptied the car contents ahead of time and contemplated the likelihood (with some trepidation) of waking up in time to get to the airport !

Last edited by a moderator:
Wednesday 4th April

Didn't feel too bad at 6am. No-one at the hotel desk so we handed our keys in at the bar and I left my e-mail for them to send the bill on. Hiper's office was still barred up when we arrived at the airport, so we parked up in the 30-minute free car park opposite the terminal, and went off to check in. No queue and back out again within 15minutes. Decided to drive to Cala Jondal nearby to wait it out until we could raise the guy at Hiper.

Walked through Yemanja and had a last sit on the pontoon there and stroll around the shore / Blue Marlin in the early morning hours as the waves lapped the rocks. It's always hard to leave but by now I had so much to get done back home that staying longer would likely have been stressful with no way of batting back essential work issues with my defunkt laptop. But the thought did cross the mind !

Returned the car at 8am on the dot and were driven round the corner to the terminal in it. Very comfortable trip home through a rainy Barcelona – it was over again .. gone, but never forgotten. Hit London calm and restored... bid MiniMarc farewell and back home about an hour and a half later – just a few days and thousand miles on from leaving on Saturday evening.

Despite the inevitable chaos about to unfold to catch up and get back on track, I knew with such memories fresh in my mind I could handle it all. No regrets at all. Can't wait to return - as always. 8)

... a load of pretty fit girls in short shorts and vests came hiking down the path, clearly a group ...
followed by a guide wearing a ‘Boot Camp Ibiza' t-shirt ...
no doubt a pornoproduction was going on there :eek: :p :twisted:

Spectacular review!!!!!! i was laughing my head off for most of it... :lol:

“accept and move on”... :lol::lol::lol: that sounds very final.. :p

s****y new cycle tracks were in place along the road from Santa Gertrudis to San Miquel de Balsanat.... i'm liking this part a lot!! 8)

oh, one last thing.. would this be the parrot in question by any chance??

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150743106034432

:lol::lol:

no doubt a pornoproduction was going on there :eek: :p :twisted:

I was actually wondering whether it was something to do with this :

http://www.no1bootcamp.com/index.php?page=dates_and_prices ...

but you may be right :lol::lol::lol: .. hope there was no-one in the bushes with a camcorder or we may have ended up as unpaid 'extras' ... or more likely have to be "edited out" :lol: ..... perhaps the cliff-cave was production HQ :eek::eek::eek: and caveman was not a resident after all :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

“accept and move on”... :lol::lol::lol: that sounds very final..

It was a poignant moment .... that laptop had been my trusty companion for over 5 years and had been with me through many hair-brained adventures :cry:

s****y new cycle tracks were in place along the road from Santa Gertrudis to San Miquel de Balsanat.... i'm liking this part a lot!! 8)

We thought of you actually ;) .. you'd love them - virtually straight road too would make a very easy run along there now.

oh, one last thing.. would this be the parrot in question by any chance??

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150743106034432

:lol::lol:

YES - that is the very culprit ... the Spanish-speaking parrot clearly got you too !!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Great story :D

Kimajy has some 'previous' of this sort of thing, I seem to recall :lol: Will give you guys some good chuckle over beers moments for many years....

Indeed .. considerably more 'previous' than I dare admit to :!: :lol:

... though things are far more considered nowadays - the early ones had far more in common with this :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PczDtDmCDs

The moment at 6:19 strikes a particularly poignant chord for some reason :oops:

Brilliant review

"Called McRackin from the top of the tower rooftop"

How loud is your shout?

:arrow: yatooooo ! !

2704505435_9c398f81b6.jpg

flickr

Back