Can you see continental Spain or Mallorca from Ibiza?

tclubber

I am quite intrigued by photographs in the recent Spotlight article on Es Vedra. If you look closely, it seems there are outlines of remote mountains on some photos near the horizon, which must be on the Spanish continent (there is no closer land in that direction).

I myself never saw anything but pristine horizon when looking out to the sea (except obviously for Formentera and smaller Pityuses). So do you need exceptional luck to get a glimpse of the European continent, or do you just need to know where and how to look?

And can you see Mallorca from Ibiza too?

yes and yes.

in autumn and winter, with good weather, you can easily see the mainland (cabo de jávea) from the west coast and the south - best at sunset. and from portinatx you can see mallorca, best in the morning. you need a clear day though for both

If I’m right in thinking, I’ve seen the same views from hostel le torre, Around October half term.

Looks like a painting!
Lol I caught an ex forum member out years ago with a picture I took from the hotel room of es vedra, open mouth emoji wow where is this hotel and what a view lol... It was a picture of es vedra from the hotel but it was painted on the kitchen wall.... ??? I miss @icey
It wasn't the first time I was called a Fckn C#nt in 3 different languages ...

Last edited:
The other way round but apparently on a clear day you can see Ibiza from that really tall hotel in Benidorm.

also, there are some spectacular pics from a viewpoint high above and behind barcelona with views to mallorca

Not Ibiza; but still of interest I hope - although on the face of it this picture looks unremarkable, it's actually taken from Winter Hill (Lancashire) around 1000' and is looking towards North Wales, the "island" is the Great Orme (Llandudno is below the horizon) and the marked hill further beyond is on Anglesey, the top 20' or so of a hill there - the rest is below the horizon. That's appz 75 miles away (120km) so I'm looking at basically a 6m (20') hill from 75 miles away.

The clever money is on covid causing much less air pollution so it's possible to have maximum visibility more often. Would like to learn, therefore, how often the mainland has been seen from Ibiza this year, more than normal?P1290038 - Copy - Copy.jpg 1080.jpg

Back