Can anybody answer? From old times.

It does not look the same -but then, the memories fade. I do remember that the interior was a cave and I thought it was part of the hills/mountains that surround San An.
I do not think that I will be able to revisit Ibiza for at least another year or two and then it depends upon my circumstances - meanwhile, I'll live on the memories and catch up with what others are writing.
More of my stories to follow................

takefive said:
I do remember that the interior was a cave and I thought it was part of the hills/mountains that surround San An

i have here in front of me a curious b/w picture of el refugio with a group of people chatting and behind them various jazz musicians painted on a white wall - do you remember that wall? :p

how about a jazz club called la reja opposite el refugio? :rolleyes:

the newspaper could have been the one started by pam deakin and is now known as 'ibiza now'

Another memory.!!!!!!

My Brother - he is possibly the champion when it comes to vomiting in the most curious and the most unlikeliest of places, usually after having far too much of the local liquor - the stories he and I could tell of his exploits would fill a book.
We were on our way home - so like good little boys we decided to have an early night as the flight was leaving at an unearthy early hour sometime between 10am and midday. Wrong idea! We went to the bar and that was that! The following morning before setting off to the airport we decided that we needed breakfast in order to soak up the drink that was awash in our systems, so we looked in the fridge and all we could find was eggs and mayonnaise. It was decided that we would have egg mayo sandwiches for breakfast and would take some to the airport to eat later. We also found a large onion and the egg and onion mayo mixture was made and eaten. We arrived at the airport in a minibus that had seen better days and had lost it's springs many years before, duly shaken up and feeling a little queasy and just wanting to get to the plane and get home. My Brother - He of the champoin chunder got down from the minibus and announced that he did not feel too well and was going to be sick and walked across to the side of the doorway and promptly evacuated the contents of his stomach, Egg,onion and mayo sandwiches coupled with the excesses of the previous night was not a pretty sight.
Nothing spectacular about this, I hear you say. Except, that standing in the same corner, uunseen by my brother - and us- was an airport policeman in his smart uniform and highly polished boots. He was the recipient of my brother's evacuations and promptly ran off covered in foul and evil smelling deposits. My brother, who was not fazed by this looked up and said "I feel a lot better now" and we all went into the airport, checked in and eventually left for the UK. all the time we were in the airport we were keeping one eye open for the authorities to come and take us away, we were glad to get on the plane. We later found out that my brother, who by now, was feeling OK had decided to "thoughtfully dispose" of the carefully made sandwiches we had brought with us and had stashed them in various parts of the airport and laughingly told us - on the plane - that he could imagine the smell around the airport as the mid-day sun heated up the contents of the sandwiches. Oh, what fun we had when we were young!!!!!. A couple of months later when we arrived back in Ibiza for another visit we crept through the airport carefully avoiding any eye contact with any person in uniform and trying to look as innocent as possible. This time we were better behaved!!

stephen said:
the newspaper could have been the one started by pam deakin and is now known as 'ibiza now'

apparently ibiza now started in 1984!! :rolleyes:

maybe the newspaper was santa u - an english newspaper appeared in 1975 and produced by patricia dodd? :idea:

Thanks for your efforts in trying to help me remember the newspaper - I am now most confused as to the title of the matter. I remember that it was in tabliod form and consisted of only four pages - i.e. front,inside1,inside2,and back. it was written in english - naturally! - and I feel sure that it was a free issue, probably financed by the ads and was distributed to all the hotels and bars.That's about all I can remember, as I have previously wtitten, for the life of me I cannot remember the title - Sod this getting old bit!!!!!

Sandy's

I've enjoyed reading this post - thanks for your memories takefive.

But did you ever go to Sandy's bar? Legendary place in Santa Eulària that used to attract quite a jet set UK thespian crowd i believe - never go there myself, but story is that was hangout for Diana Rigg, Terry Thomas, even Sid James??

I met Sandy in Ib Town a couple of years back - great guy. Now retired.

Sandy's

I've enjoyed reading this post - thanks for your memories takefive.

But did you ever go to Sandy's bar? Legendary place in Santa Eulària that used to attract quite a jet set UK thespian crowd i believe - never go there myself, but story is that was hangout for Diana Rigg, Terry Thomas, even Sid James??

I met Sandy in Ib Town a couple of years back - great guy. Now retired.

No - Not really our "scene". We did meet Terry Thomas though, We were in the Orangr Tree restuarant in Sta. E and he came in looking for a table, the place was full and we, sort of joking, offered him and his wife to share our table and they accepted. We had a brilliant night and he was charm personified. He suffered from Parkinsons Disease and at times during the evening showed all the symptoms but did not let it put a dampener on the evening. He invited us to go to his Finca whenever we were over there but we never took up the invite, pity, as he was a nice man and I am sure that he would have been a good host. Maybe that was another friendship that we missed out on.

Sol d'en Serra

hi all,

could i just ask mcrackin, your pictures of Sol d'en Serra look great, whereabouts is this beach? The restaurant also looks nice too!

We went to Ibiza for the first time last year, just a one week break in May staying in San Miguel, and I can honestly say it was one of the best holidays I ever had!! We are looking forward to returning next year for two weeks!

Thanks all,

:D

stephen said:
the grapes and asparragos are still there.
maybe robo our other mod will be able to give you some info as he's out there in es cana in his parents place.?

just saw this post.
brill post!!!
anyway, just to correct you stephen my parents place is on asparagos complex, infact the apartment is very, very close to the asparragus

McRackin said:
McRackin said:
takefive said:
I also remember a restaurant in San Antonio called "El Refugio" - is that still there?

no - el refugio (back then owned by pepe from space) is a music bar called gorms garage nowadays!! :D

and this is how el refugio looks like more than 20 years later:

ibiza04.jpg

pepe (space) still owns the place!! ;)

Is there anywhere on the Island Pepe dosnt have a hand in.........

rossy28 said:
could i just ask mcrackin, your pictures of Sol d'en Serra look great, whereabouts is this beach? The restaurant also looks nice too!

next to cala llonga!! :idea:

rossy28 said:
We went to Ibiza for the first time last year, just a one week break in May staying in San Miguel, and I can honestly say it was one of the best holidays I ever had!!

i like san miguel too because of the nice beaches (es pas de s'illa, caló d'es multons, port de sant miquel, cala benirràs) and of course, my dream house:

pict0002.jpg
<--- 8)

Robo said:
he ain't as bad as mambo owner javier he owns litterally everything in san an

he has at least nine bars in san antonio and san antonio bay but some of them are rented - so he doesnt own that much!! :p

(do you know who are salvador salinero and catalina cardona? how about miguel garcia, juan pantaleoni or fransua? ;) )

N8 said:
and es paradis, and loads of bars, and god knows what else!

wrong :!:

you're confusing pepe roselló (space) with pepe aguirre (es paradis)!! :lol:

i could tell you who owns lots of the bars but that would be too boring!! :rolleyes:

and if i told you - you would know as much as i do!!
aetsch013.gif

Back